Weight gain with exercise and diet

Options
2»

Replies

• mamafish2313
    Options
    I did Insanity Cardio max 47 min long with 2 lb hand weights and then I did Turbo fire 30 min with hand weights this AM. I wear a chest strap heart rate monitor. I usually do 2 videos or 2 things to keep it diversified. AND BURN THEM UP! Cathe has some serious videos that make my heart beat and when I run, I hill train and run for about 70 minutes.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So typically 70 minutes at 10 cals per minute ? That's a pretty high work rate, is the HRM tuned up for your actual fitness level - they tend to overestimate in "default" settings, especially for ladies - by up to 1/3. You should also subtract 70 calories per hour that you would have used anyway, in order not to over-account for the burn and consequently overeat.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    So typically 70 minutes at 10 cals per minute ? That's a pretty high work rate, is the HRM tuned up for your actual fitness level - they tend to overestimate in "default" settings, especially for ladies - by up to 1/3. You should also subtract 70 calories per hour that you would have used anyway, in order not to over-account for the burn and consequently overeat.

I always wondered about this.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have gained some muscle mass. At a BMR of 1370 and exercise averaging 700 I think you should shoot for 1700-1800 per day.
  • mamafish2313
    Options
    It's set with my weight age and sex. Also with my target heart rate zones both low and high. I have been know to hit 184 but usually around 155-170 when i llok at my watch. My max target heart rate is 190. Resting is 70.
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    I'm no expert. But, I notice that when I'm really hitting hard, e.g. eating no more than 1500 calories a day and working out like crazy (so, I'm netting 1200 or less), then I often see my weight go up. If I slow down for a bit, e.g. I have a major deadline at work, a vacation, or I get sick, then I'll see it suddenly drop. It's weird, but I've seen it enough times to expect it. I am trying to rely more and more on the measuring tape and less on the scale. (I'm also fairly petite and near my "ideal" weight. I think it might be more a phenomena the slimmer you get.)
  • michcakes
    michcakes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    maybe try changing up what you eat. i was stalled out and decided to cut out the carbs - bread, pasta, sugar. worked like a charm!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I would suggest cutting down the exercise for a while, and keeping your eating the same and see what happens.
    Also note the things you have changed in your diet since you started gaining this weight, and see what might be a possible source of the issue. It sounds really frustrating, I think I would freak if this happened to me.
  • natasha150
    natasha150 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i had the same thing for a while and my trainer was at a loss at to why i was either putting on weight or not losing at all.

ultimately it came down to two things:
    1. i was over training and my body did not have enough time to recover. i learnt that our muscles hold on to glycogen which binds with water to carry out muscle repair. so all that water you are drinking during the course of the day is being retained till your body manages to repair itself.
    2. your creating too much of a deficit and may not be giving your body enough nutrition it needs to work out and to sustain a healthy weight loss and is causing it to plateau

ultimately as hard as it sounds, it may be an idea just to give your body a rest by reducing the frequency of your work out. i reduced mine from twice a day to once ever second day. and also increasing your calories and actually relaxing a little bit with the whole diet thing.

i plateaued for 2 months at 60 kgs. so for the last month i have stopped hitting the gym and just watching my calories the old fashioned way and have lost 1.5 kgs (6 pounds?).

i am slowly aiming to ramp up my work outs again to try to beat the water retention and the dreaded plateau.

good luck and dont forget to keep changing things up ;)