Food before workout?

Options
What do you eat before a workout, if you do at all? I'm in the process of trying to find something that fits me, and thus far, I think just a banana before my 45 minute run. Not sure if that;s too little, or whatever, and now I'm just rambling.

Whatcha be eatin before a work out, MFP ladies and gents?

Replies

• AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You should ALWAYS eat before a workout! 1-2 hours before your workout, eat something that will keep you fueled and efficient. I tend to eat some toast with peanut butter or something similar. Whole grains are good because they give you a longer supply of energy. I don't buy into all the energizing supplement drinks (like No Xplod) because it just seems like I'm adding too much fake crap to my body. I've also been known to make a quick turkey sandwich on whole wheat (just turkey, mustard, and bread), and a mozzarella cheese stick.

Best advice I can offer is don't eat stuff that will sit like a brick in your stomach, and don't drink caffeine (it will dehydrate you). I personally hate working out after eating a lot of dairy, too.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I never eat before I exercise. It makes me sick - I'll end up vomiting along the side of the road.

I run 3-8 miles on an empty stomach three to four times a week. It's not a problem for me.

But, everyone is different. Eat something relatively healthy - protein, whole grains, fruit, veggies, etc. If a banana sounds good to you, go for it!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You should ALWAYS eat before a workout!

Wow! Then I guess all those people who are doing fasted training are really doing it wrong? Huh?

There is no hard and fat rule about this. You will generally be more energetic and be able to workout with greater intensity with some carbs 30 minutes to an hour before workout but it is really a matter of personal preference. Based on research, Lyle McDonald has said in one of his articles that there is slighly greater lipolysis with fed training than fasted training. FWIW
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Wow! Then I guess all those people who are doing fasted training are really doing it wrong? Huh?

There is no hard and fat rule about this. You will generally be more energetic and be able to workout with greater intensity with some carbs 30 minutes to an hour before workout but it is really a matter of personal preference. Based on research, Lyle McDonald has said in one of his articles that there is slighly greater lipolysis with fed training than fasted training. FWIW

Personally? Yes, I believe those who fast before training are doing it wrong. Its not healthy to ask your body to do so much with no fuel to keep you going. Sure, the logic of "well, if there is no food, I'll burn more fat" might make mental sense, but in practice it doesn't tend to work that well. You can train harder and longer after feeding your body. Longer/harder training always equals more results. I respect that there are multiple schools of thought on the topic, but I absolutely do not think that fasting before a training session is wise.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    You can if you'd like! It all depends on the person. I have to eat something small before I workout or I'll have no energy. I'll usually eat some fruit (half a cup of grapes or something like that) to give me a little bit of fuel, wait about half an hour before working out, and then have a bowl of oatmeal after I'm finished. Some people have to work out on an empty stomach or they'll get sick.
    Whatever works for you :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Personally? Yes, I believe those who fast before training are doing it wrong. Its not healthy to ask your body to do so much with no fuel to keep you going. Sure, the logic of "well, if there is no food, I'll burn more fat" might make mental sense, but in practice it doesn't tend to work that well. You can train harder and longer after feeding your body. Longer/harder training always equals more results. I respect that there are multiple schools of thought on the topic, but I absolutely do not think that fasting before a training session is wise.

And do you have research that backs this up or is it just anecdotal opinion?
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    Personally, I don't typically eat if I'm working out first thing in the morning. If my time at the gym is in the evening, I make sure that I haven't eaten a heavy meal and that it's at least an hour before I walk into the gym. I hope you find what works best for you!
  • wakie27
    wakie27 Posts: 26
    Options
    I don't eat before I work out in the morning on the weekdays (I have a hard enough time waking up early enough at 5:15 to get to the gym, I'm not going to wake up an hour earlier just to try to eat something). However, on the weekends if I make it out to the gym, it's not until a little later, and I usually like to have a little something before I go. A banana or granola bar seem to do the trick for me.
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat solid food right before a workout, because it gives me a stomach ache. If I exercise within 2 hours of eating a meal, I won't eat anything additional. If it's been awhile since I ate, I like to make a smoothie or protein shake and drink maybe half of it before my workout and the rest after.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I do not eat before working out in the morning.
    There are things to be said about not having the energy to push through your workouts, but I don't struggle with that.
    Occasionally I am in need of something before I workout if I burned a lot the day before, so I will eat a banana and some almond butter.
    I just listen to my body. Everyone is different.
  • Cappicorn
    Cappicorn Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When I work out in the morning, I will eat 1/2 english muffin beforehand and then have some celery sticks w/ peanut butter on hand to eat afterwards. The half of english muffin is little enough that I don't get stomach pains but it keeps me from constantly thinking about food during the workout.
  • Colleen_G
    Colleen_G Posts: 57
    Options
    I have a Prograde Protein shake about 45 min before workout. If I am out of my mix, I have a small gala apple and a tbsp of natural peanut butter.

We have seen time and time again, people coming to work out with our bootcamp group, who haven't eaten (despite being warned to do so) get sick...like puking sick. Those who have eaten a little something 30-45min beforehand don't get sick.
  • AlyssaNorth
    AlyssaNorth Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    im not much help cuz im just like you. i eat a banana before i pt in the morning. it works...thats prolly what ill always do. then i eat after my workout when i get hungry
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    if i eat it will be an hour or more before i work out, but i also take craze pre-workout 30mins before working out...it gives you a good burst of energy, not jittery or shaking but gradual...word of advice if taking craze, take it at least 6 hours before you go to bed..if not you will be wide awake in the middle of the night...happened to me last night again
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend does leangains and does fasted training with the addition of BCAAs, and sometimes a pre-workout if he's feeling tired or ****ty or something.

I personally don't eat 2-3 hours before I work out otherwise I vomit and get really ill. I also take BCAAs and sometimes a pre-workout. :)
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i cant exercise first thing in the day. i need to eat first. but i also need to wait about 2 hours after eating to feel optimal. 1.5 hrs if i'm pushing it.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I split my workouts up - i do cardio generally in the am and lifting in the afternoon.
    I am one of those who does not eat before my am workout - but i am also one who generally will not eat bfast until 9a either - it's how my body has always worked... well been good with - and i don't eat if i'm not hungry...

eating before my am workouts makes me sick, i even have to limit my water b/c i cramp up.

However, my lunch routines, i generally eat something before - but it's later in the day so i can't say if id need that fuel if it was the am...

to ea thier own, if your body feels weak, sick, etc w/out food i agree with the comment about grains (oatmeal keeps me full for a long time & gives me energy), or maybe a protien shake itself, something healthy and filling. but eat it in portion control, or else you might get icky from being over full...
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Anything in my stomach before a workout other than water is likely to make me throw up. I have to wait a minimum of 3 hours between the last time I ate and my workout.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I found this helpful:
    http://greatist.com/health/the-complete-guide-to-workout-nutrition/

It has suggestions for optimal snacks for a variety of workouts.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I always workout about an hour or so after dinner. It fits my schedule, and I have plenty of fuel for the workout.