Best protein powders?

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
I prefer to eat whole, unprocessed foods, but a protein shake for breakfast is better than nothing at all and often all I have time for. It is also one of the few things I can talk my husband into "eating" before work. I purchased Body Fortress (Walmart, $15 for 2lbs) chocolate and vanilla. I can make the chocolate decently drinkable with some work, but the vanilla is awful even with great ingredients mixed in.

Chocolate recipe
1 cup coffee
1 cup whole, organic milk
1 scoop chocolate powder
splash SF caramel syrup
ice

Vanilla recipe (still has icky aftertaste)
1 cup whole, organic milk
1 scoop vanilla powder
Big handful frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries)

If you have figured out something tasty, what brand/flavor/recipe do you use? Where do you purchase it, and approximately how much does it cost?

Thanks!

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I hope that doesn't mean that they are all yucky :-(
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    No, there's just about 4 other active threads on the front page for this right now so you won't get many responses, lol.
    I'd suggest you just read through some of those for ideas.

I personally use Optimum Nutrition's Double Rich Chocolate. Tastes just like chocolate milk. :)
    My boyfriend used to drink the vanilla Body Fortress.. I couldn't even smell it nevermind taste it. Disgusting.

ETA: It's about $26? or so. I mix it with unsweetened almond milk. I bought it at GNC.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    my fave is Jillian Michael's brand. Smooth in a bana or strawberries and peanut butter, and it's soooooo good!!!!

ETA- its $10 and I buy it at Walmart. Walgreens carries it also for about $11.00
  • TheDeviation
    TheDeviation Posts: 149
    Options
    Gaspari Myofusion is very good. Roughly $30-35 for 2lbs. It's a blend of proteins which is nice. Optimum Nutrition is also very good. Same price range.

Taste is very specific to everyone. Both of the above make quality, tasty protein powders.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I sent you a PM, which I include Gaspari Myofusion, TruNutrition Trutein and Iforce Protean as the best tasting protein shakes according to bodybuilding.com members.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Huh. I like the vanilla.

And there's nothing wrong with skipping breakfast.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I use hemp protein powder from Nutiva and add yogurt, a banana, and other fruit for added flavor. I like it because it is all natural, high in protein, and also high in all the essential fatty acids, Omega 3, Omega 6 and Omega 9. I don't worry about tast because it tastes however I make it taste, depending what I add.
  • xdieselx
    xdieselx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used to buy XPN chocolate and cookies & cream protein powder which were very good but it was around 35$ for 2lb. I found body forteress protein powder at walmart for 20$ for 2lb and its very good! Buy the "cookies & cream" flavor only, the chocolate is too strong for my taste (and i usually LOVE chocolate). I only buy the body forteress now because its much cheaper!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I think that vanilla is difficult to get right. If you want to make it more palatable, think about adding more flavorful fruits. Bananas, mangoes and pineapple are my favorites for hiding the gross vanilla flavor. Once you have those flavors in, you can add other complimentary flavors (peanut butter and bananas, for instance) for variety.