Food before workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• AMC4x4
    AMC4x4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are just getting started with the Power 90 DVDs. We're two weeks in. We exercise late, around 10-10:30pm. For a while, I wasn't eating anything after dinner, and I was just gassed by the workouts. Well, ok, we are just starting, so I expected to be a little tired, but the workouts were tough.

For the last two nights, I've had a Shakeology (greenberry, with some blackberries, raspberries and blueberries thrown in) about an hour before we exercise. I don't think it's a coincidence that I pretty much had two of my best workouts in the last two nights. I just felt more like I was "ready" to exercise, like I had enough energy to get through the program.

I'm sure having a protein drink of any kind would have helped as well, but this is working for me so I'm sticking with it. Some of the articles I read said to lose weight, exercise while fasting. I guess I'm just not someone that can do that. I'd rather feel good about working out. At least, that has been my experience.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Usually 2 poached eggs, a sandwich thin, coffee, and OJ50.
  • ForgoFood
    ForgoFood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mmm. Peanut and banana sandwich is a favorite pre-workout breakfast of mine, along with 16 oz water and 8 oz unsweetened almond milk.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The way the question is worded makes it a trick question. Your pre/post workout dietary needs are night and day different if you are just doing cardio/aerobics or if you doing resistance training. Your body's primary energy source is fatty acids for cardio. If you are going to do resistance, your muscles needs glucose (from carbs) for energy and amino acids (from protein) for strength. The windows 2-3 hours before you workout, and up to 90 minutes after your workout is referred to as your recovery window. I wrote blog that discusses the differences.

RECOVERY WINDOW (Aerobic)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Nutrition1st/view/recovery-window-aerobic-294127

RECOVERY WINDOW (Resistance Training)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Nutrition1st/view/recovery-window-resistance-training-294124

HTH
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Nothing, not even water. I wake up at 4:45 am and am on the ellipticle or weights (depending on the day) before 5 am. Just enough time to pee, put my HRM on and shoes.

After my workout there's a shower then a protein shake and 2 glasses of water.
  • abadaba
    abadaba Posts: 44
    Options
    A light snack works for me, unless I had lunch early (I work out late afternoon/early evening).
    I like Trader Joe's Just a handful of Omega trek mix, or 100 calorie almonds pack with 1/2 cup of juice or piece of fruit
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before I work out in the morning on the weekdays (I have a hard enough time waking up early enough at 5:15 to get to the gym, I'm not going to wake up an hour earlier just to try to eat something). However, on the weekends if I make it out to the gym, it's not until a little later, and I usually like to have a little something before I go. A banana or granola bar seem to do the trick for me.

This^^. I wake up at 4:45am to be at the gym by 5am, at work by 8am. No thanks, I would rather workout then eat and not end up having cramps and that sick feeling :) And i'm damn sure not waking up at 3:45!
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    When I workout in the mornings I eat a slice of whole grain toast with a smear of peanut butter on in and have my coffee. I have tried workoing out on a empty stomach and I get queezy and light headed. I only wait about 30-45 min also. But Its not a whole meal maybe about 250 calories total.