Need ADVICE! ASAP!

Options
I am currently working in the Oilfield and it takes up a lot of my time. I work 12 hours shifts 7 days a week and when i finally get down time I am exhausted. I am currently about 300 miles from home/work out equipment and staying in a hotel room. I brought work out videos (Firm Express) but that is my only source of exercise. I want to be making more progress in my weight loss than I currently am. Any suggestions?

Replies

• LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I have trouble also exercising. So I try to walk it out when I have 30 minutes (with the dog as well), doing crouches in the morning in my bed, taken the stairs instead of elevators etc... all the small things can help!
  • ValkyrieFD
    ValkyrieFD Posts: 83
    Options
    I travel alot too, but usually my hotel has a workout room, have you checked if yours does? Also, it's almost impossible to get motivated to work out when you are pulling 12 hour work days. I highly suggest you get up early and get your work out in before leaving, as that might be more productive and a better workout since you won't be exhausted.

Another suggestion if you want to mix it up is there are workout videos online on youtube if you have your laptop. Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred is great and only 20 mins since you have limited time, as long as you have hand weights. If not there are other videos or you can just go for a run <3

Good luck!
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    have you thought about c25k Program (if you don't already run)
    and even a 15 min walk is 50 cals if you do that every day 2x a day it al adds up.
    good luck. if you start looking for opportunities for extra movement it all adds up!
  • mollykat73
    mollykat73 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You could add body weight exercises. Try doing squats, lunges, push ups and planks. It's a great all over workout.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hours shifts 7 days a week and when i finally get down time I am exhausted.
    So you have lots of exercise in your job ?
  • chunkylover22
    chunkylover22 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks every one for the advice, it is greatly appreciated!! and to answer your question Yarwell, My job requires me to walk stairs, and that's about it. I guess when I meant I am "exhausted" I meant more mentally then physically.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Working like that, I suggest that if you are making progress with weight loss through diet alone at the moment, stick to that.

Making too quick of gains while under such a heavy work load can have adverse effects on your overall health.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I like the '100 workout' for an all-around workout without equipment. :) I run in place if I have to, and add in a few push-up sets for upper body. Maybe you could get some resistance bands to take along with you as well. Good luck!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Rely on calisthenics such as push ups, pull ups, sit ups, leg raises, body weight lunges and squats.

Also invest in a jump rope.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Mental fatigue gets to the body... Sometimes I am just on the road all day driving, out the truck, in the truck.. and it doesnt look like it, but driving all days gets to you! So I try the lil things that can make a difference!
  • lildawtie
    lildawtie Posts: 4
    Options
    How about getting some bands, they are light in weight and you can carry them around, if you get a break at work you can workout with them for 5 to 10 min, and you can even keep them in your locker! Also I found this little gadget on HSN that might help you for upper body workout and it's small enough to travel with you everywhere you go!
    http://www.hsn.com/as-seen-on-tv/forbes-riley-silver-spingym-upper-body-shaper-with-2-workout-dvds_p-6776302_xp.aspx?cmsstr=184181&webm_id=&web_id=&sz=3&sf=HF&dept=HF0010&cat=HF0020&o=&ocm=seis
    It is the Silver SpinGym item number 184-181 right now it's free S&H and only $ 24.95 can't beat a deal ;) anyway good luck!!!