Need a good heart rate monitor - any suggestions?

Options
I recently purchased a heart rate monitor from Wally World for about 40 bucks. No clue what the brand was, but they only carry one brand. Anywho, I got it simply to track calorie burn and I thought it was working fine....until I looked at it at the end of my 60 min Zumba class and it said I burned 40 calories.

Yea...it stopped the moment I started sweating (it said I had only been exercising for 3 minutes)

Can anyone recommend a quality heart rate monitor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I mainly just need it for calorie burn. I don't need a pedometer and all that jazz.

Also, I could care less if it's one your wear or your wrist or chest. No preference.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• FineassTJ
    FineassTJ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4F and it works awesome. Amazon has it for around $64. Best money I have spent in a while. Accurate, easy to use, and I forget its on.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4F and it works awesome. Amazon has it for around $64. Best money I have spent in a while. Accurate, easy to use, and I forget its on.

Amazon was going to be the next place I was going to scope out. Just wanted to ask you guys here first. Thanks!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Bump for later Amazon search!
  • mnharrington
    mnharrington Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 that I love. Amazon has the best price by far.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I have and I agree completely. I got if off of heartmonitorsusa website instead of Amazon because shipping was free but the price was the same. I LOVE it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a quality heart rate monitor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I mainly just need it for calorie burn. I don't need a pedometer and all that jazz.

Also, I could care less if it's one your wear or your wrist or chest. No preference.

Thanks guys!

Sadly, accurate calorie count is what makes it expensive for a good one.

You could also just take your avg HR during the workout to here and use the results.
    Link to the Polar study that created the formula is there too.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • robertrettab
    Options

I have the same model and bought it from Amazon as well . . . money well spent. It is also waterproof
  • mdentley
    mdentley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 that I love. Amazon has the best price by far.

I have to agree. I have had Garmin and Timex, but my Polar FT60 is by far the best I've used.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

Thanks guys!

Sadly, accurate calorie count is what makes it expensive for a good one.

You could also just take your avg HR during the workout to here and use the results.
    Link to the Polar study that created the formula is there too.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Thanks for the link.

By arm and a leg I meant $100+. That's what D.I.C.K'S was trying to scam for their HR monitors.
  • Bluedup
    Bluedup Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nike+ Sportswatch is a very nice watch. I recently purchased one and i'm in love. Gps capability and also heartrate monitor. Just makes your workout a lil more fun! Kinda pricey , but you only live once!
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Try Ebay too, they have new ones from reputable sellers that have free shipping. Many are "buy now" so you don't have to wait for the auction to end. Worked for me :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The Polar watches are excellent for what you are looking for.
    I've gone through 4 brands or so and the basic Polar will fit your needs/price and has good software/website.

My tools are a little more high-end because of the biking and hiking and I use the GPS to not get lost -- Garmin Edge 800, Forerunner 450, Polar S725, Geonaute (cheapo French watch that takes a licking)... and other stuff - i'm not a HRM junky but they have piled up over the years..
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

This.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options
    The Polar watches are excellent for what you are looking for.
    I've gone through 4 brands or so and the basic Polar will fit your needs/price and has good software/website.

My tools are a little more high-end because of the biking and hiking and I use the GPS to not get lost -- Garmin Edge 800, Forerunner 450, Polar S725, Geonaute (cheapo French watch that takes a licking)... and other stuff - i'm not a HRM junky but they have piled up over the years..

Yea, I just need it for dancing around the gym like an idiot. Although I do get lost at the gym occasionally, so maybe a gps might come in handy....:tongue:
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I also got the Polar FT4 and love it!