$150 - what would you buy?

Options
So, I have about $150 to spend on some sort of exercise equipment. I would love some advice. If you had $150 to spend, what would you buy? So far, the things that are jumping out at me are:

- Stationary Exercise bike - fan wheel resistance

- Stationery Exercise bike - magnetic wheel resistance

- Stationary Recumbent Exercise bike - magnetic wheel resistance

- "Gazelle Edge Trainer" (semi-elliptical)

I want something I can use inside, that it quiet enough not to wake a sleeping toddler during nap time, or to use while my hubby is watching TV.

I have some leg/hip/knee/ankle issues due to an old injury on one side and a rotated femur on the other; the lower the impact, the better. Running is not my friend, nor are jumping jacks, or high-impact aerobics..... though I may be able to sell tickets to entertain spectators with a multicolor, spotted, swollen leg if I choose that route.... LOL

I want to be able to get my cardio up; right now, I'm just not reaching that goal of mine. In the summertime, I have access to our HOA pool; in the winter time, I find I'm struggling to get much if any exercise in.

I don't really care what kind of computer/tracking/info it has on it, as I already purchased my Polar F11 and will be using that primarily to track calorie/heart rate/etc.

I haven't been inside a gym, or on any sort of fitness equipment in probably 8 years or so.... I have no idea what "works" and what doesn't.

Heelllllpppp!!! :o)

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

:ohwell: :smile: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Save up a little bit more money and buy the Wii fit plus, so worth the money and it won't wake the little one up. Oh and there is a number of different exercises on there and it is fun,fun!
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Save up a little bit more money and buy the Wii fit plus, so worth the money and it won't wake the little one up. Oh and there is a number of different exercises on there and it is fun,fun!
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I have a baby too, and we just got the Wii, and the Wii fit plus- going to get it out of the box and hooked up this week. I also have knee/hip issues, so has to be low/no impact, and haven't been to a gym in a few years. I needed to also limit the space- so an elyptical wouldn't work for me, but Hubby WILL work out with me (as it's in a game form) so this is what we chose. I know it'll cost more, but I'll also USE it- and have a built in support - my husband will play with me. Good luck!!!
    I know that Biggest Loser has some workout DVDs, and my original answer was to get something like that with the workout bands and the step to go with it.. if you wanted something NOW before you save up enough for something else.
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    id buy a POLAR heart rate monitor and save the rest for some good running shoes

:flowerforyou:
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    the wii fit is a good one but some times i think good old fashion exercise is just as a good and cheaper..
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Of the options you are considering, I would go to a fitness store that sells them (or ones just like them) and try them all out and pick the one YOU like the best. The more you like it, the more you'll use it and that's what really matters. Good luck!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'd say skip the Gazelle. I've owned a couple of them, and although I enjoyed them at the time, after using an elliptical, I realize that the Gazelle isn't as good of a workout. I'd recommend an elliptical, and I'd recommend looking on Kijiji or Cragislist as you can find some really good deals. You could probably find 2 or 3 pieces of equipment for the $150.
  • angelwife27
    Options
    I have a Tony Little Gazelle. It's not quite the same as the Glider. I love it even though I don't use it as much as I should. I've had mine for several years and my hubby uses it once in a while. He has bad knees from high school football. It doesn't bother him and makes him work up a sweat. Good Luck with your search.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My MIL has a recumbent stationary bike. I don't know if it's the magnetic one or not, but it is very quiet and gives a pretty good workout. I know about the pain of knee problems. Swimming is always the preferred exercise in that situation, but if a YMCA membership isn't an option, I would probably go with a recumbent. Although, if you looked at places online, you might find an eliptical for the same price! (I like elipticals better, probably because I don't get to use them very often!)

Good luck!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I bought a Gazelle Elite from Craigslist.org for $30. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Of your options, I recommend a stationary bike. I got a fan resistance stationary bike that also works arms for $40 from someone on Craigslist. It works very well and so far it's keeping up with me because I can increase the intensity by pedaling faster/harder. When I first got it I could stay on it for 7 minutes until I felt like I was going to die. Last night I rode for 90. :smile: One thing about my fan bike, though, is that it's pretty loud. Your husband couldn't watch TV in the same room with you without headphones.

I don't recommend the Gazelle at all. I have one and my feet cramp up/go to sleep. Apparently a lot of people have the same problem and it makes it nearly impossible to use after about 10-15 minutes.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    if you're dead set on getting a piece of equipment, go get a free week trial at a nearby gym and try out all of the machines, that way you'll know which one you like. What others like, you may not. For instance, most people seem to love the elliptical, I HATE it. However before you spend the cash on a machine, do you get bored easily? I spent 80 bucks last winter on a bike trainer (so I can ride my bike indoors)....yeah I did use it last winter because I had no choice, but it was very boring. This winter I have used it three times I think. Even with an ipod, even while watching Tv, it's so boring and I'd almost rather do anything else than use it.

MY suggestion is, use the 150 to join a gym. Do you have a planet fitness nearby? I just signed up for $1 down and 10/month....that 150 would pay for a year and 3 months of a membership and you could use ALL of the equipment and in an environment that I think makes working out less boring.

Good luck on whatever you choose!
  • Roschelle
    Options
    I would totally buy an elliptical. I have one and they kick butt in the calorie burning department! You would burn twice as many calories with an elliptical then a stationary bike, maybe even three times more. An hour burns 800 plus calories!!
  • kathrynp45
    kathrynp45 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would buy a rebounder at Sports Authority ($69.00) and a 10 lb kettleweight ($25.00) and see if you could get a deal on the Urban Rebounder tapes online. I have owned tons of equipment but these are very effective, take up a small space and you can get a great workout.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I would totally buy an elliptical. I have one and they kick butt in the calorie burning department! You would burn twice as many calories with an elliptical then a stationary bike, maybe even three times more. An hour burns 800 plus calories!!

Nuh uh. How many calories you burn on a bike COMPLETELY depends on how vigorously you ride the bike. :wink: I'm pretty big, but I burned over 1200 calories in 90 minutes on my stationary bike last night (so says my HRM). I'd say I was putting forth moderate effort. I would've burned even more if I had given it more effort. I may have burned a little more on an elliptical, but definitely not 2-3x more. No way. A couple hundred calories more over 90 minutes at best.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I would invest in the gym membership, especially if your dear husband will watch the kids! If you have the membership you can use ANY cardio machine and use ANY weight machine/ free weights, take classes, swim and you can ask most people in there HOW to use them! Also a good heart rate monitor is a must! I used a MIO for the past year and wanted to upgrade to a Polar F11, well I found out my MIO was lying, I did NOT burn as much as it said!! If you have a friend or friends that use different gyms have them take you as a guest and they can introduce you to the fitness world!! Go for it!!!!!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    id buy a POLAR heart rate monitor and save the rest for some good running shoes

:flowerforyou:

The original poster said LOW IMPACT and mentioned knee and ankle issues. I don't think running is wise. Walking might be an option.

I agree with those who suggested getting a visitor or guest pass at a gym so you can find out what equipment you like. I have a gazelle because I hate to walk out in the cold. It is quiet and can be used while watching tv. I don't have any problem with my feet falling asleep and it is easy on my knees, but everyone is different. I don't have any personal familiarity with the Wii or Wii fit add on, but a lot of people seem to like them.

Good luck to you in making your decision.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Wow, as always, great feedback from MFP users.... thank you for all the fantastic suggestions and ideas!!!!! Now, to make the decision with all the input you've given me.... :happy: