More BMR/TDEE confusion here.

Options
Hi guys,

I realize I am one of the many who seems to be very confused about the BMR/TDEE stuff. Right now, I am mostly going by what MFP is telling me, but it's been slow going (granted I've only been at it a little over two weeks) ... I just want to make sure I'm on the right track and I'm not eating too little.

I'm 28 years old, 5'8, and 269. I go to the gym at least 4 times a week, and have also started doing the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred every second day of the week.

Right now, MFP is telling me to eat a little over 1700 calories, and I do. I don't usually eat my exercise calories back unless I'm very hungry.

Am I doing what I'm supposed to be doing? Is 1700 to low?

My BMR is 2,000 and my TDEE is 3113.

I've read that I should technically ALWAYS be eating over my BMR. Is that correct? Am I sabotaging myself by not eating enough?

My diary is open and I'd love to get some advice, as I'm totally confused!

Replies

• bailuna
    bailuna Posts: 56
    Options
    Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

:)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Where did you get those numbers? MFP did not calculate your TDEE at 3113 and then give you a goal of 1700. The fastest weight loss rate that will automatically calculate is 2 pounds per week, or TDEE minus 1000.
  • bailuna
    Options
    Where did you get those numbers? MFP did not calculate your TDEE at 3113 and then give you a goal of 1700. The fastest weight loss rate that will automatically calculate is 2 pounds per week, or TDEE minus 1000.

What numbers? The TDEE? I got it from fitnessfrog.com.

I have my activity level on MFP set to lightly active, maybe it should be active?

On the TDEE calculator, I put moderate (exercise 3-5 days a week)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

What numbers? The TDEE? I got it from fitnessfrog.com.

I have my activity level on MFP set to lightly active, maybe it should be active?

On the TDEE calculator, I put moderate (exercise 3-5 days a week)

The confusion is that MFP's activity levels do NOT include exercise, and as such, BMR x the multiplier for the activity level is NOT the same as TDEE sites.

Lightly Active is probably right, 2lbs a week is right, and eating back your exercise calories to keep your 2lb weekly deficit is right.

But you cannot set MFP to an activity level that includes exercise, get a deficit, and not eat back exercise calories the same way.

If you do the exercise, both methods work out the same way about.
    If you find yourself skipping workouts, TDEE method would have you eating more, MFP would only have you eating more when your really did the workout.

Use the spreadsheet referenced here, and decide which is more motivating.
    Planning on exercising say 4-5 hrs weekly, eating to that level of activity, and knowing you better do the workouts.
    Or eating only when you actually do the workouts, which means the amount you eat each day changes.

If the former, use the BMR/TDEE tab and biggest deficit, if the latter, use the MFP Tweak tab.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/677905-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calc-macro-calc-hrm

This way you can save your stats for 5lb loss down the road.
  • Sooze_1975
    Sooze_1975 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    HI there!
    I just recently went thrus this whole thing myself. I am 37, 5'3 and started at 250 lbs. For the first almost 3 months I was unintentionally eating under my NET calorie goal of 1700 and I was working out regularly doing both strength and cardio. I lost 7 lbs, but in my mind it should have been more with the amount of excercise I was doing and the fact that I was tracking everything and sticking UNDER my calorie goal. After sitting and figuring out my numbers, plus talking to my trainer we figured out that I was eating way too less. I have since upped my calories and feel much better, plus have lost an addtional 4 lbs. I know that everyone is different and I am certainly no expert in this field. I would suggest tho that working out a lot and not eating at least your NET calorie goal for the day could cause a slow down in weight loss, based soley on my own experience. I now weigh 239 :smile:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I never understand why people do this. You use a totally different website which figures things in a different way, and then you''re confused when it doesn't match up with this one.
  • bailuna
    Options
    I never understand why people do this. You use a totally different website which figures things in a different way, and then you''re confused when it doesn't match up with this one.

Well, like I said, I'm new. I didn't know that MFP calculated my TDEE. Before I signed up here, I had no idea what TDEE even was. So excuse my ignorance. That would be why I ask questions, to learn if I'm doing something incorrectly or inefficiently.

Thank you to those who replied without the attitude. :) I appreciate the answers.