How late at night do you exercise?

Options
Hi, I'd be keen to hear what time of the night others exercise at. I sometimes find that by the time I get home from work, put the kids to bed it's after 8 at night. Is this too late to be working out then having dinner? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I work overnights so I workout on my breaks at work on the days I work, usually around 1am and about 3am. My sleeping pattern is never the same. Sometimes I sleep right when I get off work at 7am, other times I don't get to sleep until late afternoon, then there are days where I sleep a couple of hours at a time several times through out the day, (I am home with a 1yo and a 4yo so I sleep when they let me), and then on my off days I sleep at night. So I don't think my body ever really knows what time of day it is, I don't see a problem working out late.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't get my workouts done till 9-11pm at night. I'm happy to get it done no matter what time as busy as it can get for me.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Around 11pm
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    I have been out jogging at 11:30 at night!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I try not to exercise too late because I get all hepped up and have trouble falling asleep. That being said, Wednesday I'm scheduled for a Hip Hop class at 7pm. Looking forward to it.
  • RachelRemkes
    RachelRemkes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh good I'm not the only one who does exercise late at night. It's 9pm here in NZ and I'm off to jump (or run) on the treadmill.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You might have to experiment to see what works best for you. In my experience, everyone has an individual biological clock and it's much easier to simply plan around yours.If you're too exhausted to work out at the planned time, then try switching to a different time of day.

Working out late works well for some people, but for others it disturbs their nighttime (and morning) routine. It depends on a lot of things like how many hours of sleep you need, how early do you have to wake up, how much time you need to unwind before bed, and when your energy level tends to peak and trough. If you know that you'll be fading starting at 9pm then it's better to plan earlier workouts.

8pm doesn't feel late to me, but I'm a night owl by nature. I'm there during the very last hours that my gym is open, which is 10-11pm in winter and 9-10 in summer. I do this for several reasons: partly because I have more energy at those times, because I hate crowds, and because I live alone and don't have to co-ordinate my schedule with anybody else's. On the flip side, I hate waking up at 8am and can only do it with the aid of several cups of coffee. Waking up at 6am would be absolute torture for me.

Anyway, that's a night owl's perspective. :smile: I'm sure some morning people will weigh in as well. In summary, everyone is different, and the "right" time is the one that works best for you.