Canoe race

Options
Just wanted to share a fund experience that I had in April when I first started to get serious about dropping a few extra pounds. My friend ( who had lost 90 pounds with weight watchers) and I entered a local canoe race. We canoed for 3 hours and 19 min. straight. No stopping at all. The race was about 16 miles long. There was 10 miles of water with no current and 6 miles of quick water. We went down rapids and even had to port and carrie our canoe over 3 different manditory ports. Up over steep banks across bridges and back down the bank to the water.

We never tipped our canoe over and we came 6th out of 12:happy: in the womens recreational class. It was really impowering and felt so good to compete against people of all types. In all there were about 400 or so canoes entered in ther race total. There were over 700 people that competed in the competition. If anyone is interested the are pics. on www.kenduskeagstreamcanoerace.com We are somewhere around page 25 or so. We wanted to be noticed so we painted out canoe blue with pink poke-a-dots. I'm in the from wearing a pink cowboy hat. We were #148.

Let me remind everyone that I"m from Maine. The river water was very chilly that day. An estimation of about 35-40 degrees. :noway:

Replies

• ccropley1
    ccropley1 Posts: 8
    Options
    Just wanted to share a fund experience that I had in April when I first started to get serious about dropping a few extra pounds. My friend ( who had lost 90 pounds with weight watchers) and I entered a local canoe race. We canoed for 3 hours and 19 min. straight. No stopping at all. The race was about 16 miles long. There was 10 miles of water with no current and 6 miles of quick water. We went down rapids and even had to port and carrie our canoe over 3 different manditory ports. Up over steep banks across bridges and back down the bank to the water.

We never tipped our canoe over and we came 6th out of 12:happy: in the womens recreational class. It was really impowering and felt so good to compete against people of all types. In all there were about 400 or so canoes entered in ther race total. There were over 700 people that competed in the competition. If anyone is interested the are pics. on www.kenduskeagstreamcanoerace.com We are somewhere around page 25 or so. We wanted to be noticed so we painted out canoe blue with pink poke-a-dots. I'm in the from wearing a pink cowboy hat. We were #148.

Let me remind everyone that I"m from Maine. The river water was very chilly that day. An estimation of about 35-40 degrees. :noway:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    omg girl....I'm impressed!!! where was it? Saco?

I'm a fellow canoe lover....and I know what it takes and those fast waters are so hard....but its a great workout and what you did is a great accomplishment!!!! I'm very proud of you guys!!!

hugs!
    Ali (I live in mass. and before I had my son, every year we'd take a long three day weekend and canoe and camp on the banks of the saco w/ a big group of people...no racing..lol...well sometimes but me and dh would beat the other couples LOL...lots of laughs and good times!)
  • ccropley1
    Options
    This race was in Kenduskeag which is about 20 mins. from Bangor if your that gives you a better idea. Lincoln is the town that I live in. That is about 3 hours north of Saco. I do have an Aunt that lives in Saco though.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    ah okay...cool...and I can only imagine the water...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

btw...you're little pumpkin is just adorable!!!!!!!!!!!

hugs!
    Ali
  • ccropley1
    Options
    Thanks! He is my pride and joy!!!