Yoga peoples

Options
Alzzak
Alzzak Posts: 89 Member
can someone explain to me the difference between Bikram Yoga and say normal in a sauna suit?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    What's normal yoga?

The only purpose / result of hot yoga is to increase flexibility. If you're thinking you're burning extra calories because you are sweating more, you are wrong. Any weight loss from a hot yoga class would be the result of dehydration. Not a loss of fat.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

The only purpose / result of hot yoga is to increase flexibility. If you're thinking you're burning extra calories because you are sweating more, you are wrong. Any weight loss from a hot yoga class would be the result of dehydration. Not a loss of fat.

Yep. Heat can be generated in any number of ways. My gym doesn't offer Bikram or Hot yoga. But, I run or spin before each yoga class so my muscles are already warm and ready to be stretched. In a traditional yoga class, heat it built with sun salutations and the fire breath.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Bikram yoga is essentially hatha yoga performed in a room temperature of 105 F with 40% humidity. There are other forms of "hot yoga" i.e. yoga in a heated room that is not necessarily quite that hot. For example one of my local gyms does a hot yoga in an 85 F room. The warmer room enables the muscles to stretch more easily thus resulting in a more intense and more effective yoga routine. I have never tried Bikram, but I'm not sure if it is suitable for beginners, I've always had the impression that it was for more advanced students, but I could be wrong. No one near me offers Bikram, so if it's something you are interested in trying then discuss it with the instructor, they would best be able to determine if it is suitable and compatible for you.
  • Alzzak
    Alzzak Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was meaning, what is known as Hatha yoga. I am highly thinking on adding a yoga bit to my workouts...I know guy yoga... haha... And was doing some research to try to find one that would work for me. I knew increased sweat didn't equal increased fat loss... no matter what that poster says"sweat is fat crying"

Eh, I am rambling....
  • catwoman131
    Options
    Oh glad I stubbled into this forum! It sounds like I can feel good about skipping yoga in a 100 degree room as long as I do my cardio before my "regular" yoga? NICE!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Just take a few different classes and see what works for you. Most places offer walk-in rates (even gyms that charge memberships) for people who are exploring. You can research the different kinds of yoga online (Wikipedia has a nice breakout), but ultimately, the only way to know what works for you is to try it. Some might leave you thinking "eh, not so much," while others will make you feel more relaxed and energized (at the same time) than you would ever have thought possible. Each discipline has its converts who swear it's the best of them all, but the only way to know what works for you is to try it.
    BTW, we have plenty of guys in our classes -- and one of the instructors is a man.
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hooray for hatha, vansanya (spelling?) yoga! Love it,!Birkham, not so much. Like everyone keeps saying, try them all and see what works best for you :-)
  • ActiveYogi
    ActiveYogi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bikram is a series of 26 postures, each repeated twice. Livestrong says "Bikram yoga is certainly an effective cardio workout. It burns 500 to 1,000 calories per session, which is 30 percent more than other forms of yoga, according to Fit Day. The extreme temperatures at which bikram is practiced encourage the body to sweat, and help the blood to circulate more effectively."

I practice Bikram a few times a week if my schedule allows and it's definitely very taxing on your body and your heart gets PUMPING. According to many websites, like the one I quoted from above, Bikram can be seen as a cardiovascular workout just like vinyasa yoga, but unlike hatha yoga which is more medatative.

Hope this helps!