Strong is the new skinny

Options
I started on MFP to lose weight but somewhere along the lines, I changed my goal. While I was doing strength training, I found that it empowered me and made me feel stronger which losing weight has never done. I switched gears to adding muscle to my routine. I love it and I have never felt better even though my weight is creeping up slowly. I get a lot more complements on how fit I look because people notice a strong body more than a skinny one.:smile:

Replies

• Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    Agree 100%, I am insulted when someone calls me skinny!
  • Vitamin_K
    Vitamin_K Posts: 47
    Options
    This is me exactly!!
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 110%... I have become "addicted" to lifting weights.. and my kids love that I do. I feel like a new me.. one I had lost many many years ago.. :drinker: to the new and permanent us!
  • genas1975
    genas1975 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! That is my goal!
  • txsjhawk
    txsjhawk Posts: 25
    Options
    Keep up the good work! More than likely, your slight weight gain is muscle mass at this point which is a great thing. A 130lb toned body looks much better than a 115lb skinny one!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    So true!
    I don't even pay attention to what the scale says anymore. As long as my clothes fit, I can push myself to lift heavier each week, and my muscles look hot, that's all that matters to me :)
    >bump<
  • lifechange12
    lifechange12 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 110%... I have become "addicted" to lifting weights.. and my kids love that I do. I feel like a new me.. one I had lost many many years ago.. :drinker: to the new and permanent us!

This^^
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy to see someone else is seeing the light! It annoys me beyond belief every time I see a girl say "I want to be skinny!" After, they do whatever they can to get as skinny as possible, as soon as possible. At least, that's what it seems to be like...

A strong woman is sexier than a skinny girl. :)
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I agree. Last year when I first started MFP for counting calories, I lost weight but I felt weak (not ill, just had little strength with a lighter body weight). This year my goal is to gain back my strength and I started by hiring a personal trainer to teach me safe skills while using free weights.
  • KAA1982
    KAA1982 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have replaced my "I want to be skinny" goal to "I want to be toned with lean sexy muscle"
    Not all women understand you can still be sexy with muscle, they just assume muscle is for men.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Tone is the way to go!
  • jyotinaik
    jyotinaik Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Many ladies in the gym will not use heavy weights because they are afraid of looking like female body builders. I keep telling them that they will never look like that unless they have testestrone and lift for 6-8 hours a day and eat 4000 calories. It seems to be some kind of mind block that women have against weights
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP to lose weight but somewhere along the lines, I changed my goal. While I was doing strength training, I found that it empowered me and made me feel stronger which losing weight has never done. I switched gears to adding muscle to my routine. I love it and I have never felt better even though my weight is creeping up slowly. I get a lot more complements on how fit I look because people notice a strong body more than a skinny one.:smile:

Looked at your profile pics and you look great! I would definitely say you lost more than 19 lbs so it looks to me like you are adding muscle. Great job. I am definitely going for a strong body. Thanks for your post.
  • erinm2629
    erinm2629 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have started lifting some too and recently added heavy lifting with the hubby and BodyPump to my weekly class schedule. I am not sure I could ever be "skinny" but i am starting to see "strong and toned" already!
  • jyotinaik
    Options
    So what do the ladies on here bench/sqaut? Need some inspiration :smile:
  • jyotinaik
    Options
    Thank you. At 46 I feel like I am in better shape than I was in my 20s :wink:
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    #Winner.
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    AGREE!! It is irritating to see ppl on here who eat these low calorie diets, do a million hrs of cardio & couldn't lift a 20 lb weight because all of their energy is gone!! Strength is definitely the new skinny!! :smile: