gained 2 pounds first insanity week?

Options
I weigh 115 pounds, give or take, but always averages 115, for several months. i have been jogging 3 miles a day, but decided to switch it up and try insanity. i just finished week 1. no, i did not expect weight loss by now...in fact, i'm not really looking for weight loss i guess, though i do have fat to lose.

why have i been averaging 117 this week?? i'm only averaging 1500 calories a day...that's certainly not enough to gain much muscle.

i've started drinking a protein shake right after my work-out...could that bloat me or cause me to retain water??

sodium???

any ideas? otherwise, i guess i'll just ignore the scale. i just can't figure out why i'd be gaining. it's bugging me.

Replies

• BeantownSooner
    Options
    Just ignore it for a couple of weeks. As it's form of exercise, your muscles are being trained differently than they have been in the past. If you feel any soreness/tightness in your muscles this is telling you that your body is absorbing water to protect and repair all of the little micro tears from the exercise. Continue to consume lots of water and eventually your body will see this as a familiar occurrence and will release the retained water.

Most threads on Insanity (and P90X for that matter) will advise to just stay with it as it's normal.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    thank you!!!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    It's a good chance it's water filling into the muscles to repair them. Remember a gallon of water weighs around 8lbs. So even if you only have an 1/8th to a 1/4th of that you can add in some pounds.
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Great new program!

Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. You can take say a b4 pic of you @ 115lbs and an after pic of you weighing 125lbs and when you build muscle the higher weight one will look slimmer and fitter(regardless of scale#). Your lean muscle mass has increased while you BF% has decreased. The scale lies, remember that!

Insanity is a wonderful program. Pay attention to how your clothes feel/fit and what you look like...avoid the scale. You will be happy with your results!!

Best of luck! :drinker:
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    did you try taking a poop? helps with me.
  • ChiFortunate1
    ChiFortunate1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 pounds my first week of P90X-Lean. Then I lost 3 pounds in the second week, and have been steadily dropping an average of 2 pounds per week. Don't worry, your body had a :wink: WTF?!?! :wink: Moment, LOL!!!
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    It's a good chance it's water filling into the muscles to repair them. Remember a gallon of water weighs around 8lbs. So even if you only have an 1/8th to a 1/4th of that you can add in some pounds.

^^^ What he said. If you are sore, you are inflamed. Your muscle cells don't puff up on air. The do it with water.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    It's probably nothing more than water retention, because your body uses water to repair your fatigued muscles. I always weigh more after I exercise, regardless of how much I sweat. It's normal, and the weight will come off as quickly as it came.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Great new program!

Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. You can take say a b4 pic of you @ 115lbs and an after pic of you weighing 125lbs and when you build muscle the higher weight one will look slimmer and fitter(regardless of scale#). Your lean muscle mass has increased while you BF% has decreased. The scale lies, remember that!

Insanity is a wonderful program. Pay attention to how your clothes feel/fit and what you look like...avoid the scale. You will be happy with your results!!

Wait....What? Muscle weighs more than fat? I might have to start a new thread about this!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Great new program!

Wait....What? Muscle weighs more than fat? I might have to start a new thread about this!

3prvix.jpg
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    that's what happened to me too. you are probably retaining water, something called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) tends to happn . it's weird, i gained at first and then lost it.
  • Juliechilli
    Juliechilli Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I began running (heavily) for me last week and really fatigued my muscles. I had a 'cheat' day on my weekend vacation but otherwise I've haven't been eating too badly. I noticed a 2 pound gain in the last couple of days which brings me to an all-time high weight. I'm hoping that this is also 'water retention'? and if so, how long does this last? This is my third week of exercising 5x per week...
  • freemoney45
    freemoney45 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think muscle weighs 1.1 pounds and fat only weighs 1 pound lol.....I think the correct terminology would be that muscle is more dense than fat. Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? I'd choose bricks!!

I can also say that my weight goes up roughly 2-3lbs when my muscles are really sore. But as soon as the soreness is gone my weight drops back down.
  • Determinedgirl02
    Options
    I'm new on here and am finding some pretty awesome info. Thanks for posting!:wink:
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I began running (heavily) for me last week and really fatigued my muscles. I had a 'cheat' day on my weekend vacation but otherwise I've haven't been eating too badly. I noticed a 2 pound gain in the last couple of days which brings me to an all-time high weight. I'm hoping that this is also 'water retention'? and if so, how long does this last? This is my third week of exercising 5x per week...

Don't go by the scale. Go by BF% and measurements. If you are working out the scale can be especially frustrating.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your advice!! :)