2 weeks off diet and having trouble getting back on track!

Options
Hi there,

I knew I would have a rough 3 weeks and wouldn't be able to cook and workout as I normally did. About three weeks ago, I was running daily and eating the best I'd ever eaten- I was doing great and seeing results. Then, I had to start studying very hard core for the bar exam, and knew I'd be sitting, with my butt in a chair, 15 hours a day until the exam. So, the first week, I planned in advance and everyday gave my boyfriend a recipe which he cooked, and I did great. Even lost some weight that first week and a half. Then, I think he sort of was done cooking, and we started ordering in every night, and I was stressed and it became like pasta everyday, chips... AND I wasn't working out. I turned into a lump on a log. I know 2 weeks off the diet (and 3 off exercising, and the whole lifestyle in general) doesn't sound like so much, but it really messed me up! I am finding it impossible to get back onto the diet and have been pretty careless with my eating since I finished the exam on thursday - sort of just eating how I was eating during the weeks leading up to the bar. Do you have any advice for me to get back on track? Has anyone had a similar experience? I was doing so well and it's so important to me, I'm not sure how to give myself that kick in the butt I need!

Replies

• leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    First, congratulation on finishing your exam!! That´s great! And then- old habbits are easy to turn back to, new ones are much harder to maintain. You´ve had a stressfull time where you have been working hard. Try to start somewhere simple, wether it´s to go to the gym once a week (just to start somewhere) or plan the meals for the day. If you plan ahead, it´s easier to actually get it done. Maybe even make a list with the things you want to change and work at it one by one. Just a suggestion. I hope you´ll find you way back. You just go get´em, tiger! :smile:
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    thanks! making a list is a great idea!
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Congrats with the exam! All you have to do is start. Don't let yourself hold you back. You obviously have the ability to be successful so make it a priority in your life. I have been in this situation before and the hardest part is starting the first day over. But, once you get that high again from exercising and eating well, everything will once again fall in to place.

My husband is the same as your boyfriend, which can be very frustrating. Also, for the future, regardless of the pressure you are under in school, try to give yourself 20 minutes a day to decompress and work out. It will do wonders for focus and motivation. When I was studying for the MCAT, I looked forward to those 20 minutes.

Good luck...even though I know you don't need it!
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    thank you so much!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    been there.

You just have to stand up to yourself and say to yourself, "ok, that was a good break. Now time to quit goofing off, making excuses, and get serious again."

...and just do it. (not that exams are exactly goofing off, but you get the idea!)
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    thanks!