Addicted to Nutella!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I've never tasted it...not even quite sure what it is. After reading all of yun's guys' posts I don't think I should dare go there. I thought it was just some sort of knock off peanut butter??? :noway: Seems a lil crack-like, LOL!!

21371726.png

You are correct. Unfortunately it is very crack like.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Yes! Addicted to Nutella. I am 40lbs overweight after having gave birth in Jan.

I eat this stuff all day long. I spread it on bread and think nothing of it. I know I need to get it out of my house but I seriously can't. How do I break this addiction? Ugh!!!!!!

I've enjoyed it in the past too, but I added it to my overnight oats the other day, and 1 Tb. had more sugar than my daily allowance for sugar. DONE! DH can have it!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Make your own. Throw some hazelnuts, stevia, vanilla extract and cocoa powder into a food processor. BAM! Your own nutella without all the extra sugars and crap. Still probably not the best thing for someone who is trying to lose weight but it's a hell of a lot safer than the jar of nutella in the store lol. Here's the recipe I've used in the past: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/09/better-than-nutella/
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What do you want more? Nutella, or a healthy body?

Nutella is basically a melted candy bar in a jar (I'm being dead serious). Would you snack on Snickers bars all day? I didn't think so. It's NOT a nut butter, it's not healthy, it has no dietary benefits for you. It's a chocolate bar in a jar.

If its a carb addiction you're trying to break, then going cold turkey is a necessity. You're jacking up your body's ability to respond to sugars in your bloodstream, making you crave more and more (look up "insulin resistance" to see what I'm talking about).

Honestly, though, the next time you want nutella, just go eat a big spoonful of sugar.... nutritionally, it's basically the same thing.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I buy it all the time and successfully portion control it. I eat a little almost every day in overnight oats (steelcut oats and milk, overnight in the fridge). Put 1tbsp of Nutella in it in the morning, mix it and enjoy.

I don't crave sweets as much as I used to though, so I'm sure this helps cut down on the Nutella craving. Once I cut sodas out (for the most part), I don't crave sweets....water seems to be a good sweets deterrent. It is possible to just eat a little. Think of it like dessert! Have half a serving with some fruit after dinner. It turns out to be a good snack :)

Or just do like everyone else, and throw it out. But personally, I love it too much to do that. :)
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    If you really can't kick the chocolate spread addiction, try stepping down to Chocolate Almond butter.
    It's 180 calories per 2 Tbs, compared to Nutella's 200. Its' 4g protein compared to 3 and its only 9g sugar compared to nutella's whopping 21 grams!
  • cliffhouse49
    Options
    The people who make it are a small family...they really didn't mean any harm. For a breakfast food, spread thin on some whole grain bread with an orange on the side, an ok deal.
  • Jenn09870
    Jenn09870 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of Homemade recipes for Nutella. My daughter loves it too.
    This is only one, but if you Google it you'll find them under Nutella recipes and chocolate hazelnut spread.
    You will also have control over the ingredients and can substitute healthier alternatives making it better for you.

This is taken from a blog- it's not mine, I didn't write it and I haven't tried it personally yet:
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/09/better-than-nutella/

"...My homemade version also has just half the calories of store-bought Nutella, but I didn’t specifically set out to make a lower-calorie recipe. It just turned out that way..."

"Homemade Nutella Nutrition Information

This recipe yields around 2 cups.

Per 15 g serving:

57 calories (regular Nutella has 100)
    4.5 g fat
    2.5 g sugar (regular Nutella has 10 grams!)
    4 g carbohydrates
    0 mg cholesterol

This nutritional info DOES include the sugar/agave AND the optional oil. If you sub stevia or xylitol for the sugar, the amount of calories (and obviously the sugar) will be lower. (As I said in the post, I haven’t personally tried subbing stevia for the sugar, and therefore I can’t vouch for the taste. But xylitol works well!)"

I never considered making it myself until I came across a different Nutella recipe accidentally, it doesn't sound too hard to prepare.

Saw the other post listing this particular website, they beat me to it, lol.

Here is another though, similar and it has about 1/2 the calories of regular Nutella:
    http://www.foodiefiasco.com/?p=2178
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    Throw it in the trash, babe! Some people can stick to the 1 serving or half serving and be ok - and some can't. AND THAT'S FINE! I'm partially convinced they put crack in it so you'll crave it all the time.

Best of luck and don't buy it again! Stay strong :D

hmm always wondered if they put something in it! they MUST do.
  • Bananauyuu
    Bananauyuu Posts: 10
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OENU9ZMEeww
    After watching this I didn't want Nutella anymore LOL.
  • wanttoloose35
    Options
    Thanks to all who gave encouraging advice. :) Yes, obviously I want to loose weight that is why I am here but some of the harsh responses just do not sit well with me. Glad to know I am not alone in my love for Nutella!!!
  • only_5mom
    only_5mom Posts: 28
    Options
    It is so addictive! Friends and I have made our own, sugar free! It may not have as smooth a consistency, but the flavor is really good. If you keep it going the the food processor, it gets smoother. Mix it with sugar free peanut butter and coconut oil and you have something that is akin to a chocolate truffle. But you have to keep it refrigerated or it goes liquid on you. They first started this combo with Nutella and found they were not losing weight like they would like and the Nutella was the culprit. Switched to PB2 and did this home made version. Chocolate PB2 is a great substitute for the flavor without all the calories and fat. I can't find a link to the recipe I used, but here is one that is similar. I used almonds because hazelnuts are only available here in the winter around Christmas and xylitol to sweeten it. Jenn just posted the link I was going to post with the recipe!
  • Jenn09870
    Jenn09870 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OENU9ZMEeww
    After watching this I didn't want Nutella anymore LOL.

I'd imagine if anyone were to do this it would cure you of wanting Nutella anymore...
    Yuck. I'm not a big chocolate person anyway either, but this just looks gross.
    Looks like he had some trouble too.

4,000 Calories, 400 grams of sugar and 200 grams of fat

WOW
    :sick:
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Make your own. Throw some hazelnuts, stevia, vanilla extract and cocoa powder into a food processor. BAM! Your own nutella without all the extra sugars and crap. Still probably not the best thing for someone who is trying to lose weight but it's a hell of a lot safer than the jar of nutella in the store lol. Here's the recipe I've used in the past: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/09/better-than-nutella/

Amazing!

Thanks!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I too am addicted, and while i still had the dregs in my last jar, made it my reward.
    When i get to 75 kgs i get to buy another jar.
    For each extra month it takes me to get there i drop down a jar size.

So far i haven't caved and bought another jar.
    And i did find that the last jar i had was super clean when i finally managed to put it in the bin.

Also try a drink of hazelnut milk, it did kinda remind me of nutella, and nowhere near as bad.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Evil stuff. I refuse to even have it in my house. I wont spend a dollar on it.

Its delicious and if I buy it I will eat it the very next time my day goes to crapville.:bigsmile:
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    i stopped buying certain foods -- owing to challenges with portion control
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    4880682_700b.jpg