Should i log what HR monitor says or treadmill?

Options
So i just finished walking on the treadmill at a 3.0 speed with a 11.0 incline for 45 minutes. My ft4 says i burned 385 but the treadmill said 698. Thats over 300 calorie difference! Should i go by machine or HR monitor? Or log the average? Anyone know??
Btw, this is the first time I use my HR monitor at the gym (just got it last wk)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Machines are notorious for overestimating. Use your HRM's number.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I go by what my HRM says over what the machine says.
  • tlucas69
    tlucas69 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I can understand the machines overestimating, but by HALF???? Seriously??!!
  • aliciagudino
    aliciagudino Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I'd work out at my school gym on the treadmill it'd tell me that for 30 min walk at 3.3 MPH and 30 min jog, I would burn about 230 calories. What?! I went with it because I had no idea what I should have been burning. I got a HRM (the FT4) and now I burn close to 650 when I do 60 min of walk/jog. (outside, no longer attend the gym) Although that is a big difference in yours, I'd still go with your HRM, it's going to "know" you better than the machine :)
  • ekking69
    ekking69 Posts: 44
    Options
    HRM!! And, if I may ask, which one do you have? I want to get one and am looking for recommendations!
  • tlucas69
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4! Like i said, i've only had it for a week, but i like it!! And it's pink!
  • tobeftmom
    tobeftmom Posts: 52
    Options
    I have tne ft4 also and love it. It does record half the amont my bike does also. I go by the hrm though just to be safe.
  • tlucas69
    Options
    bump.....
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't have an HR monitor, but I figure that my treadmill numbers are fairly accurate because I have to enter my weight. I use those numbers over the ones given for the number of minutes in MFP.
  • tlucas69
    Options
    I don't have an HR monitor, but I figure that my treadmill numbers are fairly accurate because I have to enter my weight. I use those numbers over the ones given for the number of minutes in MFP.

That's what I used to do also, but now I'm thinking i was logging double calories actually burned according to my hrm...........booo