Cheat-day

Options
bradp1979
bradp1979 Posts: 154 Member
Is it important to have a cheat-day where my food choices can be more "bad"? If so, just how overboard can/should I go? I haven't had a real cheat-day since I started about 4 weeks ago.

Replies

• Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    Cheat *meal* not cheat *day*....don't go too crazy! :)
  • fromfattytohealthy
    fromfattytohealthy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think that if you have the will power to cut out junk food completely, just do it. If not, have a treat every once in a while. Don't go overboard! :smile:
  • bradp1979
    Options
    So far I have had no problem not eating any junk food at all. When I'm craving something sweet, I eat fruit. I don't buy junk food for the house, and the thought of eating fast food holds zero interest for me. I can't even remember the last time I ate more than 2000 calories in a day, or netted more than around 1500. I'm just worried that I'm being too strict on myself, and I have heard that if you don't let yourself have something bad every once in a while, you're at risk for a binge.

Also, I'm kind of plateauing already, in that I lost 10 pounds in just over 3 weeks, and now it's been close to 2 weeks since I've lost a single ounce or any points from my bf%. I'm looking for answers to how to get past this plateau by experimenting. So far, the experimenting hasn't yielded anything positive.
  • Angie_1MR
    Options
    Give me some more info Brad...height, weight, goal weight, what are your goals for your body, are you looking to muscle up, drop fat? You should not be hitting a plateau after 3 weeks, something is off.
  • bradp1979
    Options
    I know something's off, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm 5'10, 211, goal weight: 180 with a size 30-32 waist (waist is currently just under 36), looking to drop fat, tone muscle. 4-6 days a week I go to the gym, run between 1 and 3 miles, walk equal distance, then hit the weights for 30-60 minutes, rounding it all off with ab work. Occasionally I stop after the cardio due to time constraints, but bare minimum I do the cardio each work-out day or I substitute it for 30 minutes of circuit training. I eat about 5 200-400 calorie meals, and snack, totaling around 1800 calories a day, netting around 1200 with the exercise.
  • abadaba
    abadaba Posts: 44
    Options
    I tend to actually have issues getting enough calories/foods in during the week (odd, I know) so I do a PLANNED "cheat meal" on Saturdays, after weigh-ins. And only if I've really been craving something. I think this really helps me keep my metabolism spiked, since I've been doing a lot of activity and not increasing the calories sufficiently for the amount of exercise I'm doing. I think it's generally OK if it's planned for and ONLY if you are really craving something.
  • Angie_1MR
    Options
    Brad, I looked at your diary and ran some quick numbers. Here's what your goals are currently:
    carbs - 242 grams
    fat - 59 grams
    protein - 65 grams

Carbs are WAY too high, fat is too low, protein is WAY too low, especially since you are weight training! My suggestions would be to modify:
    carbs- 158 grams
    fat - 105 grams
    protein - 316 grams

and you need to get rid of the prepared foods, the sodium counts are going to be atrocious for those! 1800 calories is not enough for you, you should be closer to 2800 calories, you are not feeding your body enough based on the amount of calories you are burning.

My opinions, I am not a professional nutritionist.
  • bradp1979
    Options
    I've actually been thinking about the calories being too low, I've just been going off of what the website is giving me, but I find it difficult to eat more than the amount that I'm currently eating. I don't under eat, I just eat until I'm not hungry anymore.

As for the packaged foods, unfortunately, cooking a lot for myself isn't much of an option. I'm a full time student and a full time employee. It's hard enough to get to the gym. My doctor suggested that I just drink that much more water to offset the sodium (up to 100 ounces, no more). I've been trying to stick to that, but I know I'm not drinking enough water. Maybe that's it. I'll be diligent about my water consumption for the next couple of weeks, and see if that forces a change.

I haven't been paying too much attention to the carbs/fat, and I don't care if this thing tells me I'm eating too much protein. Every day I'm eating "too much" protein and fat, and I'm fine with that. The only carb I tend to eat too much of is rice - I'm staying completely away from breads, noodles, processed sugars, etc.

I do appreciate your opinions, from what I can see from your picture, you do seem to know what you're talking about. Any advice you have to offer I'll take to heart. I did change my carbs/protein/fat to close to what you suggested, and I'll try to keep a closer eye on it.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I never have a "cheat" day. One meal every now and then, like yesterday at the church picnic. Dedicate yourself the process. You have to fit this all in around your life and life never slows down!
  • Angie_1MR
    Options
    I am happy to help! If the macro warnings bother you, change them! I have all of my macros customized based on the same formulas for the figures I calculated for you. The pre-set figures MFP gives you are for the average person, not for someone that is trying to add muscle. I understand about cooking for yourself, I work full time, go to school part time and have two small children. I hit the gym at 4 a.m., and Sunday is my food prep day - I cook enough chicken breast for the entire week. Drinking more water is a good idea. You just have to do what works best for you, doing what you are doing is better than doing nothing at all! Just get those calories up!!
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    rebooting your metabolism is not a bad idea. once a week is safe.
  • lcallbaugh
    lcallbaugh Posts: 33
    Options
    Give me some more info Brad...height, weight, goal weight, what are your goals for your body, are you looking to muscle up, drop fat? You should not be hitting a plateau after 3 weeks, something is off.

I am trying to lose about 25lbs yet not lose muscle or even gain muscle if I can. I am currently doing P90x, insanity and turbofire. My stats: Hight 5'3', CW 148, GW 120.
    According to MFP:
    Cal 1330
    carb 147
    fat 44
    protein 50
    I usually about double my protein intake. Keep in mind, before I had kids I was in a size 4 at 130 lbs.
    Could you help me with my adjustments.
  • lcallbaugh
    lcallbaugh Posts: 33
    Options
    Meant to say I DO want to gain muscle.
  • Angie_1MR
    Options

I am trying to lose about 25lbs yet not lose muscle or even gain muscle if I can. I am currently doing P90x, insanity and turbofire. My stats: Hight 5'3', CW 148, GW 120.
    According to MFP:
    Cal 1330
    carb 147
    fat 44
    protein 50
    I usually about double my protein intake. Keep in mind, before I had kids I was in a size 4 at 130 lbs.

Sure! :) Open your diary so I can see what you are eating!
  • waldenlev
    waldenlev Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the "cheat day," or even the "cheat meal" concept for two reasons. First, they end up being something that's scheduled, like "every Saturday is my cheat day" so on every Saturday you cheat. Not because you're at a special occasion, or because the mood strikes, but because it's Saturday and that's your cheat day. Bad idea. I also don't like it because you're not "cheating." The word "cheating" denotes something that is bad, it's something you shouldn't do. One cheats on a test, or cheats on a spouse, these are bad things. If you're eating a healthy lifestyle and you're in a situation that's you want some ribs, or a slice of cake, why is that "cheating?" Isn't that just part of life? Now if you're having that cake every day then that's bad, but it's still not "cheating" it's just an unhealthy lifestyle.
  • Angie_1MR
    Options

According to MFP:
    Cal 1330
    carb 147
    fat 44
    protein 50

The very first thing that sticks out at me is the amount of sugar I am guessing you are consuming...you don't show sugar in your diary, but I bet it's excessive, you need to get that down to drop fat. Instead of the bread have oats, find other sources of protein than the protein bars you are eating, they are loaded with sugar. The cleaner you eat, the better results you will see!

If I were you, I would put my calories at 1998:
    carbs: 111 grams
    fat: 74 grams
    protein: 222 grams

You are putting your body in starvation mode at 1330 calories.

Angie
  • kemmy45
    kemmy45 Posts: 59
    Options
    HI there, I am needing to lose about 30 lbs and I am having no luck at all doing it. Im not the best eater in the world but I don't eat allot and am up and running all day long. Setting down at the end of the day is my rest time or when im on mfp..lol. I exercise everyday with at least a good 45 to an hour walk and now I am doing the Jillian Michaels workout level 1. I am not having much luck can you look and see what you think, or maybe how I can imporve me dropping some lbs.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    yesterday was 3k cals/300 grams of carbs..
    today has only been about 1300 cals and 155 carbs. so far :P

tomorrow i will be back to 20 grams of carbs from veggies/dairy. =]
  • Angie_1MR
    Options
    HI there, I am needing to lose about 30 lbs and I am having no luck at all doing it. Im not the best eater in the world but I don't eat allot and am up and running all day long. Setting down at the end of the day is my rest time or when im on mfp..lol. I exercise everyday with at least a good 45 to an hour walk and now I am doing the Jillian Michaels workout level 1. I am not having much luck can you look and see what you think, or maybe how I can imporve me dropping some lbs.

I need to see your diary! :)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I know something's off, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm 5'10, 211, goal weight: 180 with a size 30-32 waist (waist is currently just under 36), looking to drop fat, tone muscle. 4-6 days a week I go to the gym, run between 1 and 3 miles, walk equal distance, then hit the weights for 30-60 minutes, rounding it all off with ab work. Occasionally I stop after the cardio due to time constraints, but bare minimum I do the cardio each work-out day or I substitute it for 30 minutes of circuit training. I eat about 5 200-400 calorie meals, and snack, totaling around 1800 calories a day, netting around 1200 with the exercise.
    Take it from another brad p, weight lifting is MORE important when it comes to your goals as you've stated them. I'm 6'1, 210 lbs and wear size 33-34 pants. I was, like you, hovering around the 36's for a while...lifting is more important when it comes to inches and looks in my experience. That being said, I still do cardio on non lift days or to warm up, but if you want to look lean (more muscular) you need to focas on your weight training as priority 1 and cardio as secondary (it is still important in many parts of your life including heart health!) you diet seems to be there, and your workout frequency seems good. That's the only small change I would make and trust me, it will make a world of difference. Good luck man!!

Ps. Eat back about half your exercise cals (mfp estimates are way off) to refuel yourself. Lift hard, eat hard!!! Lol. Just make sure they are good cals, like lean proteins and Fruit and veggies....and I know I'm going to get be-headed by the low carbers for saying this....good old complex carbs!!!!!