WK 4 of C25K Problems

Options
Is anybody else having, or has anybody had, problems transitioning from week three to week four of the C25K program? I went through the first three weeks without much of a problem, but I'm having trouble with this fourth week. What are you doing to stay motivated? I know some people say to repeat the previous week until you can do it, but I feel like I should just keep working at my current week until I can accomplish it.

Replies

• RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    but I'm having trouble with this fourth week.

What is the difference on the 4th week ?
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I used that app to train for my first 1/2. When they tell you to complete the previous week they are telling you perfect advice. The only thing I would say is do the last run the entire run schedule for the next week to build strength, then after you complete this run start the next run you are failing on.

Other advice is sometimes you are running too fast for you fitness, your pace is starting out too fast because you feel good or maybe just are not ready to do that level. From experience download Nike+ or Runkeeper and run one with pace alerts every 1/4 mile so you will know exactly how fast you are running. The biggest mistake new runners make is that they don't know how to keep a pace.
  • getrip1
    getrip1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Neffesther,
    I am with you. It's too much at once to go from jogging 9 minutes total to 16 minutes total. The last 5 minutes were a killer, but I felt good that I was able to push through and finish.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    but I'm having trouble with this fourth week.

What is the difference on the 4th week ?

much longer stretches of running without walking.
    I think week 4 has an 8 minute stretch where previously the longest run was 5 minutes? or something like that.
    I thought week 5 was the worst. I think that's when you do your first 20 minute stretch...
    if I'm remembering it right?
  • getrip1
    getrip1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    With week 4 you alternate between jogging for 3 min, waking for 90 sec, jogging for 5 minutes, walking for 2.5 minutes, jogging for 3 min, walking for 90 sec and jogging for 5 min. Doing the 5 minute stretch is tough.

Compared to week 3 where you alternated between jogging and walking for 90 sec then 3 min.
  • kscouten
    kscouten Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble with passing week 4. I feel like I need to accomplish this week before moving on. Tonight I finshed my 3 workout for the week, and still had to slow down to almost a walk at the last 3 mins of my run. I can breathe alright my heart does feel like it will come out my throat but I can run past that. It is my legs from the knee down it will start hurting as soon as I start my last 5 mins. Does anyon have any advice. I was a runner years ago but can not seem to get it this time.
  • celiason81
    celiason81 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am having a really hard time getting through week 5. It seems like it took forever for me to get through that 8 min run, and now that 20 min run is kicking my butt!! One thing that's helped me is I created a distinct playlist that has songs that really encourage me to play at specific points in my run (around 12 min run, and of course, those last 5 minutes). It's helped to focus on the music and not on how long/far I have left to run.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I am on week 8 now and having to pause as it's killing my knees - but the more I have progressed, the more my gym mix has been what has pulled me through - find the music that motivates you the most and just think one song at a time :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Slow down for the longer runs - once I reduced the speed I could do the distance OK.
    Work on endurance first, then speed can come later.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with going back to the last week until you are feeling right on top of that, then you can move up again - there is no hard and fast rule about how long you do each week.
  • asystolern
    asystolern Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i had the worst time from week 5 to week 6 on my app. I slowed my run down and redid the week until I got it right. Now that I completed week 6, I actually restarted at week 3 day 1 and upped my speed on the treadmill. Keep it up and most importantly don't get discouraged! A slow run is better than no running!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    i had the worst time from week 5 to week 6 on my app. I slowed my run down and redid the week until I got it right. Now that I completed week 6, I actually restarted at week 3 day 1 and upped my speed on the treadmill. Keep it up and most importantly don't get discouraged! A slow run is better than no running!!

This is good advice. This is the week you start to learn you can run farther by slowing down.
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    I think a lot of it may be psychological. When I was doing it, a lot of the time going through my head was 'how am I going to run x minutes?' But I pushed through, I was more capable than I thought. The best feeling from the entire programme awaits you next week though. 20 minutes non stop, when you finish that the sense of accomplishment is incredible. Just keep going, don't be timid.
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes, SLOW DOWN! I have yet to run the 6mph that they want you to run. I am 5'3" so my legs are shorter and I cannot run as fast so quickly but I keep a great pace at what I can run. I jog in-between days so my run time is over a half hour straight.
  • lalapurple62
    Options
    I think a lot of it may be psychological. When I was doing it, a lot of the time going through my head was 'how am I going to run x minutes?' But I pushed through, I was more capable than I thought. The best feeling from the entire programme awaits you next week though. 20 minutes non stop, when you finish that the sense of accomplishment is incredible. Just keep going, don't be timid.
    My thoughts exactly, when i did c25k a while ago thats exactly what i did, and i let the old head talk me into not finishing it, with me it was definitely a physiological barrier that i gave into to, i kept telling myself ' i am not a runner, i cant do this' Try not to overthink it and just go with it.............good luck
  • kabarnes45
    kabarnes45 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had to repeat week 4 and week 5. Don't feel discouraged if you can not keep up with how quickly the program ramps up- I could not keep to the set schedule either. It really got to me so I had to switch to just adding 1min per week to keep from quitting. I would try to relax and keep working at it, even if you have to change to your own pace. Congrats on committing and getting this far. You can do this!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I suggest...
    Slow down...you should be able to speak a few words, otherwise you're going too fast
    Grit teeth
    Try not to think about what you're doing. Listen to music, or count cars, or anything but thinking about the fact that you're running longer than you've ever run before...
    Go for it!

In my opinion, if you repeat the previous week until you feel ready, you'll get stuck. I repeated a couple of runs during the programme (and believe me I was not in good shape when I started!) but used it as a last resort.
    Worry about speed later. I graduated from C25K last autumn and first timed 5K was 30:08. My PB is 24:21, which shows that the speed does come with practice!