How do you store flax seed

Options
KarenAnnne
KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
I buy whole flax seed and mill it as I use it. What is the best method of storing the seeds. I've been told to keep it in the freezer, then someone said refrigerator and I've read just in the cabinet is fine. Thoughts?

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Whole flax seeds should be fine in the cabinet if you plan on using them soon. However, ground flax seeds or whole seeds you've had for awhile should be stored in the fridge to keep the oils in the seeds from spoiling.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If it's whole.. the cabinet is fine for given expiration date. If you mill the seeds for later use, the freezer is your best friend.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I keep mine in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I think it depends on how quickly you intend to use them. I know because of the high fat content, they go rancid quickly (like nuts), but it doesn't happen overnight.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I shuffled mine into sandwich bags and stored them in the fridge. I use them to make hair gel, so I don't know if the storage life makes a difference for eating or hair use...
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I generally use a few tablespoons a day so they do last awhile. How do you know if they have turned rancid and no longer fresh?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    fats smell and taste bad when they go rancid. Keep them dry (and in a sealed container when milled) and they'll be fine - they probably came out of a heap in a massive shed or grain silo.
  • GiGi_FIERCE
    Options
    I keep them refrigerated.

I like:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/brown-flaxseeds.html
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I keep my whole seeds in an airtight container in the cupboard, and then every Sunday I measure out a week's worth of seeds, mill them, and transport the powder to an airtight container in the fridge.

However if I were going to mill a huge amount all at once (enough that I couldn't use the powder up in a week's time) I'd store it in the freezer.