1225 too little?

Options
nikknyc
nikknyc Posts: 44 Member
looking to lose as quick and efficiently as possible.

currently 225 or so, want to lose 30 lbs by september. thoughts?

Replies

• susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    Um, I would say not a healthy option. September is only 4 1/2 wks away and a healthy loss is 2lbs per wk.
  • JDUR19
    JDUR19 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's faster than is recommended and could lead to a rebound in weight (or so I'm told anyway). I want to lose quite a bit by September and will work my *kitten* off at it (literally maybe).

Do whatever suits you
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Is 1225 what MFP gave you? At how many pounds per week weight loss? What is your BMR?

I suggest that you stick to 1 to 1.5 pounds weight loss (given your size of 225), and that you exercise every day to allow yourself to eat up to at least your BMR.
  • kbishop5
    kbishop5 Posts: 1
    Options
    Make realistic goals. If you make unrealistic goals, it is unlikely that you will achieve them. If you do not achieve your goals, you may be discouraged. Aim for no more than 2 pounds a week, it is the healthier option. Good luck!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    cut off a limb. Just kidding it might now weigh what you're trying to lose.

Well you can give it a shot. I would go more for the size than the weight. Keep working out and slim down and give everyone the appearence that you've got a smoking hot bod.
  • hmanley66
    hmanley66 Posts: 57
    Options
    I think it is much easier to keep weight off when you take the time to lose it safely. When you starve yourself you are not building a new lifestyle, you are dieting. You need to teach yourself maintainable habits in your weight loss or you will most likely gain it right back.
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you want to keep the weight off or just lose it temporarily? You could possibly lose a large amount quickly but it may not stay off. If you want to keep it off, portion control and exercise is your best option. Maybe you'll get lucky and you'll drop a sizeable amount early on. It's up to you and how you approach your goal.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    30 lbs? By September? Really? Uhhhhh..............
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    That's a pound a day beginning today. Unrealistic, yes, and very unhealthy, and an almost absolute guarantee that you'll yo-yo it right back on. What's the rush?
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

*facepalm*

Yes, that's too little... and 30 pounds in a month? Completely unrealistic.
    It's not about quick changes, it's about sustainable changes for LIFE, right?

If you want help setting realistic goals, I'd love to help you... but the 1200 calorie diet that MFP puts nearly everyone on is DUMB :) There's a whole GIANT group of people here on MFP that believe in proper nutrition and fuel for your body to help create lean mass. Sure you might lose quicker doing the 1200 calorie thing... but you're not going to be able to sustain that for the long haul.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    30 pounds in a month is absolutely not realistic or healthy.

Eat healthy, exercise reasonably, and enjoy your cruise (I'm booked on the Dream at the end of September).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There's only August between here & September, so I think you'll struggle. No, you'll fail. It's a pound a day !! That's a calorie deficit greater than your expenditure - not even a total fast will do that.

You food logging could be better, the 1225 calories aren't an issue for a 200+ lb woman but keep the protein up at 60-80g.
  • PlushHyena
    PlushHyena Posts: 28
    Options
    It's possible if you exercise enough and eat very little. I once went on an extreme diet for 3 weeks and lost maybe 25 lb (and couldn't take it any more). A year or two later, it was all back. And it started getting back as soon as I stopped dieting, and now I'm trying again (with a less extreme approach). It feels like a success at first, but when you realize you're going to have to do it every year or two... something needs to change.
  • nikknyc
    Options
    i must say that there is little to no support on here. there are nicer ways to say things. i didnt preface it that i'm working out daily from now until then and going forward, and that i'm already down the 8 of the 30 i wanted to lose. add me if you'd like to really help me, or we can be each other's motivation.

just seems like a bunch of meatheads thus far.
  • nikknyc
    Options
    thank you for the help. i will take all of this into consideration! :)
  • nikknyc
    Options
    and for me, it's not so much the weight as it is the size. after thinking rationally, i want to lose inches.
    ive always been happy in the skin that i'm in, and thats the first and most important step.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You won't find much support here for aggressive goals. Even 1200 calories is routinely called 'anorexic' here.

Is 1225 too little? Not according to authorities.

Are you taking a Disney cruise in Sept? Say hi to Castaway Cay for me!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

If this were two-three months ago, I'd say go for it. You'd basically have to loose 6 lbs a week, which will actually do more harm than good. Even if you lost "only" 9-10 lbs, that's still quite an accomplishment! Not to mention healthier. Eat healthy, exercise and be healthy.

PS- 1225 *can* be perfectly healthy, but it depends on the person. I am eating 1600 on a regular, non-workout day, closer to 2k on an actual workout day. I'm loosing about 1-2 lbs a week.
  • nikknyc
    Options
    i am, but up to canada so not to CC anytime soon. i'll say hi for you in january :)