How important in water?

2»

Replies

• you could also drink crystal light. every now and again when im really craving the flavor of juice but know i kneed to drink water i grab a water bottle and just add a to go packet. one packet helps me drink almost two bottles. they have a wide verity of flavors and boosters. there is even a green tea one.
  • Adara13
    Adara13 Posts: 50
    Thanks Monigibson! I don't know the product that you are talking about but am making a note and wil go look for it.
  • kirsty_mc
    kirsty_mc Posts: 35 Member
    For me, if I dont drink water I end up really tired and unwell. Even if I drink half water and half juice I still end up a bit "fizzy" in the head.

I just keep a 75cl bottle on my desk and aim to have to refil that every 40 - 60mins.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Elcollins, For me the biggest question was can I get away by not drinking so much water. I am sorry if I didn't put it in the correct wording for you to quite understand it,

I drink about 4 cups of coffee a day and arouse 2 cups of tea with honey. But water self.... Not unless it snows or rains or some major even takes place.

you may *think* you are getting away with not drinking much, but one day it may come back to bite you in the *kitten*. I was like you for ages---lucky if I drank 4 glasses of ANYTHING a day. I just couldn't be bothered to get up and fill a glass that the whole damn family was going to try and drink out of. Then one day I woke up in horrible pain. When I went to the ER ( A&E) I was told that I had a kidney stone. The doctor said that it was 14mm. Over a 3 week period I had 3 surgeries ( a stent placement, lithotripsy, then a scope/laser combo). I now have to take a daily potassium supplement, and have an x-ray and do a 24hr urine collection every 6-12 months. When I did the first 24hr collection I was told that I was chronically dehydrated!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    It is important to stay hydrated - your body needs water for lots and lots of different functions. The goal suggested by MFP is just a general recommendation and might not apply to everyone - it depends on different variables like what climate you live in and how active you are. If your urine is a pale straw colour then you're probably not dehydrated. If it's dark in colour, you should probably try to drink more.

It doesn't have to be plain water though. Your body can just as easily use the water that is part of other fluids, including decaffeinated tea. (The caffeine does not dehydrate you enough to negate the hydration from the water in the same drink). So, if you're struggling with plain water, but drink plenty of other drinks, then that's ok. I get my water from plain water, tea, fruit/herbal teas, milk and nut milks.

this.
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    I find it really difficult to drink enough water. Usually that's because I have a cup of coffee in my hand, instead.

I've got a 1L bottle now, which I try to fill twice a day to get all my daily water intake. The biggest problem I have with drinking water is that it makes me pee like crazy. So if I'm not at home, I find it very difficult to drink lots because I'm always looking for the nearest toilet. At home... Like I said, I usually have a coffee in my hand.

I'm getting better, very slowly. I hear the ridiculous need to pee all the time goes away once the body gets used to the new water intake, but because I have so many days where I slip up and don't drink enough, I don't think my body's reached that point yet.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Well..I can share this with this thread.

One of the women that works with me (we work for a 300+ physician organization), was attending an exercise class that was held last Friday.

She dropped in the middle of class. Was rushed to the hospital (thank goodness our own hospital network), and almost 3 bags of saline later, was totally dehydrated, had placed a great deal of stress on her cardiac function, neurologically she could not communicate for the first 24 hours and had to be a direct admit once she arrived.

Water is vital......
  • jimbo_a_logo
    jimbo_a_logo Posts: 26 Member
    "Function
    Water plays an essential role in almost all bodily functions. Water acts to transport nutrients and gases throughout the body, and also enables cellular reactions to take place. Water carries waste products out of your body in the form of urine and feces, helps lubricate your joints, and cushions your organs. Water helps you maintain a stable body temperature during exercise and environmental heat stress. Water is so essential to human life that you can expect to live only a few days without it."
    Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/287683-water-as-a-percentage-of-human-body-weight/#ixzz226aftXPC

Drinking enough water is very important.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Water makes up a huge part of your body's composition. It helps your muscles, joints, circulation, even brain function. You are just going to function better if you're hydrated. 8 cups of water a day is ideal if you are not sweating and working a lot. The more you sweat, the more you need. My whole life I have downright hated water. Just got out of the military where they made us CHUG a quart at random parts of the day and then use beads to keep track of it. Now I found that if I use a 20oz water bottle and fill it with ice I can easily meet my water goal. Ice makes it taste better to me. Everthing has water in it but nothing can replace it, plus no calories!!
  • Adara13
    Adara13 Posts: 50
    Thanks all for the replys so far, and I must admit that it was, at least for me, bit of a wake up call! It's 14:00 here and I can happily report I have had two glasses of water. Not ideal, yet, but for me a start. I find it difficult thou finishing a glass .... Trying the bottle idea.

What works best for everyone?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member

What works best for everyone?

My husband knows how much I love drinking water.. cant get enough.. he purchased a 64oz insulated mug for me... It sits with me at my desk at work. I have access to plenty of ice to keep it cold for almost two days straight! I usually do two of them per day at work!
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    All great advice, I used to struggle with water but most days I do drink the recommended amount. I only actually count water & diluted drinks and aim for 8 glasses a day.

Another thing to bear in mind being thirsty is often perceived as hunger by your brain, so you may eat something when a glass of water would have got rid of the hunger feeling.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    First day here of upping my water intake... I have seriously stalled this past couple of months, still eating the same cals but no weight coming off. It is one of the things I have decided to try to help my weight loss again.
    I have never ever been one to drink a lot of water and I have had 4 half pint glasses full today in addition to my 3 cups of coffee so far.
    I am piddling constantly and feel more bloated than normal... Will this go away if i continue drinking lots in time?

Thanks people x