Stronglifts...use smith machine or not? HIIT after?

Options

Replies

• DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I currently train on a lower/upper split so I'm trying to focus on doing a shorter workout but focus on compound exercises.

So, I already do 5x5 for the exercises I currently do, specifically for these moves already.mive done a higher rep range for smaller muscle groups...arms, calves.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Oh, one other thing. You didn't mention how many sets you're currently doing. You'll want to get between 1 and 5 minutes of rest between your work sets (the more challenging it was to complete, the more you rest). Edit: Nevermind, you said 5x5 in a later post, so you probably already know this. :smile:

You'll also want to start adding in warmup sets once the weight is high enough (you could do this for your squats right now). Here's what I do for my warmups (using workout B as an example):

Squats (and everything except deadlifts, same warm-up structure)
    10 reps with an empty bar
    3 reps with 95lbs (pair of 25lb plates)
    3 reps with 135lbs (replace 25lb plates with 45lb plates)
    3 reps with 185lbs (add the 25lb plates back on)

... etc until I reach my work weight, then do the 5x5. I don't rest at all between warmup sets.

Deadlifts:
    5 reps with 135lbs (pair of 45lb plates to set the proper bar height)
    5 reps with 185lbs (add the 25s)
    5 reps with 225 (replace 25s with 45s)

... etc. I'm pretty sure I read these warmup ideas (including doing full sets of deadlifts instead of 3 reps) from the StrongLifts PDF somewhere, but I don't remember for sure.

Edit again: You don't have to use the 25s-45s increments for your warmups, that's just what works for me to get a reasonable warm-up in and still reach my work weight quickly. Pick any steps that you want.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If you have options, never use the smith.

If your goal is to increase weights, then hiit after, not before. When I hiit I generally go for about 15 or 20 ,minutes.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    I don't use the smith now anyway..just wanted to see people's thoughts.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    Lbs are so confusing as is use kg in my gym!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I don't use machines.. and I do HIIT after.. about 20 minutes.
  • dlwyatt82
    Options
    It's not exact, but just cut every number in half to go from pounds to approximate kg. If we say add 5 pounds, you've probably got a pair of roughly 1-1.25kg plates in the gym that gets the same ballpark result.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I use the Smith for squats if I cannot get on the normal squat rack. I just add more weight when using the Smith.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    I just noticed yo only do 1 set for deadlifts...5 reps!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    No Smith.

If I do it HIIT it's on a non-lifting day.
  • dlwyatt82
    Options

Correct. I guess 5x5 deadlifts when you're already doing 5x5 squats the same day is pretty brutal. Never tried it; the 1 set is hard enough as it is. :smile:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Correct. I guess 5x5 deadlifts when you're already doing 5x5 squats the same day is pretty brutal. Never tried it; the 1 set is hard enough as it is. :smile:

5x5 deadlifts is pretty much impossible once you put serious weight on the bar - and it doesn't take long since this one goes up 10lbs a set.
  • dlwyatt82
    Options
    5x5 deadlifts is pretty much impossible once you put serious weight on the bar - and it doesn't take long since this one goes up 10lbs a set.

I hear that... when I pulled my 5th rep on Saturday, I wasn't facing the mirror, but I suspect my face looked a bit like Sylvester Stallone in Rocky... lips twisted all weird, vaguely groaning something unintelligible. :laugh:
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    I'm defor going to whack my weight up on deadlifts as I currently do 5x5 on deadlifts on my leg days at the moment. Instead of doing 40kg I'll try aim higher than this if it's just one set of 5.
  • dlwyatt82
    Options
    You can probably push your deadlift weight to at least as much as your squat for 1 set of 5 without trouble. Just make sure you're not compromising your form if you try to make the jump all at once. You could add 20lbs per workout instead of 10 until it catches up, as an alternative.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm defor going to whack my weight up on deadlifts as I currently do 5x5 on deadlifts on my leg days at the moment. Instead of doing 40kg I'll try aim higher than this if it's just one set of 5.

You'll be adding 10lbs (About 5kg) every workout on deadlifts when you do SL5x5. Don't get ahead of yourself though. Just stick to the program. Deadlifts are a huge 'core check' exercise.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to this as I'm finding I'm spending far too long in the gym and still not getting the results I want. I keep hearing that compound lifts are the way forward for overall conditioning and strength. Will try add in some short HIIT after if I can.
  • dlwyatt82
    Options
    What you're doing out of the gym is just as important. Make sure you're eating enough food (at a calorie surplus would be best; based on your profile photo, it doesn't look like you need to focus on cutting any more fat right this minute), and sleep as well.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    No Smith.

If I do it HIIT it's on a non-lifting day.

What Rae and others have said. With the Smith, you get an unnatural range of motion and you don't work the stabilizers. Stay with free weights. Also, both strength training and HIIT impact the CNS. It is highly recommeded to do them on different days. If you want to get in some cardio on lifting days, do LISS or regular cardio after lifting.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    What is LISS?

Oh, I really do need to cut more...my prob area are my thighs. I seem to have got results on top half but it's moved to bottom half!