Low Calorie Hawaiian food recipes?

Options
NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
Looking for recipes that I can make for a Hawaiian themed potluck, I'd like to bring something authentic that won't ruin my calories though. lol Suggestions?

Replies

• NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Nobody :( Ahhh! Lol
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Maybe some Hawaiian Chop Steak? You could probably use less shoyu to dial down the sodium
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe from calorie count, my dad used to his like this only I think he added some napa cabbage

http://caloriecount.about.com/hawaiian-chop-steak-recipe-r413582
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Thanks!
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    poi?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    A pineapple?
  • sopherella
    Options
    Some Ahi Tuna Poke. Delicious!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ahi-poke-basic/
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    low calorie and hawaiian are kind of oxymorons, with the exception of their love of fresh fruit and produce. Other than that..lots of pork, spam, and fatty goodness. Try making haupia (a coconut pudding!) or some sort of ginger based sorbet for dessert--that could probably be low cal. I imagine poi isn't too high cal either, although it's starchy, but it also tastes like glue..
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    I have a whole healthy Hawaiian food cookbook at home, so I will look later today if you haven't found anything yet and I can post a recipe or two.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    A pineapple?

LOL!!! thats what i was thinking, make a tropical fruit salad!!!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I make something like this recipe, minus the sherry, substitute gluten-free soy sauce. I also use real, crushed garlic, and honey instead of sugar... :

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hawaiian-chicken-kabobs/

Ingredients

3 tablespoons soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons sherry
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 2 inch pieces
    1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
    skewers

Marinate chicken pieces (overnight, in a plastic bag set in a bowl works well)
    Soak skewers in water (if using wooden skewers)
    Grill.

Alternatively, I'll pan saute the chicken in pieces instead. :)
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Authentic Kalua Pig (minus the emu)

5-7 lbs. pork (traditionally pork butt but a leaner cut will do)
    5 tsp. pink hawaiian Aleae salt (I bought some online or you can just use sea salt)
    1 tbsp. liquid smoke
    ti leaves (or banana leaves, thai and vietmanese stores carry these)
    slow cooker

Place ti leaves in slow cooker with about half over the side. With a knife, poke holes in the pork and place into slow cooker.
    Rub the pork with salt and liquid smoke. Add water until a third of the pork is covered. Place the ti leaves over the pork, cover and cook on low for 12-16 hours.
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In 1926, Hawaiian Electric Company started its Home Services Department, which demonstrated the benefits of electrical appliances by using them to prepare many traditional Hawaiian foods. Eventually, the cooking demonstrations turned into a TV cooking show and a weekly column in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin food section.

The Hawaiian Electric Company's recipe collection is now online here: http://www.heco.com/portal/site/heco/menuitem.ad8ed92a8bcc8b8c19138e11a0a38a0c

Some of the more healthful-looking recipes include:
    * Simple, Ono, and Healthy Chicken Adobo
    * Manoa Lettuce Wraps
    * Unsunaba Usachi (Tofu and Swiss Chard Salad)
    * Turnip Salad (Muu Saeng Chae)
    * Volcano Joe's Vegan Lentil Stew
    * Vegetarian Couscous Paella
    * Thai Kitchen's Green Papaya Salad
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...yummo!
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Teriyaki Sauce - only marinate meat 1.5 hours or less!!

1/3 cup Soy sauce
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup wine
    3-4 cloves chopped garlic
    1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger or 1 tablesppon ground ginger
    combine and marinate meat for about 1 hour
    (after marinating, discard remaining marinate)
    Delicious
    I make chicken kabobs w/fresh vegetables.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I have done chicken kabobs. When using pineapple to cook, use canned pineapples. I would also spring for vidalia onions, unless you like a tangier onion flavor.
    I have always done kabobs in the oven where you have a more controlled heat environment.
    If using wooden skewers, soake for about 30 minutes. When cutting up the veggies, make sure they're approx. same size.

3 tablespoons soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons sherry
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 2 inch pieces
    1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
    skewers
    In a shallow glass dish, mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, sherry, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic powder. Stir the chicken pieces and pineapple into the marinade until well coated. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours. <I marinade the veggies separately from the meat>
    cook in oven about 375 for approx 10 mins. or until chicken runs clear.

A boneless pork loin would also be good, but cooked whole.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    a basic marinade for a pork loin;
    1/2 c. soy sauce
    1 c. pineapple juice
    1/4 c. brown sugar
    1/8 tsp. garlic powder
    1/8 tsp. onion powder
    1/4 tsp. ground ginger
    1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
    (I would double this)

boneless pork loin is about 135 cals per 4 oz)
    in separate dishes, marinate pineapple chunk (i'd suggest a can of rings for decorations, and chop all but 3 slices.)
    bell pepper and onions just smaller than bite sized. roll out some tinfoil and place pork in the center. you'll probably need a bit more than you think.
    put veggies around it saving about 3-4 rings for the top of the loin.
    Fold up tinfoil until there is enough room to hold the pineapple on top. fold and secure. *do not use tooth picks to secure*
    finish folding so that juices won't leak.
    cook at 425 for about 35-45 minutes. I highly suggest a stove temp gauge for this. cook til 145. remove and let sit for just a few minutes. (use a meat thermometer, cutting into the pork is messy and lets out juice)
    put on serving plate/platter and carefully unfold and cut into medallions. 4 oz was actually bigger than I expected. (about 3 fingers wide) serve with rice.

these two recipes are what most people in the states are used to. pineapple, bell peppers, pork and chicken. I suggest this website http://www.hawaiifoodtours.com/hawaiianfood.html for more key words when searching for the authentic stuff. With the kalua pork, you can use lean cuts of pork and still get similar results. I use these for my bbq pulled pork and it works just fine.
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...yummo!

I'm new to these forums, so I'm sure there are many things done here that I don't yet understand.

I've never seen anything like this before -- what is the purpose of bumping an active thread?
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...yummo!

I'm new to these forums, so I'm sure there are many things done here that I don't yet understand.

I've never seen anything like this before -- what is the purpose of bumping an active thread?

Bring Up in My Posts - The thread will come up in your posts to find easier in the future.

Edit: spelling