It's a start! A little NSV....

Options
MoChroi8609
MoChroi8609 Posts: 18 Member
Lets start with some basic info about myself. I'm a 30yr old single mom to an amazing little boy who will be 3 in just a week! I have always been the "big girl" or the "fat one" but for the past 3yrs I have completely avoided mirrors or looking at myself from the neck down. This past June I took a long honest look at myself & hated what I saw. I decided enough was enough & started making some dietary changes. I saw some progress on my own but I didn't really get dedicated until my best friend told me she wanted to do a 1/2 marathon in 2014 called Run Disney. The kicker, she wanted me to do it with her. :huh: I have NEVER enjoyed running, not even the idea of it! But I thought, we're around the same size & if she can try to do this than so can I! We both joined MFP this month & I have to say it has seriously kept me in line & helped me keep a steady exercise & diet plan. I am completely honest with what I do physically & what I eat everyday. I have been shocked by the progress we've both made. Including the month & a half (or so) before I joined MFP I have dropped almost 20lbs (I'm so close I can "taste" it lol)! We both have some major weight to lose before we can seriously start training to attempt this run but we definately are headed in the right direction & continue to keep each other motivated :smile:

With that said! I had a small NSV yesterday while at the gym. I always start & end my workout w/ walking on the treadmill. During my ending walk I decided to at least attempt to jog. I jogged 1/2 a lap, walked a 1/2 then repeated. So I had little walk breaks in between but I JOGGED a lap in total! I was so proud of myself, 1.) for biting the bullet & not caring if the ppl at the gym saw me "jiggle" (there was a not so nice guy who had a coice comment), 2.) for actually jogging! & 3.) for not feeling like I was going to die afterward! These are baby steps but serious steps in the right direction!

Replies

• chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    You are a ROCK STAR! And seriously, fuk that guy! You are amazing, and you can do anything you put your mind to, and everyone else can choke on your dust! <3
  • Homa24
    Homa24 Posts: 33
    Options
    Rock on!!! Have you considered a training plan like Couch to 5k? I went from not being able to jog/run for even 30 seconds without feeling winded to running half an hour non-stop. I just posted my experience with the program to my blog if you want links to the training schedule, just three runs per week for nine weeks and it totally works. I'd like to do a half marathon someday, so I am working my way up. Next: a 10k!

Oh, here's my link:
    http://ohmahdeehness.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/couch-to-5k-review-and-what-im-doing-next/
  • MoChroi8609
    Options
    My sister mentioned that plan to me a couple weeks back. I haven't really looked into it but I def will! Thanks :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    What does that big-mouthed guy think a gym is FOR, just to pick up women? Pay no attention to small-minded, misogynistic idiots like him. You are doing great! Keep it up!
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Fantastic NSV!
    And don't worry about what others say...it's all about you!

I agree...start C25K. It's amazing the change you go through. Very excillerating to know you can do it :0)
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Exactly ... at the gym the other day I saw a guy who had a lot to lose (don't follow this guy to the scale or care, but a lot) ... and the thought that went through my head? "Awesome" :)

I said a silent prayer, smiled, and really hoped his journey would continue ... yes, some use it to fine tune ... but it's also a "starting point" for so many ...
    What does that guy think a gym is for?
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on running a lap!! Definitely check out the c25k program and the app for it. I have been using it and run regularly now. So happy for you. And ignore gym idiots. They are useless.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Lets start with some basic info about myself. I'm a 30yr old single mom to an amazing little boy who will be 3 in just a week! I have always been the "big girl" or the "fat one" but for the past 3yrs I have completely avoided mirrors or looking at myself from the neck down. This past June I took a long honest look at myself & hated what I saw. I decided enough was enough & started making some dietary changes. I saw some progress on my own but I didn't really get dedicated until my best friend told me she wanted to do a 1/2 marathon in 2014 called Run Disney. The kicker, she wanted me to do it with her. :huh: I have NEVER enjoyed running, not even the idea of it! But I thought, we're around the same size & if she can try to do this than so can I! We both joined MFP this month & I have to say it has seriously kept me in line & helped me keep a steady exercise & diet plan. I am completely honest with what I do physically & what I eat everyday. I have been shocked by the progress we've both made. Including the month & a half (or so) before I joined MFP I have dropped almost 20lbs (I'm so close I can "taste" it lol)! We both have some major weight to lose before we can seriously start training to attempt this run but we definately are headed in the right direction & continue to keep each other motivated :smile:

With that said! I had a small NSV yesterday while at the gym. I always start & end my workout w/ walking on the treadmill. During my ending walk I decided to at least attempt to jog. I jogged 1/2 a lap, walked a 1/2 then repeated. So I had little walk breaks in between but I JOGGED a lap in total! I was so proud of myself, 1.) for biting the bullet & not caring if the ppl at the gym saw me "jiggle" (there was a not so nice guy who had a coice comment), 2.) for actually jogging! & 3.) for not feeling like I was going to die afterward! These are baby steps but serious steps in the right direction!
    I heard of that half marathon! Sounds like fun. Keep it up! If you need more structure to your program training, I'd recommend Couch to 5k. I'm doing it and love it. I'm hoping that after this 5k I can do the Bridge to 10k and MAYBE do that Disney run with you.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations on your new lifestyle and your nsv! You've got this down. :)
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I think that is a pretty big NSV! It wasn't just something like tightening a knotch on your belt (which is still awesome!) but it was pushing yourself physically AND mentally. That's really like two nsv's!
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    Amazing dedication! Great job girl! - Get yours and don't worry about what ANYONE else thinks!

You've come a long way both physically and mentally and that's no small feat!
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Wow, how inspiring and motivating!! I wouldn't call that baby steps, I'd call that a major achievement!! You must be so proud of yourself - well done :drinker:
  • busyblkgirl
    busyblkgirl Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    So awesome and incredible!!! I swear those nsv's are everything to me!!
  • JaneMills0
    JaneMills0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a C25K app for your phone (Couch to 5K in nine weeks). Its designed to get you through those initial steps, pretty similar to what you did. So week one you alternate a minutes running with a minute and a half of walking, week 2 you up the running etc. All with a nice voice prompting you to continue and telling you what a good job you are doing. I have to confess I tried it and stopped but I am a very long way off being fit and don't have a half marathon luming in 18 months. I will try again again I've lost 20 lb more.
  • MoChroi8609
    Options
    WOW, thanks for all the kind words!I didn't think so many people would read this & respond :blushing: I am definately going to look into the couch to 5K program. I don't have a phone that I can get apps on but I'm sure I can use it another way. I have a lot of work to do, & I do mean A LOT. I rarely reveal my weight to anyone, but since I'm being honest here...I started back in June at 240 lbs & am now 220.4 lbs. I need to lose a lot more before I can seriously start trying to run but progress is progress! The 1/2 marathon in a year & a half is the goal but I'm still scared as hell to do it lol To be honest w/ you I'd be happy just to be fit enough to attempt it! Whether or not I can or can't I am striving towards it & the way i figure it, I can only get healthier & more fit in the process :smile:
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    We got this my friend. And those aren't baby steps. Those are HUGE achievements!!! You and I are gonna conquer the world 'guin!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA

And I'm gonna check out the C25k too :) My mom mentioned it at the start but, I never listen to her :/
  • Homa24
    Homa24 Posts: 33
    Options
    Also read John Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals and No Need for Speed - great reads and he advocates a mix of running and walking for half and full marathons - better that than being injured so his books are supportive reads!
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I rarely reveal my weight to anyone, but since I'm being honest here...I started back in June at 240 lbs & am now 220.4 lbs.

Trust me...you can do this!
    I did it at 250 lbs.

It's about endurance, speed comes later. Don't worry about your speed as you start. You'll get there.
    It's really an amazing program.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!