Did water aerobics eff my Polar up?!?! =/

Options
Hi everyone. So I know no one will know for sure based off of what I say, but has anyone else had any problems with their Polar (I have the FT4) acting up after using it in water? I used it for the first time doing water aerobics for about 45 minutes, and I noticed that it was being kind of crazy (I'm guessing because at some points I wasn't really moving, so it wasn't reading right?), like going WAY up when I was just barely moving, and going way down, etc. I followed the instructions on caring for it after getting it wet and what not, but when I used it today for my walk/jog, it just seemed off. Normally when I walk, I walk fast, and my heart rate will get to about 135-140 (my lowest of the range is 145) and today it was barely getting to 120, and I was walking FAST. Also, I thought that I would do a fast jog for a few minutes to see what it did and it didn't get above 155, and I was out of breath which I never do, I jog at a pace I can still breathe but my heart is still pumpin good, and normally when I jog it gets to at least 165 and up to 175 (my highest of the range is 165). So is my Polar out of whack do you think? Has anyone else had this problem? What was kind of werid though at the end of my walk/jog, the calories seemed about the same as they have been, so that's odd...but my heart rate was a lot different. Hmm. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i gave up on using mine during water aerobics.

the unit is waterproof, but it just doesnt register any heart rate while i'm in the water. it's annoying, but it doesnt bug me too much because i dont treat water aerobics as a main exercise. it's more like a fun active recovery for me
  • aliciagudino
    aliciagudino Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. Yeah. I didn't really want to count my water aerobics as a "work out"....I had never been before, and I was just curious to see what it would read, but I don't think I will use it anymore underwater!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Have you changed the battery in it before? Whenever you have to change a battery in any watch, you run the risk of it no longer being water proof.
  • aliciagudino
    aliciagudino Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Have you changed the battery in it before? Whenever you have to change a battery in any watch, you run the risk of it no longer being water proof.

No, I've only had it for about a month! But thanks for the idea!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

No, I've only had it for about a month! But thanks for the idea!

If it's still acting funny, put it in a container of dry rice overnight. If there's extra moisture, the rice should absorb it. At least it works when a cell phone gets wet!