P90X2 v P90X v. Les Mills Pump

Options
So I've done P90X and I liked it but I did get a but tired of doing the same workouts and Tony's jokes.

I want to choose a new Beachbody program for the fall. I'm considering P90X2 and Les Mills Pump.

Can anyone share their experiences with these programs and how they compare to each other? I'm looking to solidify and build on recent strength gains in both upper and lower body. Running will by my primary cardio.

Thanks!

Replies

• beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Options
    You're probably going to get a lot of.negative response about P90X2 but I love it! (Disclaimer- I'm on phase 1 and plan to stay here for quite a while)I had a lot of side to side imbalances and was looking for a focus on core strengthening and stability. Found it! It is incredibly challenging, but completely different from P90X Tony still has corny jokes, but I still laugh!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    +1 for P90X2

All the negative stuff about X2 I've seen has to do with the first Phase. Mostly from people who did the workouts once, didn't get the moves down properly so didn't get to the stage where they could up the weight and push themselves. If you commit to it properly, it's 10 times the workout P90X is. Once you get to the second or third week. Like the last poster, I stayed in phase I for 6 weeks (I wouldn't let myself move on until I had those lolasanas down!)

I've done the X a few times, but I'll probably never go back (at least not for a while).

I haven't done Les Mills, so not qualified to comment on it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Oh forgot to add that you need all the equipment to make it worthwhile, so this may be a drawback for some people. Without the extra stuff like med balls and stab balls, then it's not going to be the same kind of beast.....
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Less Mills Pump but I have done P90X2. I loved X2. I have heard people also say that it was not as hard or not challenging enough, but I found it very challenging, due to the balance challenge involved. I loved the addition of the medicine balls to do the pushups. It gives you a huge burn after you are done. I also loved the new pullups. Pretty much loved the variety and new challenge. Its not a major muscle builder program, and I believe Tony mentions it, but it is a great program to add to your workout library.

Less Mills Pump I am not sure about but I think its more of a cardio based weight liting? Like higher reps, lower weights? Not sure. But you can always check out the videos they have on their site and get a bit more info on it.

Good luck!!

Maria
  • jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have not done Les Mills, but a few people in my challenge group have and they LOVE it! I am looking forward to ordering that one on the future. You may also want to look into the new one called Body Beast if you want to bulk up.
  • tristanathan
    Options
    I'm currently working on Insanity. I've only finished week 1 and it's kicking my butt. But, I'm also already noticing some changes. It's worth a try and you don't need any equipment for it either as you do with P90X and P90X2.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I do Body Pump at my gym--they offer it as a class. I love it. I don't know how it cost to do it on your own, but I love it because it's strength training, but you still get good cardio out of it.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Also, Les Mills Pump is all barbell work. My only hangup is that my lower body is much stronger than my upper so even though I can squat over 100lbs I can only bicep curl like 25lbs lol. Changing the plates may be a pain for Les Mills. I'm in my first round of P90X and not sure where I'm gonna go from here. I have gotten used to using dumb bells so not sure I would love all barbell work...
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I do Les Mills pump at the gym and LOVE it! It's quite different than P90X -- not as much of a cardio aspect and the routines don't change very much. But it's been great way for me to get into weight training with excellent guidance. I say cycle through each program if you can -- the body loves to be kept guessing!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I have not done Les Mills, but a few people in my challenge group have and they LOVE it! I am looking forward to ordering that one on the future. You may also want to look into the new one called Body Beast if you want to bulk up.

I have one friend doing Body Beast and she loves it but I haven't heard too many other reviews on it...
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I do the Les Mills Body Pump at the gym. I like it, I work up a good sweat and my body is dead tired afterwards. It's lots of repetitions at whatever weights you can tolerate.
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm going to toss Tony Horton One on One into the mix...

I'm a 4 year grad of X and have had great results. I was looking for something more challenging so I picked up One on One and it's been fantastic. The jokes are the WORST and I laugh out loud even after hearing them a bunch of times. (Other One on One'ers will laugh along at JOE...PETRI...DISH!)

My current routine goes a little like this:

M - Thirty Fifteen (this will kick your buttox)
    T - Insanity
    W - Just Arms (Biceps, Forearms, Triceps)
    Th - Insanity
    F - Diamond Delts
    S - Insanity

There are some great cardio workouts in One on One but I prefer Insanity....

I run every morning as well...my legs get their work then.

Warning: The director, Mason, chats with Tony during the workouts and I have to block him out...great producer...but annoying as all get out.

Watch some of the promos on YouTube...

Friend me if you'd like to be pushed.

Chris
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    I haven't really gone through P90X myself so don't want to comment on it. I will say that I hear great things about it and see some awesome success stories. But, the peeps who have done it can tell you better.
    As for Body Pump - I did it for a year, 2-3 times a week in addition to other work outs, and had absolutely no results, watched people getting injured on a regular basis because there is no real focus on form. I would never recommend it. If you are looking for straight weights, which is what Pump is, scratch the thought of Pump and get in the gym and hit the weights, where you can go heavy and less reps. No one needs to do that many reps for each muscle group as Pump has you doing. Its good for someone who is just looking to move around and can't get motivated on their own and keeps the weights very, very low.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    I just re-read your post and would add to this that, if running is your primary cardio, and you are looking to build more strength, why use a program at all? Why not just hit the weight room?
  • instructor03
    instructor03 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have never done P90X so I don't have feedback on that. I am a LesMills BodyPump instructor. I have seen results on my own body as well as others. There is a risk of injury with any workout, whether instructor led or done solo. I have seen people in the weight room with awful form because they were never taught the proper way to execute the exercise. If there is a gym with LesMills near you, I would suggest getting a free pass (most gyms do that) and take a class. It is a class of endurance training with cardio components. I personally love it and even though the choreography is similar with each release, intensity and music changes. For example, they may lengthen or shorten the time spent on a particular muscle group. This allows the participant to adjust the weights to lighter for longer or heavier for shorter. Do what works for you!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Haven't done Pump - but LOVE X2 for the balance, stability and core. I like that it has no cardio in the program, and is easy to incorporate into running. I like that it is Phases - and you don't move on to the next phase until you are totally comfortable with the first phase. This means that you may take more than 90 days to complete the program.

I like X2 for the Phase 1, would do it forever. Phase 2 is similar to P90X, strength training - and Phase 3, is pretty intense. I agree with the statement that I didn't think it was as "hard" as the first P90X.. but then again, I'd already DONE that.

My complaint with P90X2 as a runner, I want to build muscle endurance. Lots of reps, lower weights, just wear my muscles to constant exhaustion. I couldn't really do that with X2 and felt like I was needing to always lift heavier. As a runner, I had to decide what I wanted best for my body, with my age, current strength and ability - the more reps lower weight is really what "I" personally desire for me. I still use weights that are probably heavier than some would consider lighter .

Have you considered Brazil Butt Lift - this is my GO TO program for running at the present time. After being in Physical Therapy for knee pain and being prescribed hip strengthening exercises. I found that BBL was not as boring as the PT exercises, was more targeting, and could always be pushed harder by heavier weights, deeper squats and lunger, using greater range of motion. BBL has a cardio program (which I rarely do), the classic Squat and Lunge routine, a resistance band/ankle weight routine, a super ab workout called Tummy Tuck and an upper body strength, with cardio and balance movements called sculpt. I did Sculpt with 20's the other day, dang near killed me :) But it goes slow enough that form is important and the instructor is very very good at telling you those little small things like foot angle or what muscles you are working, which I think gets missed in P90X2.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    These are all really great THANKS SO MUCH! I do think about just doing the weights but I really need help with form and I was hoping Les Mills might provide that but a video is never as good as a live instructor who is skilled of course.

Brazil Butt Lift is a great suggestion I have considered that many times but you are one of only a few people I know who have been happy with their results.

Really interested to hear how many people liked P90X 2. So do people feel it is more focused on core and balance than on building muscle?

Thanks all!
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Options
    These are all really great THANKS SO MUCH! I do think about just doing the weights but I really need help with form and I was hoping Les Mills might provide that but a video is never as good as a live instructor who is skilled of course.

Brazil Butt Lift is a great suggestion I have considered that many times but you are one of only a few people I know who have been happy with their results.

Really interested to hear how many people liked P90X 2. So do people feel it is more focused on core and balance than on building muscle?

Thanks all!

Wendy, I agree with the BBL rating. I also don't use the cardio workouts but High & Tight is an awesome workout for hitting some of those often missed leg and glutes muscles. Tummy Tuck is also terrific but I'm not using it right now as Jeff has me foo.g so much core work.
    I'm putting High & Tight into my marathon training program this week.
    Yes, I would say X2 is certainly more core and balance focused, which with your chronic leg injury might be exactly what you need ;)
  • ROTC13
    ROTC13 Posts: 2
    Options
    have you tried insanity? I did it last summer and lost about 20 lbs!! Trying to get back in shape and loose more weight!!
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    Based on your pics, it looks like you have developed a decent amount of muscle. If you go to or continue cardio based weight training, you will not progress in that area.
    I think the question here is ultimately, what is your goal with your weight training? I am currently training for a marathon and so running is 99.9% of my cardio (I also teach Spin) and I go to the gym for weight training, mostly upper body, glutes, and abs/core, to balance out my body and stabilize so as to avoid injury, and maintain muscle.