Am I naive?

Options
Am I naive in thinking that I could possibly do a half-marathon that's scheduled for Sept 23/12?

I've been a runner for about 5 years and have run 5km, 8km, 16km and 10 mile races. The most recent one, the 10 miler, was a week ago. I trained hard for it and did well.

As a motivational goal, I am thinking about running a half-marathon. I've never run a half before. So I am also wondering if I have what it takes to run a half marathon? I mean it's 13.1 miles people!:noway: Can I do it? And is 8 weeks enough time to train and be properly prepared to run that distance without injury and/or falling flat on my face?.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    if you have run a 10 mile a week ago and did well then I would think another 3 miles is not going to slow you down much :) go for it!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it! 8 weeks is more than enough time. I used the Hal Higdon half marathon plan for my last two! You've got this! Good luck!
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I think You'll do great! Good luck reggie! :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You can do it easily. Next long run go for 13 miles and you'll see.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I recently heard that if you can do a 10k - you can certainly do a half.....
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! If you've already done a 10, you've pretty much trained for the 1/2. You'll be FINE.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first half marathon (6.2.12) 8 weeks out, and had only done 5 miles at that point. I finished at about what I thought I would, and didn't die, but was quite sorry after. I'm anxious to do another!
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You can most definitely do that. 8 weeks is plenty of time.
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You can do it easily. Next long run go for 13 miles and you'll see.

Yep. If you can do 10 miles you can do a half by September. Easy peasy.
  • Elsieblue
    Elsieblue Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree with them ^

In fact, many training plans (particularly for beginners) don't even go above 10 miles - on the basis that excitement/ adrenaline and being rested on the day is enough to get you through the last 5km.

Go on, enter the race - Adding a mile on to your long run each weekend until race day will really help build your confidence.

I'm doing a half marathon on 2nd September. It will be my fourth after running on and off for 4 years. Feel free to add me if you want some support training.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The race you are planing to run should have a training schedule. if not you can use the link below for beginner running training for a 1/2.

I will admin you are cutting the training close. However if you can run 10 miles now then adding 3 more miles over 8 weeks is not that hard of a task. In fact if you can knock out a 10 mile run the week before then the last 3.1 will be an easy task because you are pumped up.

http://www.swranch.org/swhalf/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/2012-Beginner-Runner-Training-Schedule.pdf
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    The rule I've always heard, if you can run 10, you can do 13.

I know many half marathoners that don't do more than 10 before the big day :)
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You can do it. If you just did 10 then a half marathon is definitely doable. Rooting for you all the way!!!!
  • bratleen
    bratleen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you ran 10 miles you most certainly will be able to run a half marathon. I speak from experience here, the longest I had ever run before my first half was 10k. You have already run the distance that is the longest training run in most beginner half training programs.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You are not naive at all. I have never trained for a half with more than 10 miles. If you can do that you are completely fine and ready for the race :-)... I was also in your position where I had planned a half marathon and was only at 10 the weeks coming up to the race and finished without walking/pain or anything. Good luck and enjoy!
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You've got this! Sign up and do it! :happy:
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    You've got this - no problem!!! Just think of this 10 miles as a good training run. You are going to be more than ready for a half !!! Have fun with it!!!!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    If you just did 10 miles you could probably do 13.1 in the next couple of weeks. You have plenty of time, so go for it and enjoy it!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    if you can run 10 miles now, then 13.1 is a breeze! :happy:

My first half I never ran more than 7.5 miles during training due to an injury early on, but I was still able to finish the race.

I say, Go For It! :drinker: