Advice on how to lower body fat% and look more toned?

Options
Hello guys,

I've been on MFP for a while. I've started again 36 days ago because someone said I had a big *kitten*. No problem, I'm glad he gave me a kick in the big *kitten* :) to start watching my foods again and workout!

Here's the thing. I'm 1.70m (66,9 inch) and currently weigh 59kg's (130lbs). My BMI is just fine. The problem is that my body fat % is too high: currently 27,7% (started at 30,5%). It was tested at my gym where I get 'tested' every 3 months (weight, body fat%, blood pressure and condition).

I'm losing the weight, but is this also the best way to lose the body fat? Can someone give me some good advice on that? I'd like to reach a body fat % of 23-24% one day and just look toned (no more jiggles when I run or wave my arms).

Do I keep on losing weight = losing body fat? Or should I do certain exercizes?

Any advice is welcome and thank you in advance.

Replies

• chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    Not qualified to advise but look forward to the responses. I do need to lose weight as well as body fat, but my body fat is in much poorer shape than my weight.

I think the key is maintaining muscle whilst you lose weight, if you have weight to lose, so that's a mix of cardio and strength training and a good diet. If you don't have weight to lose as such, I suppose you'd need to build muscle to replace the fat you are burning. That might be more strength training than cardio but not 100% sure.
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    PS - wish I had a big *kitten*. Better than no *kitten* and looking like the "belly's gonna get ya" advert!!!! lol.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in responses as well.. it would seem weight training. But my bf% is also a shambles for my weight.. when I was 155 it was 31%!!!
  • Nikkibebe08
    Nikkibebe08 Posts: 127
    Options
    Bump..def interested in the responses..I need to tone and lower my bf% as well..
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is strength training. Lifting heavy weights. A book that a lot of people follow is "New Rules of Lifting for Women," I strongly recommend it. There is a group on this site for women that are following its approach. Good luck!
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    up your cardio slightly, i would recommend the elliptical trainer as this will tone your bum muscles at the same time, then do some light weights with 2 sets of 12 reps. have a look on google at different bum firming exercises. squats and lunges are great for that ;) good luck! x
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    There really is one solution you must exercise in a way that creates more muscle - One of the "easier" ways is to lift weight. Aerobics by themselves are not likely to achieve your goal, unless you are shredding or doing some of the more extreme types. With weight training or other resistance training you increase your metabolic rate, which is the rate at which the body burns fat. So by increasing muscle mass the body requires more energy to maintain the new mass; fat does not require much energy (some to carry it, :) ) Weight training will get you to that toned look, but it is a hard path. Ready?
  • shiftysheep
    shiftysheep Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would say a mix of high intensity interval training & weights, but eating right is about %80 of the battle. Lifting weights increase's lean muscle mass & that increase metabolism.

I would recommend these two articles on dead lifts & squats .

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/07/08/why-you-need-squats-in-your-workout-and-how-to-do-them-right/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/07/22/deadlift-the-ultimate-exercise-not-just-for-zombies/

Most women are scared of heavy weight because they think they will be big, but body builders who get massive don't get that big by accident. They have to bulk (eat a lot of calories while training to get big), also women struggle to get that big because it takes a lot of testosterone, So don't be scared of the weights.
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    @priesr

I'm already doing the crosstrainer/elliptical trainer (15min). Also interval running at 2% gradient (20min) and cycling (10min). I cycle to work as often as I can (9 miles in total).

Besides the cardio I do a number of weight exercizes which I don't know the english terms for.

Thank you for your advice! I'll be sure to Google!
  • shiftysheep
    Options
    Also work out in a fasted state to maximize your body's fat burn capability's.
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    Weight training will get you to that toned look, but it is a hard path. Ready?

READY!! :)
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    I would say a mix of high intensity interval training & weights, but eating right is about %80 of the battle. Lifting weights increase's lean muscle mass & that increase metabolism.

I would recommend these two articles on dead lifts & squats .

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/07/08/why-you-need-squats-in-your-workout-and-how-to-do-them-right/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/07/22/deadlift-the-ultimate-exercise-not-just-for-zombies/

Most women are scared of heavy weight because they think they will be big, but body builders who get massive don't get that big by accident. They have to bulk (eat a lot of calories while training to get big), also women struggle to get that big because it takes a lot of testosterone, So don't be scared of the weights.

Thank you! I'm going to read the articles as soon as I get home. And I have to agree, I'm also a bit scared of getting bulky, especially around my arms. But I guess I can always stop in time as soon as I start looking like the Hulk, right ? :)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights, small amounts of high intensity / intervals cardio and high protein diet, at least eating at maintenance. You need to gain a small amount of muscle in order to reduce BF% and look more toned / defined, and you will not do this from hours of cardio, light weights or eating at a deficit. Muscle weighs more than fat but is more dense, so you may actually gain a few pounds but will be smaller.

Look up stronglifts 5x5, or new rules of lifting for women. You will not get 'bulky' just from doing a few weights, it takes hours of training, very specific diet and a hell of a lot of hard work to gain that amount of muscle, it doesnt happen accidentally :-).
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    up your cardio slightly, i would recommend the elliptical trainer as this will tone your bum muscles at the same time, then do some light weights with 2 sets of 12 reps. have a look on google at different bum firming exercises. squats and lunges are great for that ;) good luck! x

This is a huge pile of wrong, in my opinion.

If you must do cardio, and I do it as I enjoy it but it isn't essential, the elliptical isn't a great choice. The amount of work you do on there is decptive - it is so low impact and so useless to do intervals on that its fat burning powers are among the lowest options in your gym. If you can do exercise that has an impact on your joints then ditch the elliptical for something more effective. Run, outside if you can or on a treadmill, or interval the hell out of a bike in the gym.

Also - using light weights for heavy reps does not "firm" or "tone" - it builds endurance - arguably a useful thing but not great for aesthetics. Save yourself some time and pick up heavy weights and do fewer reps to build some muscle, it is the muscle growing slightly which tightens the look of the body and gives that fit look.

Squats and lunges are great, I agree, but I like mine with heavy weights.
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options

If you must do cardio, and I do it as I enjoy it but it isn't essential, the elliptical isn't a great choice. The amount of work you do on there is decptive - it is so low impact and so useless to do intervals on that its fat burning powers are among the lowest options in your gym. If you can do exercise that has an impact on your joints then ditch the elliptical for something more effective. Run, outside if you can or on a treadmill, or interval the hell out of a bike in the gym.

Also - using light weights for heavy reps does not "firm" or "tone" - it builds endurance - arguably a useful thing but not great for aesthetics. Save yourself some time and pick up heavy weights and do fewer reps to build some muscle, it is the muscle growing slightly which tightens the look of the body and gives that fit look.

Ok, thanks! So less reps but more weight, is that correct? And what about legs/thighs? Any advice on those?
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Ok, thanks! So less reps but more weight, is that correct? And what about legs/thighs? Any advice on those?

Well, I've tightened my legs up considerably (and lost 95% of the horrid cellulite) through running and weighted squats and lunges. :-) Heavy weights, fewer reps, efficient cardio. I've tried everything else and this is what finally, finally, has started working for me.
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    AT 1.70 and 59KG you probably don't need to do any cardio/serious weight loss exercise, you probably just need to tone. which mean lift heavy!
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    DITCH THE CARDIO.
    Your actual weight is fine, but if you want to get things firmer, you will need to lift heavy. And before you ask how heavy - it's whatever you can handle without hurting yourself. Cardio is great for your aerobic system, but if that's not what you are wanting (which is what you've said) you don't have a great need for it.
    I've lost 10% body fat (currently 20%) pretty much on lifting alone as I hate cardio. So I'm probably a bit bias. So you might not want to listen to my advice.......... :wink:
  • shiftysheep
    Options
    Weighted squats & dead-lifts will give the fastest results, because they are full body compound exercises, they work your legs, core, back & arms. Make sure you start off light & practice form before trying to go heavy. Heavy is also a relative term, what is light for someone could be heavy for someone else.

As a female you should be looking to work up to 75% of you body weight, notice I said work up to. Once you can squat %75 of your body weight, you are at a "good" level of strength. But start small, even with just the bar with no weights, just to get the form right. It's easier to learn correct form, than it is to unlearn bad form.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I agree with most of this except for the building muscle... As it's been repeated 10,000 times, if you are eating in a calorie deficit you will not build muscle unless you are A.Obese to start with, or B. New to lifting.. and even then the results taper off after a while.

Also using light weights will firm and tone if you are doing them to failure.. but for a lot of exercises that would take a while, which is why heavy weights till failure are suggested.

OP:
    Everyone has given good advice so far.

For me, I don't lift heavy.. I lift in the 10-15 rep range which is more endurance then it is strength. I still get good strength and appearance because I lift to failure.. which is what you want to do. You want to fail by the last rep of your set.. and if you are not, then the weight is too light.

I also run three times a week doing the Couch to 5K program. As people have said, it's not necessary but it helps create a calorie deficit that you need to lose fat.