New and would LOVE friends

Hi, I am new to MFP and only just saw this amazing community!

I am 47 and before I found this wonderful site I had the classic AHA Moment on 5/31/12.
I woke up that morning and said "I AM WORTH IT!!" I have struggled with weight my whole
married life(22 years) and have struggled with depression for years. My focus has been husband
and kids. Well, it's time to focus on ME! And the family is thrilled to see my change as well.

When this change hit me I was never more committed to losing weight and exercising than
ever before. I was scared and excited all at once!
At my heaviest I hit 270, and I am 5'5". I have lost to date 45 pounds! And now 2 more just
since using MFP. WooHoo!

I started with walking, and it was sad at first. But, quickly my half mile turned into 2 miles. I am now
working on passing 4 miles and have incorporated short bursts of jogging into my walks. My goal is
to run in a half marathon next June. I also joined a Gym about 5-6 weeks ago. My first time ever!
I average 4-5 days a week at the gym and try to walk that many days as well.

I live in a rural community and have no real workout pals here, so any friends/support I can gain through
this forum would be most appreciated!

Replies

• TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Feel free to add me. I'm 48 and looking to lose a significant amount of weight. I'm down 19 already.
  • I would love to be friends! I am 27 and just about to be married. Though I would love to lose some weight and look / be healthier for the wedding, my real motivations and reasons are much more than that. It is time to turn things around!
  • otjda63
    otjda63 Posts: 2
    Wow! This is a busy place! Nice to meet you - I'm Julie, and it's my first day, too. I'm in my late 40's, too, but have not had weight issues until the last 6 years. It all started with the bags of prednisone they were hanging with my chemo drugs. Long story short, I am cancer free and healthy, except for this gut I'm dragging around. I feel like a toad.
    Hope that we can be friends - and the invite goes out to anyone else who answers your post.
  • TMF1123
    TMF1123 Posts: 71 Member
    hi - i'd love to support you on your journey - friend request sent.
  • Chrysy87
    Chrysy87 Posts: 56 Member
    Feel free to add me as well. :D I am just starting back into running. One month in and planning to run a 10k in September/October and hopefully a half marathon next summer.
  • Yea YOU!! It's so rewarding to see the weight come off! When I stepped on the scale and was down those
    first 20 pounds I was ecstatic! Now I am at 47 pounds lost and have SO far to go, but I feel it with every once
    of my being that anything is possible! I started out just wanting to get 'under' that 200 mark into the 100's!
    Now, it's more than that!
  • Welcome :) I'm a newbie here too! Anyone can feel free to add me :D I'm 19 and have 60 pounds to lose!!! Good luck to everyone on their weight loss!!! :D
  • Hey! I am fairly new on here too, love supporting others and also require support myself. Feel free to add me and we can support each other through this. MFP is amazing for support, the friends are really the ones that keep you positive, even when you don't feel that you have done all that well. I hope you reach your goals and again, please do feel free to add me.
  • kazoooo8
    kazoooo8 Posts: 71
    You sound so much like me!! I'm 48 and would love to get back to jogging but kept thinking I'm getting to old or I'm too heavy. You have alread inspired me to try!! Thank you!!
  • 2delicio
    2delicio Posts: 9 Member
    Like many of you, I am new to MFP too. I lost a lot of weight years ago, but due to a tumultuos marriage - and recent divorce, my weight has gone back up to 270. I never thought I would see those numbers again, but they creep up when you're not paying attention. I am 58, and have discovered that it is not going to be as easy to lose as it was last time. It is harder at this age, post menopause. And with all the aches and pains that come with this age bracket, exercising is going to be a challenge. I just put out a shout out to anyone in my area of Hobart IN for a walking partner. I think that is where I am going to have to start. So if anyone my around my age would like to add me as a buddy for support and comparisons, feel free!
  • lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    fantastic Job on the loss!!!
  • 2delicio
    2delicio Posts: 9 Member
    Hi Shelli, where do you live? Funny you started out where I am now 270. I have a long road ahead of me.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Hi! You can add me if you like! I'm here several times a day! I go through phases with how much I comment on things but I try...

Feel free to add me or ask any questions...same goes!
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    feel free to add me for support, but a little fyi don't confuse loose or lose, you will understand in about 10 minutes when someone brings it up again. Just kidding welcome aboard
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    You are doing great. yes start walking to warm up your legs and then jog till you are tired, then walk again then jog and keep it up. It won't be long till you realize that you are jogging a lot more than walking. Don't overdue it though and get burned out. Like they say it isn't a sprint in a long marathon.
    My sister in law who is about 5'1 works at a hospital, acually she is a VP. She got into their weight loss program and they told her to stay on 1200 calories and 80 grams of protein a day. The protein helps burn fat faster. Meijers sell a protein powder that sells for like $15 and will lsat more than a month. It gives you 35 grams. Incidentally she lost 75 lbs in 4 months and she doesn't excersize.

Add me to your friend list and keep in touch!!

Basil
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    I woke up that morning and said "I AM WORTH IT!!" I have struggled with weight my whole
    married life(22 years) and have struggled with depression for years.

I can personally attest to the value of diet and exercise in lessening depression. You will get lots of advice and much of it will be bad and conflict with other advice. You are doing great already and apparently not falling into the trap of doing too much too soon with regard to exercise. As you probably figured out, it's a marathon not a sprint.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    I've been around a while. Lost over 80lbs over the last 12 months. Feel free to ad me;)
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Feel free to add me. love to give and receive support. I am 47 and have been using MFP faithfully since April. I am down 26lbs and have 48 more (give or take) to go.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    You will find the more you walk, the easier it becomes. But don't overdue it. Because you will have aches and pains, but if you keep it up you will be fine. Limit yourself to 1200 calories a day and get 80 grams of protein. Meijers sells a protein powder for about $15 that will last about a month and will give you 35 grams.

Best of luck, Add me to your friend list and let me know how you are doing!!

Basil
  • Kazenouta
    Kazenouta Posts: 27
    Welcome and best of luck on your quest!