Can I still lose 2 lbs a week with no exercise?

Options

Replies

• pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I lost twenty pounds at 1200 calories per week in about two months. Then I hit a plateau. You can get by for a little while (if you have a lot too lose) but eventually exercise is going to become vital.
    Especially if you want to be fit as well.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,304 Member
    Options
    Last year I was surprised when I lost weight more easily and steady without excercising than in the past when I did an hour five days a week and some lifting.

I hate to admit it..but I think exercising slows my progress down. Right now I'm doing 1200 a day too..I've lost four pounds this week without excercising. But..I just started. Right now I'm going to just diet and see how I lose. If I slow down..I'll up my calories some and start excercsing. If I were you..I'd see how it goes...then change your plan if you're not losing.

However.. I think exercise is vital to be fit. I just want to lose the weight first then hit the gym hard Or if I stop losing..excercise gives me a place to go to jump start loss.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Okay I'll exercise (zumba) for an hour a day... will that be enough not to lose muscle?
    no. cardio doesnt preserve muscle. you would need to strength train with weights. heavy weights. with dieting and cardio, up to 50% (or more) of what we lose can be lean body mass. I was able to keep that number down to 10% by following a strength training plan that involved me continually pushing my limits.

of course the way you lose is your personal preference. i've been diligent about trying to keep as much muscle i can because
    a)one of the best things about me having so much lean body mass is that i've always had a bit of a higher metabolism than what a formula gives me
    b)i dont want to look all ooey gooey soft amd mushy once i reach my goal weight
  • naples89
    naples89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can lose weight. Weight loss is mostly about your diet. But exercise has tons of benefits to mood, strength, etc but you definitely will lose weight if you stick to your diet.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Too much higher intensity cardio and too low calories equals more muscle loss.
  • LeotaD
    LeotaD Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Last year I was surprised when I lost weight more easily and steady without excercising than in the past when I did an hour five days a week and some lifting.

I hate to admit it..but I think exercising slows my progress down. Right now I'm doing 1200 a day too..I've lost four pounds this week without excercising. But..I just started. Right now I'm going to just diet and see how I lose. If I slow down..I'll up my calories some and start excercsing. If I were you..I'd see how it goes...then change your plan if you're not losing.

However.. I think exercise is vital to be fit. I just want to lose the weight first then hit the gym hard Or if I stop losing..excercise gives me a place to go to jump start loss.

That may happen in the beginning, but I wouldn't count on it staying that way. Your weight loss slows down with exercise, especially weight training, because muscle is more dense then fat. It's often more accurate to track your progress with your body measurements due to the fact that you may end up losing 3 pounds of fat then gaining 2 pounds of muscle. That being said, in the long run, the people who exercise tend to end up losing more from what I've seen. Having muscle mass burns more calories over time.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I dont understand the question.......Exercise just allows you to eat more.....Sure you can lose 2lbs a week without exercise.....eat less.......
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    YES

When I stopped doing excersise so I could recover from an injury, all I had was my 2300 a day calorie diet, and I was still losing =]

So how about that, an actual personal experience, that proves the answer is yes.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm active but I"m not exactly a fan a exercise but i think it's because I do it to excessively.

Please tell me what it is you are doing that qualifies as "excessive" exercise.
  • zitandemanu
    Options
    For example, I start large meaning I don't take baby step, I jump right into the hard stuff.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    For example, I start large meaning I don't take baby step, I jump right into the hard stuff.

That clears it up thanks. The answer to your question is Wednesday.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i lost a pound and half (on average) per week with low carb and no exercise.

but i was still 'skinny fat' even tho my BMI was good, i still looked gross. i wish i had exercised.
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    3500 Calories = 1 pound

Figure out what your BMR is (How many calories you burn without doing exercise, just google a BMR calculator). And subtract 7000 calories over 7 days = loosing 2 pds per week.

You might find your caloric intake to be really low by doing this which isnt necessarily healthy therefore exercise is a nice way to burn calories and yet still be able to eat healthy.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    maybe you need to zig zag your calories.
    I mean 1200 every day, you might need to eat more or less every day depending on how you go at it.

I'd be much more worried about developing fur on your arms and body once you get into the 110lbs range than what the scale says.

you would loose more weight by stopping all activity. you don't want to keep or gain any muscle mass. Drink lots of water, so much that you will burst.

Then one day, I'd say stop drinking and try to dehydrate, that should get you down to your goal weight for a few days.
  • MarkAWhipple
    MarkAWhipple Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Go talk to your doctor about continued weight loss. Talk to a personal trainer, one who actually has a degree, about tone vs skinny. Don't ask a bunch of random strangers about it. You should use this site for support, not health info. Very few people here are professionals and, the ones that are, will probably say they're not YOUR professional so won't be able to give you a specific answer.
  • nucreeman
    nucreeman Posts: 40
    Options
    LMAO!!:laugh: :laugh:

That clears it up thanks. The answer to your question is Wednesday.
  • Candy_monster
    Options
    Weight loss is mostly about your diet. But exercise has tons of benefits to mood, strength, etc but you definitely will lose weight if you stick to your diet.

^^What he said^^ :)

I hardly ever find time to exercise, and health issues mean that if I do find time it's often too painful, but i've managed to continue to lose, even on only a 1200 limit :)
  • GOTTOBEMETOTHET
    GOTTOBEMETOTHET Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can lose 2 pounds a week without exercise. Remember dieting is 80% and exercise is 20%. I have lost over 60 pounds and did not do one bit of exercise one time in my life and was following Weight Watchers. So I would say yes you can do it.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating 1200 calories a day with no exercise. I have realized that for some reason when I add exercise I get a bit lazy , which is why I'm switching to just dieting. So what do you think? Can I still lose 2 lbs a week with no exercise and just dieting?
    Zita

I'm losing just over 2 lbs a week through diet alone, but I started at just under 300 lbs and at the top of type 2 obesity. The upper limit for loss is given as 1% max, which makes sense from my experience.

Are you well over 200 lbs in weight? If you are just 'overweight' and not 'obese' then you may struggle with just 1 lb a week.