Sore right hip. Running or biking the culprit?

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
I suspect it's the running, but not really sure. I've been running since March and am currently half way through a 10K training program. Over the past couple of weeks, my right hip has been just slightly sore. Slight enough, the first time I noticed it I just thought I slept on it funny. I've been biking farther and longer the last couple of week too though. I usually do two days of exercise, one day of rest. I used to do a day of running a day of walking a day of rest but now I've replaced the walking (mostly anyway) with biking. It just seems odd that only my right hip is sore. The left is completely fine. Yesterday, I had my longest run yet at almost 4.4 miles and my hip is sore enough that I've got a little limp. I run and bike in the same spots - asphalt trails with rolling hills at a local metropark.

Advice? Ideas on which exercise it is, or is it both? I'll be taking 2 days off this time, and hopefully it'll feel good enough to get back to exercising after that. If not, I'll take a longer break, but really DON'T want to LOL.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Do you have a foam roller? If not, get one. I'm guessing you've got a tight IT band.

Biking can certainly give you hip problems if there is something out of adjustment. Most people have their seats too low, for example.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you're running on a hard surface, make sure you've got the right shoes.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm six weeks into trocheteric bursitis, and it has been a bit devestating to my workouts. I would look at a diagram of your leg, hip, and knee muscles and decide exactly where the pain is coming from. It is likely your IT band, I've been to the DR. several times and I cannot stress to you how important dynamic stretching before you run (thorough) and static stretching after (thorough) is to your future in running. Increasing your whole body strength is important too ( I neglected this).

I really think if it continues you should consider a Dr. (sports is best) just to rule out anything else. I went from running 33 miles in a week to runnint 1-3 every other day if my hip can hack the pain (under Dr. care). Up until two days ago I was taking three Ibuprofens 3 times daily and now am looking to take something different. Ice is important, and it it better to take care of it early than wait face another hurdle in your fitness and weight loss journey. This injury has been very difficult for me :(
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I suspect it's the running, but not really sure. I've been running since March and am currently half way through a 10K training program. Over the past couple of weeks, my right hip has been just slightly sore. Slight enough, the first time I noticed it I just thought I slept on it funny. I've been biking farther and longer the last couple of week too though. I usually do two days of exercise, one day of rest. I used to do a day of running a day of walking a day of rest but now I've replaced the walking (mostly anyway) with biking. It just seems odd that only my right hip is sore. The left is completely fine. Yesterday, I had my longest run yet at almost 4.4 miles and my hip is sore enough that I've got a little limp. I run and bike in the same spots - asphalt trails with rolling hills at a local metropark.

Advice? Ideas on which exercise it is, or is it both? I'll be taking 2 days off this time, and hopefully it'll feel good enough to get back to exercising after that. If not, I'll take a longer break, but really DON'T want to LOL.

I had the same problem come up in mid July. I finished a 4 mile run. I was stretching and my right hip/hamstring area hurt. 30 minutes later, I am walking with a severe limp. I went to the chiropractor. It was sciatica. I've been mountain biking since then. Stretching exercises have helped immensely. Hoping to be back running by mid August. Hope the two day break helps! Good luck!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Do you have a foam roller? If not, get one. I'm guessing you've got a tight IT band.

Biking can certainly give you hip problems if there is something out of adjustment. Most people have their seats too low, for example.

This

Work on it now before it becomes a real problem. The foam roller hurts like the ****ens but if it does, that means your IT band is causing some problems. The rollers are cheap and worth their weight in gold (and are also great for stretching on).
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Anyone have a link to a foam roller? No idea where to get one. Would sporting goods stores have them?

Hmmm on the sciatica. It's in the front, so doesn't seem like the right area, but I have had issues with that side before with sciatic pain. A couple visits to the chiro fixed it (the only time I've ever been to a chiro - the issue was caused by long bouts of driving).

I am wearing excellent shoes, so I know that's not the issue.

I did just get a new bike. Which I LOVE. I could raise the seat a small amount further I think, so maybe I'll try that too.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a link to a foam roller? No idea where to get one. Would sporting goods stores have them?

Bed Bath and Beyond have them. I got one through Amazon. Good luck!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Omma, try American Home Fitness. They have a number of different sizes of roller as well. Great people. I know you are not too far from them.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Omma, try American Home Fitness. They have a number of different sizes of roller as well. Great people. I know you are not too far from them.

Look at that...I could walk there from work LOL. Thanks!
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options

Hmmm on the sciatica. It's in the front, so doesn't seem like the right area, but I have had issues with that side before with sciatic pain. A couple visits to the chiro fixed it (the only time I've ever been to a chiro - the issue was caused by long bouts of driving).

I did just get a new bike. Which I LOVE. I could raise the seat a small amount further I think, so maybe I'll try that too.

Your bike saddle should be at the height that on the bottom of your down stroke your leg shows a slight bend of about 10 degees with your foot flat on the pedal. If your saddle cannot adjust to that your bike frame is too small for you. Typically riding with the saddle too low causes more problems with the knees rather than the hips. Sounds like a running issue. If you are running on the same side of the trail where it may be lower on the right sde than the mddle, switch sides of the trail and alternate.
  • omma_to_3
    Options

Your bike saddle should be at the height that on the bottom of your down stroke your leg shows a slight bend of about 10 degees with your foot flat on the pedal. If your saddle cannot adjust to that your bike frame is too small for you. Typically riding with the saddle too low causes more problems with the knees rather than the hips. Sounds like a running issue. If you are running on the same side of the trail where it may be lower on the right sde than the mddle, switch sides of the trail and alternate.

Yes, it's likely the running. The bike is definitely not too small for me. At least not for my legs. I have short legs and a long torso. But, it's a medium frame and it was between the medium and small (I'm 5'4" and it's a Specialized Vita).
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have to tell you I read this thread because I have SAME problem! except I don't bike or run, its the elliptical, I usually do it on a level 9 for around 45 minutes a day on average. It started one day and even with rest days it comes back. It is only in my right hip, never the left. It is so bothersome and I am having a hard time with it....I really feel like i just need to stretch it properly but I dont know how to target it.

Anyways, interested to read what others think...
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a sports massage. I get a large knot in my left hip and although painful it does the trick.
    I also use a foam roller for my ITB and also a tennis ball to ease my piriformis.
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When I had hip pain it was diagnosed as fluid in the hip flexor muscle. Physical therapist and doctor said it was from doing too much too fast and not allowing my body to adjust. At that time I was training for a half marathon. And as you point out..mine was only in my right hip as well. Left was perfectly dine
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Why only the right hip? Thats what gets me.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

This

Work on it now before it becomes a real problem. The foam roller hurts like the ****ens but if it does, that means your IT band is causing some problems. The rollers are cheap and worth their weight in gold (and are also great for stretching on).

This! I had to hang up my running shoes last year because of an extremely tight IT band - it started affecting my knees. I got a foam roller and it did help.

This is the one I bought on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Grid-Revolutionary-Foam-Roller-Orange/dp/B0040EKZDY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343671887&sr=8-3&keywords=foam+roller
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I developed left hip pain at about same mileage as you. I think mine was caused by compensating for my right foot (which I had surgery on last year) Anyway, I gave an extra day or rest between runs for the next 4 runs and my pain has gone away... I think it is my body getting used to the mileage and learning how to no longer compensate for the formerly injured foot. You may have been compensating for something or lacking good form. I'd give an extra rest day and try another run- see if you can go 3 miles w/o pain. If so, go back to 4 miles on the next run and reevaluate.

If the pain persists for more than a few more runs, go see your Dr.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Why only the right hip? Thats what gets me.

Odd to me as well. I have always felt a bit out of alignment though, so that could be why. It's possible one leg is slightly shorter than the other which could cause lopsided pain as well.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I developed left hip pain at about same mileage as you. I think mine was caused by compensating for my right foot (which I had surgery on last year) Anyway, I gave an extra day or rest between runs for the next 4 runs and my pain has gone away... I think it is my body getting used to the mileage and learning how to no longer compensate for the formerly injured foot. You may have been compensating for something or lacking good form. I'd give an extra rest day and try another run- see if you can go 3 miles w/o pain. If so, go back to 4 miles on the next run and reevaluate.

If the pain persists for more than a few more runs, go see your Dr.

Thanks! Not a bad training plan.
  • mblampton
    mblampton Posts: 5
    Options

Look at that...I could walk there from work LOL. Thanks!

Field trip tomorrow?