Take Measurments, stop listening to the scale!! (with pics)

Options
I am in no way done with my journey, I have approx 30-35lbs to go until I'm at my goal weight and about 15 to hit a healthy bmi number. I restarted this journey after two months ago after losing 50lbs and process halted. In the past two months I've lost 12lbs and most recently last month I only lost 6. I didn’t take measurements or pics the first month and that was a HUGE mistake. I just wanted to post this for anyone out there upset or frustrated with their progress scale wise.

On July 19th I made a pact with some other fellow MFP posters to not weigh for a whole month!! It was both exciting and frighten at the same time because I’m a scale addict however it’s been about two weeks and by taking the number out of the equation I have been able to focus on my fitness levels and really pay attention to my nutrition and how things are affecting how I feel and my energy levels. If you are like me and the number would start to drive you insane or make you feel down I would strongly recommend taking pictures and measurements and ditching the scale for a bit (If only a week or two) and I guarantee it will help you to feel a lot better and put the "for life" of this journey into perspective.

Anyway, Here’s some pics just a month difference. The yoga pants I’m wearing are a size small and where extremely tight last month but I'm slowly getting there!! There’s only 5lb difference between the two but soooo many inches.. My bust size has even decreased from 38-36" so please do not just look at the scale, eventually your weight will catch up with your body but give it time and notice the changes that are happening! I feel so much stronger and tighter already :-)

Waitloss-1.jpg

Replies

• allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Great plan. I tried to look at the photos, but it won't come up (even the link didn't work).
  • wstokes28
    wstokes28 Posts: 27
    Options
    Absolutely agree with you. If you only go by what's happening on the scale you will become so discouraged. Very well said.
  • AMC4x4
    AMC4x4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You have to just cut & paste the parts inside the img:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/Lilmissocial/Waitloss.jpg

Lookin' good! I have to tell my wife this. She has a lot less to lose than I do, and I think she was discouraged when she actually gained weight after starting to watch calories so closely and starting the workouts.

Thanks!
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an improvement! Love the pictures!
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I fixed the pics sorry guys, orignally i posted them side by side but it kept cutting off the image so i had to rework them.. anyway trust me its a huge difference even it doesnt seem all that much and i cant wait untill i can work out in just my sports bra!! rawrr lol
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately so many people are fixated on that silly number displayed on the scale. Progress pictures and [accurate] girth measurements are what matter.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    You have to just cut & paste the parts inside the img:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/Lilmissocial/Waitloss.jpg

Lookin' good! I have to tell my wife this. She has a lot less to lose than I do, and I think she was discouraged when she actually gained weight after starting to watch calories so closely and starting the workouts.

Thanks!

You should def. tell her not to focus on the number, as your body gets stronger and tighter the number may not move as fast as you think it should but eventually it will catch up to you.. tell her to take measurments and pics if possible to gadge her progress.. i would also recommend measuring based on a pair of clothing that may fit a bit tight right now, thats what i did with these pants and a pair of shorts i bought.. she will see and feel the difference with out getting discouraged by the number!!
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Excellent progress, my friend!!! Great work, and that's a GREAT approach! Battery is dying in my scale, so I just may forget to buy replacement ones!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am feeling this post today! I have been losing steadily every week until I weigh-in this morning and found I gained one pound instead of losing. But, I grabbed my soft measure tape and found that I lost an inch in my waist and calves, and a half inch on my hips and thighs. I felt better. :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • AMC4x4
    AMC4x4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You should def. tell her not to focus on the number, as your body gets stronger and tighter the number may not move as fast as you think it should but eventually it will catch up to you.. tell her to take measurments and pics if possible to gadge her progress.. i would also recommend measuring based on a pair of clothing that may fit a bit tight right now, thats what i did with these pants and a pair of shorts i bought.. she will see and feel the difference with out getting discouraged by the number!!

I will let her know!! Great ideas!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Awesome job, you're doing amazing!