Need (very minor) C25K advice...

Options
suemar74
suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
My Warrior Dash is less than two weeks out. I'm getting kind of nervous since I've never been a runner.

I've been trying to do C25K, and then reward myself with a Zombies, Run! walk/run for each week completed, but have not been on a regular schedule due to shin splints and then a fire.

I was thinking about hitting the trail tonight and running as much and as far as I could, just to see what I could do. Bad idea? Good idea? Doesn't-matter-either-way idea? Or should I just stick with the program and get as far as I can with it before the Dash, and hope for the best?

(If I get conflicting answers, then I'll just go with majority rule :wink: )

Thanks!

Replies

• leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'd say stick with the program so you don't push yourself too far and injure yourself before the Warrior Dash! I have nearly finished C25K and though I've done it more than I was meant to (most days instead of 3 days a week) I've stuck to what it's told me to do on each run.

x
  • BWatzka
    BWatzka Posts: 3
    Options
    Stick with it. The workouts are paced so that you gradually build up your endurance.
  • suemar74
    Options
    Okay, that's what I'll do...my thanks to both of you :)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    You really won't need to do much running in that race--you'll be stopped/doing obstacles for most of it. YOu'll be fine, just stick with your program for now :-)
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    As a person who has ran the Warrior dash I can tell you don't stress on your ability to run, climb, ect. You will run to obstacle and unless you are a fast runner odds are you will wait at some of them for 5+ minutes.I would focus more on your upper body strength, short interval running and some leg weight training.

But again the Warrior dash is not meant to be a hard core event and you will do better than some and get passed by many. So take it as a fun event that you get to swim through swampy water, crawl through mud, leap over fire and climb walls and end with a free beer while wearing a Viking hat.
  • suemar74
    Options
    Thank you! I am definitely excited about it, in addition to being nervous. And I am doing it mainly for the fun (and mud) of it. But I also want to be equally proud of how I did too, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the great advice! I'll continue with my regularly scheduled run this evening.

( p.s. I still get the beer and the hat even if I trip over the fire, right? ) :happy:
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am definitely excited about it, in addition to being nervous. And I am doing it mainly for the fun (and mud) of it. But I also want to be equally proud of how I did too, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the great advice! I'll continue with my regularly scheduled run this evening.

( p.s. I still get the beer and the hat even if I trip over the fire, right? ) :happy:

Dont worry about your running...Keep going with c25. The warrior dash is not run intensive. so many people we practically walked the first 10 min
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Heck yes you do! LOL. I have run a few races and of everything I have ever ran the warrior dash was my favorite run ever!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is a serious runner, and he loves the WD for the silly good time it is. You'll do just fine. Go out and have some fun!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Just run and have fun. If you are getting shin splints, I would see if there is a better brand of shoe for you running style. A good running store is the place to start. You won't want your best RS for the WD - gets muddy in most of them. Whatever you do, HAVE SOME FUN!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    i skipped the last few weeks and just tried to see how far i could go and i did the whole 3 miles! what would it hurt to try.