I was the last runner to cross the finish line...

Options
...and I couldn't be happier!

I ran a 10 mile road race on Saturday. It's a small race (about 38 people ran this year), which is run on a beautiful country road outside my hometown. I ran this race last year and enjoyed the scenery and the "smallness" of the race so much, I decided to do it again this year.

I knew I was close to last (with the only one person behind me, who was walking the course) and have to admit I was pretty upset for awhile. Then I passed the four mile marker and calculated my pace in my head. I realized I was really cruising compared to last year. So I continue on, focusing on the scenery, waving to the runners headed back (it was an out and back style course), and enjoyed the sounds of the quiet country road.

So yes, I was the last runner (and second to last entrant) to cross the finish line. But I finished in 1:47:02.... taking nearly 16 minutes off last year's finishing time. I couldn't be happier! So what if I was "slow" compared to the other runners, I don't run for them, I run for me. :drinker:

Replies

• Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You were still out there and it sounds like you were enjoying the day. And an improvement against last year's time is great.

:flowerforyou:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Great attitude! And congrats!! Sounds like a great day!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That's FABULOUS!!! I'm so envious! I am not yet up to ten miles. Not sure I ever will be. But it's my ultimate goal. Great job!
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I love this. Awesome job!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You crossed the finish line.

That's completely awesome. Bonus awesome for shaving time off last year's run!
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Congrats--- feels so good to finish!
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. In 2005, I walked the Cincinnati Turkey Trot....10K. There were more than 11,000 entrants and I came in DEAD LAST. I finished, but I wasn't sure I would. I was at my highest weight, ever. I swore that day that I'd never come in dead last again and the next year there were 13,000 entrants and I came in the top 50%.

Now, I gained a lot of the weight I had lost back. But I'm committed to doing this year again.

Congratulations on your success!!!!
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wow that's fantastic I would love to be up to ten miles, hopefully I can get by Christmas.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! Great attitude to have.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Congrats! you still beat all the paople who were sitting on the couch
  • boys4girls1
    Options
    How wonderful. That is so very inspirational. You crossed the finish line, and that is all that matters. Way to go.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Yay!!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Crossed the finish line while in a vertical position and knocked 16 minutes of last year's time.......sounds like a great day to me! Congratulations!
  • ChelleFeegan
    ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Excellent - this is a massive achievement :-)
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Awesome, and love your spirt for the race.... and congrats on beating your time ffrom last year
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Thats my idea of an awesome NSV! And you weren't last, because you're way ahead of me and anybody else that spent Saturday and Sunday on the couch. GREAT JOB!!!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I cannot tell you how much I love this story.

I've finished last twice. And yes it's easy to see the "last" part of the sentence. But the truth is, it's much MUCH more about the "finished" part of it. And the fact that you PR'd? That's just gravy on the goose!

You are amazing. Congratulations on your finish. And thanks for sharing your awesome story.

YOU ROCK!!!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You did it, that's what matters! Fantastic attitude and congrats to you!!
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I commend you even for just finishing. If I had to run 10 miles, I would die. :laugh: