How do I lose fat but not necessarily weight?

Options
So now that I've reached my goal weight I'm not quite sure what to do next. I would like to set a goal of losing another 3% body fat but I don't necessarily care if I lose more weight. How do I focus on losing fat and building muscle?

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Work out with weights. It will help sculpt your body
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making it to your goal weight!
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I will be watching this thread since I am in the same boat and not sure what to do either.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Just watched this on Dr. Oz. Eat sugar in moderation because sugar turns to fat.
  • Nikki_Z
    Options
    Building muscle through strength training is the way to go to lose fat, but not weight. And don't worry, you won't bulk up!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Start some resistance training. If you work on building muscle the fat will get out of the way.

Congratulations on your weight loss success.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Congrats on reaching your goal weight!

Now is a good time to bump up to maintenance for about a month. Give your hormones time to return to a fat-loss-friendly state and focus on increasing your athletic performance...lift heavier, run harder. Set a performance goal for now. You will adapt to become stronger/faster to reach that goal. If you eat a couple hundred calories extra per day (100-200) you will be able to gain a small amount of muscle mass in a month or two. Then return to a modest caloric deficit (~300) to lose some more body fat. You'll find it's easier to drop body fat in cycles once you're at a low body fat already. You'll have increased your BMR slightly and changed the dominant hormones which will result in easier fat breakdown.
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the congratulations and the advice. Tonight at the gym I did 30 minutes on the elliptical at a fairly easy pace and then 30 minutes weight lifting. Looking forward to getting some sculpting!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You might want to sign up with a trainer for a session or two to help create focused goals and a plan. They'll also be able to give you a really challenging program and illustrate the intensity needed to really overload your muscles and cause some growth. :smile: