Strength training advice for a complete beginner - help!

Options
I'm 5'3" and 137lbs looking to get down to 130lbs.

At the moment I'm running practically every day, on the last few runs of C25K. I have noticed a difference in how I look from this and have lost a couple of pounds, but obviously the closer I get to goal the harder it is.

The advice given to people in my position on the forums is always to incorporate some kind of strength training/lifting, but I really do not have a clue where to start. I am pretty weak and have only used Barbie sized weights before so the idea of lifting is a bit scary to me! Does anybody have any good links for total beginners/any advice that might help me out. Success stories would be great too!

Saw this link in another thread - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ - is this the sort of thing I should be doing? I was doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred before I started running but with my Barbie weights, so I'm tempted to think doing lunges and push ups isn't 'enough'. Is this sort of stuff going to make a difference or do I need to be lifting?

Thanks in advance, lovely helpful MFPers! x

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    New rules of lifting for woman or the big book of exercise for woman is really helpful when it comes to starting out lifting
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 caters to the new weightlifter. www.stronglifts.com
    You just need access to an olympic weight set, a power rack (or spotters), and a bench.
  • newmrswood
    newmrswood Posts: 194
    Options
    I was the same way, I never had upper body strength. My hubby helped me out with weight lifting. I would start with my little weights and do curls and triceps. He also had me doing bench press, I've gone from benching just the bar to adding 10lbs on each side. It's easier to do weightlifting, personally, if you do it with someone who knows what to do and can correct you on how to do it
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 caters to the new weightlifter. www.stronglifts.com
    You just need access to an olympic weight set, a power rack (or spotters), and a bench.

this
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i almost posted this very same question! i've been doing well on my cardio exercises, but have been reading that incorporating strength training is important. but as a self-confessed weakling, it makes me nervous and i just don't know where to start. i hope someone chimes in with some good advice for us!
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    New rules of lifting for woman or the big book of exercise for woman is really helpful when it comes to starting out lifting

i agree to get the new rules. i loved it but have lifted before so i'll have to adjust it to work for me. but it's highly informative. includes a lot of information about strength training and the point of it. also has routines and pictures

i believe stronglits 5x5 would be too much for a beginner...
  • cmp_denver
    cmp_denver Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You can't get stronger without building muscle (which also helps burn fat). You might want to consider getting a personal trainer - 2 or 3 sessions should be enough to teach you the basics and how to use the gym equipment/weights effectively and safely. Your trainer can give you advice and hints that you can then use on your own. I went to my local rec center, they were a lot cheaper and I liked that the exercises were directly tied to my goals and body (unlike exercise videos - which are good for some, but not for others). After 3 sessions I felt confident enough to use the equipment on my own and was then able to more effectively use the information I found on different exercise websites. Good luck, to all.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I should add that at the moment, I can't afford a gym membership/personal trainer and only have access to my fiance's weights. He doesn't have a ton of equipment but it's all I've got for the moment.

NROLFW sounds great, I've heard it mentioned a lot on the forums so I'll try to get hold of it at some point.

When I say beginner, I really mean it, so I'm unfamiliar with a lot of lifting terms etc.

Thanks again x