Having company (family) over Saturday-dinner

Options
saustin201
saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
Okay, I have some family coming over on Saturday for dinner. All of them know I am on a lifestyle change so making healthy food is fine. All of them eat salad.

Any idea's on main course? Usually the hubby and I eat tilapia, salmon, chicken with salad and veggies.

I was thinking of making:
fish (everyone in my fam likes fish)
corn on the cob
baked potato
mixed green salad with various dressings

Any other idea's.

Thanks.

Replies

• jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think that your idea sounds great! I'll be there at 7. :)
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Grill the fish, it brings on a whole new set of flavors, and while you're grilling the fish, take some sweet white onions, slice them about 1/2" thick, drizzle them in balsamic vinegar and grill those too. The calorie count is very diet friendly and it makes such a lovely counterpoint to the fish.

Berries are in season right now, how about some berries with fat free whipped cream for dessert?
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    sounds great!
  • cylima
    cylima Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Depending where you live and if it is too hot to turn your oven on, a favorite in my family is roasted broccoli! Basically I use the broccoli crowns and cut them into bite size pieces, add some sliced garlic, salt and pepper then toss is a very little olive oil and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Take them out and turn them over with a spatula and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes. My family likes them crunchy on one side!!
  • kattylea
    kattylea Posts: 2
    Options
    mmm! that dinner sounds good.

i'm late on the uptake for this one, but if you're looking for a different way to cook salmon, how about salmon-in-a-bag (classy, right?)

on a large piece of tin foil, i curl up the side to make a boat, lay a salmon fillet over a bed of veg (green beans work really well... you can use asparagus, or sometimes i'll throw in diced potatoes!). make a "sauce" (e.g. 1/4 c white wine, garlic, herbs OR 1/4 lime juice, minced chili peppers, cilantro, garlic, lots of pepper) and pour it onto the fish. lay another piece of tin foil on top, seal it really well around the edges, and then either put it on a baking sheet and bake, or barbecue it alongside roasted peppers, zucchini, etc...

if you are serving many ppl you might want to make 2 or 3 "envelopes" so that the fish will cook more quickly. the nice thing is, the fish stays so moist! serve by itself, with roasted veg, or wild rice... sometimes i'll make a greek yoghurt/dill sauce if i'm feeling fancy.

i love it! just wanted to share! there are tons of "salmon-in-a-bag" recipes online... i just tend to go with whatever i have on hand.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll grill the salmon or tilapia and roast some mixed summer veggies: asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers and make corn on the cob with a mixed green salad.

I've been cleaning all day. I clean regularly, but my house just needed a good scrub.