Exercise calories?!?!?

Options
Ok, I understand that we are suppose to eat our exercise calories. Got it , understand it BUT I go to the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays, because of scheduling picking up the boys with my husband that is how it works out, but anyway, when I finally get home, I am usually at the gym for 2 1/2 to 3 hours after work, so it is late when I get home. Last Thursday, I had 912 calories left at 9:00 p.m. SO my question is, if I have that many left on those two days, how am I to eat the extra? They are not always that many left but still quite a few left, when do I eat them, can they be "left overs" so to speak? I really need help with this! Thanks!

Rhonda

Replies

• twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    Ok, I understand that we are suppose to eat our exercise calories. Got it , understand it BUT I go to the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays, because of scheduling picking up the boys with my husband that is how it works out, but anyway, when I finally get home, I am usually at the gym for 2 1/2 to 3 hours after work, so it is late when I get home. Last Thursday, I had 912 calories left at 9:00 p.m. SO my question is, if I have that many left on those two days, how am I to eat the extra? They are not always that many left but still quite a few left, when do I eat them, can they be "left overs" so to speak? I really need help with this! Thanks!

Rhonda
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    if it's that late I would just work on eating those extra calories the next day. Your body doesn't know it's the next day... it's not like our bodies reset every day so you can have some extra the next day instead. :tongue:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I always pre-plan workouts. So if I know that I am working out longer on certain days it's calculated in right off the bat. So I end up having more snacks or add things to meals cause I know I have a "stockpile" to use that day. No one says you have to eat those calories AFTER you work out....did they?

Make a smoothie or something...you can whack out a lot of calories in one of those bad boys.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    It would be better to eat them earlier during the day. If you know you are going to the gym add some extra calories to each meal. Try to eat that way the amount you typically burn or just the minimal amount you hope to burn that day. Than you'll be left with fewer calories in the evening and you can have a glass of milk/juice/chocolate or a snack. If not you can eat some of them next day.
    Some people say that we should consume same amount of calories (not NET calories) each day and what matters is average for ex. a week. That way you eat the same but burn different amount of calories each day and have different net calories. You can try to combine these two approaches. What I do sometimes is increase net calories a little when I don't exercise (I'm hungry those days, hehe) and decrease a bit when I'm working out. It's not more than 200cals though.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I agree....on the days you're going to the gym, try eating more calories throughout the day...it'll give you the boost you need fro your workout and help you get in those exercise cals....if you usually average to burn between say 700 and 900, try to get in 600 extra before and have a yogurt or banana after!
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    Thanks for your ideas! I thought I was eating more on those days but last week when I saw 900+, I guess not. I like the smoothie idea! YUMMY:drinker: