Olympics

Options
Articeluvsmemphis
Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
Not sure about you guys, but watching these Olympic events makes me feel that anything is possible. I love the story snippets they give on some of these athletes and the adversity they overcame, or are still in the midst of. It shows they're still human, but have awesome inner strength to match the physical ability as well. I hope you all keep with your goals because all is possible!

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I wish I could watch some of it, but the only form of access I have is through a crappy internet stream. :( I guess I'll have to see if I can watch the Winter Olympics in 2 years.
  • Owly22
    Owly22 Posts: 6
    Options
    I completely agree! It's so inspiring! Currently glued to the diving!! C'mon GB!!
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Havent seen it yet, but I heard that the opening was very...sub-par. Which is a let-down since you expect alot from the start of the Olympics.
  • hales_04
    hales_04 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love the Olympics, it was the Winter Olympics that actually kicked my butt into gear a few years ago and started making better decisions :)
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    The olympics are great and i'm lucky to be going to a few of the events. iIt's going to be fantastic.
  • amyjax
    amyjax Posts: 102
    Options
    The opening was fantastic, a huge theatrical spectacular glimpse of British life, from before the Industrial Revolution to the present day, covering British music, film, technology (hi Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web), relationships, culture... a giant inflatable Voldemort, hundreds of Mary Poppins' floating down, the Queen "skydiving" with James Bond...

...I've just been laughing a lot at people saying the opening ceremony was "too British". No ****, Sherlock, the Olympics are *in* Britain!

I'm watching the high diving just now, it is TERRIFYING how high up they are!!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I am a cynical ex-pat Pom living in Oz but I have to admit that the opening ceremony was awesome.

Even the 'Sydney 2000 won't be beaten' Aussies I know have expressed admiration.

Watching it now, the countryside looks lush, it has to be said :)
  • jessingh84
    jessingh84 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I abs. love the olympics and its funny, everyone seems to get more fit during this time and there is always a surge in gym memberships-I just signed up for the gym and there was an olympic special running. I think its also spectacular the way the world can come togethor for something good rather than the fighting that normally occurs.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I've been watching too and enjoying. Holy zero body fat! Those atheletes are amazing.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Olympics and every store makes me misty-eyed. The athletes dedicate so much of their lives to compete at the world level - regardless of whether or not they're from a powerhouse nation. I love everything the Olympics stand for.

I, too, thought the opening ceremony was spectacular and love the history it told.

GO U.S.A.!! :flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Havent seen it yet, but I heard that the opening was very...sub-par. Which is a let-down since you expect alot from the start of the Olympics.

I realized from my original post I seem very condescending. I dont mean it that way at all. I'm sure its amazing. I havent seen it yet, so I dont even know why I commented on it yet.

To be honest, the sources I heard it from are very critical and mean ol' ladies. So I dont know why I took their word for it >_>
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    Olympic opening ceremony made me proud to be British. Now that I live in the US, I'm rooting for GB first and then the US :)

The dedication of the athletes is what got me out of bed this morning to run. I was whining about how it was too early and how I was too tired, but then thought of all the athletes who train and train in bad weather and in all hours and through obstacles (physical/mental/emotional) because they have a goal to attain. And then I thought of the goal I want to attain, put my running gear on and headed out the door. They're a great example to us all. I may never be as fit as them, but I never want to be obese and couch-potato-ey ever again; I've come too far already to stop.
  • jazzkat68
    jazzkat68 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I really liked the Opening Ceremony...esp...Mr Bean!!
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I really liked parts of the opening ceremony. I loved the fact that the Queen showed what a good sport she is, by participating in the show (even letting her dogs, who are just too cute, be in the show). I liked how it kept moving along and didn't drag. It set a great tone for the rest that is to follow.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    The opening was fantastic, a huge theatrical spectacular glimpse of British life, from before the Industrial Revolution to the present day, covering British music, film, technology (hi Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web), relationships, culture... a giant inflatable Voldemort, hundreds of Mary Poppins' floating down, the Queen "skydiving" with James Bond...

...I've just been laughing a lot at people saying the opening ceremony was "too British". No ****, Sherlock, the Olympics are *in* Britain!

I'm watching the high diving just now, it is TERRIFYING how high up they are!!
    I double this... Heee don't forget about David Bowie. :wink: