Calculating Couch25k?

Options
I'm new here so I apologize if this is a topic that comes around a lot. I'm starting back logging my food in again and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out how to log in my workouts with the c25k program? I'm going to be on week two and that means the following:

5 minute warmup
90 seconds of jogging
2 minutes of walking (these two will total 20 minutes all together)
6 minute cool down

is there another app that can be used to figure out my mph?

Thank you :)

Replies

• kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I just started c25k this morning. I am using Nike+ to calculate my MPH and calories burned. I also have a c25k app that gives me prompts--I assume you are probably using something like this too. I just ran the Nike+ in the background.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Map My Run, Cardiotrainer, Endomondo, and a few others. I use Map My Run and love it! Worth checking out http://www.mapmyfitness.com

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    It's relative to weight. When I did week 2 I burned a little over 200 cals.
    I'm on Week 4 burning about 275...but I weigh more than you...
  • Sopsongbird
    Sopsongbird Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just enter the amount of a jog (about 5.0 pace since that is the lowest pace) and the brisk walk at the approximate rate I walk the warmup and 2 minute intervals (I train on a treadmill so I can track my pace). Doing it this way gives separate caloric burn due to the differences in the pace. Hope this helps!
  • YarnAndWhiskey
    YarnAndWhiskey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym and used the treadmill to figure out what mph to log things as... didn't actually run the C25K workout I was working on, just played with things until I was at a "comfortable" pace and it would tell me how fast I was going for the run and the walk portions. Then I just used those mph "settings" to log in my C25K workouts breaking it out with how long I ran, and how long I walked.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Nike+ (Iphone, has andriod app but it crashes) RunKeeper (Iphone and Andriod)
  • GemskiB
    GemskiB Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are using a treadmill I would use the HRM on there to get average HRs for each section and use an online calculator, I'm starting tonight and that's what I'm planning to do :)
  • Choltor
    Choltor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    First of all, great job on getting into Couch25k! There are so many people who can't bring themselves to even take that first step, and it's awesome that you're already planning ahead for the next week :)

I'll throw my vote in for Map My Run as well. The calorie expenditure that app shows is less than what I've seen on my HRM, but the difference seems consistent which is good for me.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Map My Run, Cardiotrainer, Endomondo, and a few others. I use Map My Run and love it! Worth checking out http://www.mapmyfitness.com

http://freew67.blogspot.com/

These are great apps, an they will give you a burn. Be aware they tend to overestimate, and trim a bit of before you enter it.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I use Joglog for the voice prompts, and Nike+ to calculate calories burned (joglog omits the warmup from it's calculations - so I just run both programs)

I enter it into MFP as C25K and enter the calories Nike+ calculated based on varying pace.

Great job!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you want to know calories burned, then get an HRM. You can get the Polar FT4 off amazon for around 60 dollars.. and it will tell you an estimate of what you a burning.

I use my Polar FT60 along with Endomondo on my Galaxy SII... and Endomondo tells me my MPH.
  • taxacctdfw
    taxacctdfw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Use a Heart Rate Monitor. If you don't have one, I strongly suggest investing in one. I use it to log all my calories burned on exercise. I don't trust the calcations they have here on MFP. Good Luck. I run my first 5k on September 29th and I can't wait to cross that finish line.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Best bet would be to get a HRM-if you don't have one, don't want one then like people have said, there are plenty of apps out there to use on phones (I use Endomondo and mapmyrun on my Iphone)
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I've always done it the way SopSongBird suggested. I know the times that I walked and the times that I jogged. I had a nike+ so I knew pace, and would just go for a general walking pace and then add the total time I walked, and then find an average of my running pace and tally that up. So if it was 5 minute warm up, 3 min run, 2 min walk, 8 min run, 2 min walk, 3 minute run, 5 minute cool down, I'd add 14 minutes walking, and 14 minutes running (at a pace I gathered from my nike+ or that I guesstimated).

Later when I started training for longer events I invested in a garmin, and I love it. But for now I think this method could work for your c25k calories.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    I use this spreadsheet-->http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/team_messageboard_thread.asp?board=0x788x27553109 (download from the site) to calculate the calories I burn. It's pretty accurate (when compared to MFP's estimations of the same workout).
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 2 yesterday! I just break down how many minutes I complete of each (running and walking). Week two ends up being around 9 minutes of jogging and 22 minutes of walking. I train on a treadmill, so it's easy to know my speed.
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I open up iMapMyRun on iPhone too before the C25k app and then use it to record my whole trip. At the end, it calculates calories burned based on my pace and time. It has been very accurate.

I am on w7 day 2
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    If you have the opportunity to use a treadmill for a few of the workouts, you can "add a new exercise to the database", name it and put in minutes of the workout and the amount of calories you burned - most treadmills will give you this info if you enter your weight before you start running.

The next time you do C25K on the treadmill, find that newly created exercise, and enter the minutes and calories burned. After a couple entries to this exercise, the MFP database is able to calculate your burn based on the minutes you exercised.
  • Chanels_mom
    Chanels_mom Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @dad106: I've been looking for a hrm for my reward to self once accomplishing my next goal. I appreciate you mentioning this hrm, I saved it and I think that's the one I will definitely buy after reading the reviews. So thanks!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    the nike+ app will be your best friend from c25k and way beyond...I entered c25k as '' c25k'' and entered the calories burnt from my HRM. Nike+ will give you specifics in terms of pace,etc.