Do i need "good" fats?!

Options
Hi all

So i'm on a hardcore regime at the moment..i take 2 fat burning protein shakes to replace breakfast and dinner (phd diet whey - 2 scoops for each meal)....and have a high protein/low carb lunch and 2 snacks.

The shakes contain CLA. Do i still need more "good" fats during the day? i was always led to believe that low fat diets will shift the weight the quickest but then since read lately that good fats are needed...e.g. avocado, olive oil, nuts...etc. if i do need these then how much do i need a day? i normally have an egg with my lunch so i get good fat there.

thanks! xxx

Replies

• KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    good fats help you lose weight and perform a lot of your biological functions
  • brooshie
    brooshie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i always try to eat a serving of nuts every day just in case, i don't want to have too little fat and have my body start to store it. it's VERY easy to go overboard on snacking with nuts, though, so i always separate 'em per serving and have one a day.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    When people say good fats they are almost always taking about omega-3's, nuts and cla(I think) are omega 6's

Also stop buying phd diet whey it's total rip off and is not 'fat burning'

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/656516-word-of-advice-stop-buying-diet-whey-products
    i was always led to believe that low fat diets will shift the weight the quickest

Definitely not, look to get around 0.4 gram of fat per lb of body weight to start with there is no reason that all of there could not be 'good fats'
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    When people say good fats they are almost always taking about omega-3's, nuts and cla(I think) are omega 6's

why are they not fat burning?! they contain CLA and green tea?!

oops added my comment to yours somehow!!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    why are they not fat burning?! they contain CLA and green tea?!

The effects of both of these have been massively over stated by people who are trying to sell you supplements.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    there are a few fats and fat soluble vitamins that you have to eat as you can't make them. Some flax/linseed or chia seeds in a shake or sprinkled on yoghurt / salad etc would be one way of getting them, or take a specific supplement for Omega 3. Or simply eat oily fish twice a week (oily is a type like salmon, mackerel, halibut, sardines, tuna, and herring , not dripping in oil !!).

I wouldn't be allergic to eating fats, if you're trying to burn fat off your body then providing some of your food in the same form might actually be helpful.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/656516-word-of-advice-stop-buying-diet-whey-products
    i was always led to believe that low fat diets will shift the weight the quickest

Definitely not, look to get around 0.4 gram of fat per lb of body weight to start with there is no reason that all of there could not be 'good fats'

What Hendrix said! Reducing fats doesn't help you lose fat. Fats are an essential nutrient. Also, he's right on the shake you are using. Just slick marketing. There is some slight thermogenic effect of gree tea but not enough to make a huge difference and if you want the other benefits of green tea, drink green tea or macha. You will get the beneficial compounds for thermogenesis and antioxidants in much higher concentration. Bottom line is a calorie deficit is what is most thermogenic!

Edited to add, it's Omega 3 fatty acids that are most beneficial. You can get these in fish, organic eggs and to a leser degree from flax seed. many take gel cap supplements to get them because of thier dramatically beneficial effect on health.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    fat is amazing.
    it also doesn't make you fat!

eat less carbs, not less fats.
    fat is much tastier.. mmm. coconut oil.