agave not so awesome

Options
2»

Replies

• zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    so, I'm a scientist. I'm also someone who has never tried agave stuff, nor do I intend to. BUT, I cannot find any scientific claims supporting these articles. The articles reference a small study on bees. Bees. Humans aren't bees.

I think folks should stick to scientific articles that have a large number of human samples. Double blind studies even better. These types of articles fall in line with the raw milk vs pasturized milk fights or veggie eaters vs meat eaters. In other words, "agave is good. No, wait, agave is bad.......no, I mean, agave is good here, but not here"...etc, etc....

catch my drift?

Haha, I hear you! I have the same gripe about research on organic foods!
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It also tastes like carpet glue.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    BUT DR.OZ SAID THAT I SHOULD USE IT!!!!

lol...
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I just don't like the taste, and it's one of the many, many sweeteners, both natural and artificial, that makes me feel sick even in small amounts.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yep - the agave is healthy myth being busted ;-) Here is another article posted in one of my other groups

http://butterbeliever.com/2011/11/04/is-agave-nectar-a-healthy-sweetener/
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    This article makes unscientific comparisons and then draws unfounded conclusions from those initial comparisons. I wouldn't put any stock in it.

Indeed... still an interesting read, as a vegan I don't eat honey, so i'll still have my agave every rare occasion!
  • lucykg1980
    Options
    Oh gawds.
    Well, I've got a bottle I'm not throwing it out. Hardly use sugars anyway, but i like the odd cup of tea with a spoon of it in and will use it til the bottle ends. Then I will jump onto the next bandwagon............hornets nectar.......which will no doubt be cancer causing and result in early death for many 1's in 1 trillions

Lol. Exactly.
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    I don't eat sugar but this is exactly why I don't buy into all the faddy health foods that are constantly coming out.
    I like to use the term "if it's not broken don't fix it" quite a bit when it comes to stuff like this....
    Great read though, thanks!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who thinks that this Weston Price dude is a scam artist? I see him quoted around, usually saying things that are a total crock regarding supposed "traditional" diets.
  • PrettyGrit
    PrettyGrit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It is seriously disturbing how much B.S the American public are served up daily :(
    Can't you buy truly un-adulteratated foods there or what?
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    so, I'm a scientist. I'm also someone who has never tried agave stuff, nor do I intend to. BUT, I cannot find any scientific claims supporting these articles. The articles reference a small study on bees. Bees. Humans aren't bees.

I think folks should stick to scientific articles that have a large number of human samples. Double blind studies even better. These types of articles fall in line with the raw milk vs pasturized milk fights or veggie eaters vs meat eaters. In other words, "agave is good. No, wait, agave is bad.......no, I mean, agave is good here, but not here"...etc, etc....

catch my drift?

I agree but you can't expect the vast majority of the American public to delve into the peer-reviewed scientific literature on anything--whether that's global warming or whether fruit is truly the evil that some low-carb fanatics make it out to be.

What complicates the matter on agave is that there's not a lot of studies on it to begin with. The best folks without a scientific background can do is to consider the legitimacy and credentials of those making health claims:

So when you have nutritionists and nutrition professors and public health experts questioning whether it's wise to use agave instead of sugar or honey, people are totally right to be cautious of the stuff.

Some sources:

“Agave syrup is almost all fructose, highly processed sugar with great marketing,” said Dr. Ingrid Kohlstadt, a fellow of the American College of Nutrition and an associate faculty member at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. “Fructose interferes with healthy metabolism when (consumed) at higher doses”, she told me.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jonny-bowden/debunking-the-blue-agave_b_450144.html

"Currently, we don’t have clinical studies as to agave’s safety in diabetes. Unless there is a label stating the exact percentage of fructose in the agave nectar, it can range as we just talked about from 55% up. So if you are diabetic, your blood glucose may or may not be spiked…all depending on how much fructose is in the particular agave product consumed and your particular case of diabetes."
    http://www.susanmitchell.org/blog/2009/04/sweetener-update-agave-and-stevia/

Until some studies prove otherwise, I'll stick to sugar and honey.

It's kind of sad that there's so much conflicting nutritional info out there, the story seems to change every few years: Red meat was bad in the 70s; oat bran was the darling of the 80s; and now the rage is Paleo and gluten-free and organic. Agave may very well be a symbol of the "natural" movement gone too far, just like granola. I'm sure there will be other examples.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I saw this not too long ago. I have personally never used it, but my parents do.

I always stick to pure maple syrup. One of the few sweeteners with actual health benefits.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Is any "sweetener" really considered "healthy?" No.

No one is really consuming agave in the amounts that would be considered "harmful." It's an alternative sweetener and that's it. Vegans need an alternative to honey and cane sugar. Agave is a fine substitute in moderation, just like any other sweetener.
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    While the article is interesting and cause for thought, I don't think we should take it as the truth. We can't believe everything we read or are told. This is merely one side and I see no real science behind it. If, in fact, all of this were true, the makers of the stuff could not put certain things on the label and in their advertising and have it approved by the FDA.

Good points. Readers should keep in mind that the information comes from the Weston A. Price Foundation, which has been called "out of step with the world’s scientific literature" and criticized for promoting "a range of irresponsible and potentially dangerous ideas."

http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/fuhrman_dietary_myths.htm#storyContinued
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I prefer agave in its more refined and better known state. Tequila.

Thread probably should have ended after this was posted. Not much else needs to be said.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My son is allergis to honey, he uses maple syrup or agave necar- if we need something liquid. I use honey for me.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    While the article is interesting and cause for thought, I don't think we should take it as the truth. We can't believe everything we read or are told. This is merely one side and I see no real science behind it. If, in fact, all of this were true, the makers of the stuff could not put certain things on the label and in their advertising and have it approved by the FDA.

Good points. Readers should keep in mind that the information comes from the Weston A. Price Foundation, which has been called "out of step with the world’s scientific literature" and criticized for promoting "a range of irresponsible and potentially dangerous ideas."

http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/fuhrman_dietary_myths.htm#storyContinued

Yeah but scroll up and you'll see that legitimate nutritionists have questioned agave. That's enough for me.