Getting Ready at the Gym?

Options
I was wondering if anyone had any tips if they go straight from the gym to work or school. If you fix your hair before your go, then just use a little dry shampoo on your roots, or wait and shower and blow dry and completely get ready at the gym. Just trying to figure out what is going to cut into my work out time the least, without really sacrificing looking professional.

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    sorry. this totally cracked me up!
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    10/10 this must be troll post.

I train this out of the closet guy, really great, has a lot of desire to get fit. This was a conversation between us:

HIM: Oh no I shouldn't have blow dried my hair, now its all poofy!
    ME: We are here to lift weights, not complain about our hair, now lets go!

Your focus should be on your work out not looking pretty.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    10/10 this must be troll post.

I train this out of the closet guy, really great, has a lot of desire to get fit. This was a conversation between us:

HIM: Oh no I shouldn't have blow dried my hair, now its all poofy!
    ME: We are here to lift weights, not complain about our hair, now lets go!

unfortunately for women in the professional workforce this is a valid question since many women go straight from the gym to work, so chill out.
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    When I have class after my workouts, I tend to pull my hair into a ponytail, put some dry shampoo in it to soak up some of the sweat, and then pull my ponytail into a bun. I then wipe my face with a face cleaning wipe and apply my makeup (no makeup while working out - bad for your skin and looks weird in my opinion). I then reapply deordorant and spray some body spray.

It's not perfect like getting ready at home but it's good for class.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    It sounded like she is going to the gym after work... if the the other way around try waking up X amount of minutes earlier, you can sleep when you are old its time to live now.
  • catie_tiu
    catie_tiu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just went to a new gym for the first time today. I was surprised to see a woman in the locker room who seemed to have washed her hair, blow dried it, and was doing her make up. All at the gym. I guess it just depends on what you feel like doing or not. Obviously you have to plan out more time and bring more stuff if you want to do the whole shebang. I can't really give you any tips since I leave the gym gross and go straight back home.
  • mirandasullivan85
    mirandasullivan85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm really a lady, and I'm really serious. I work closely with people, and I need to look nice and neat. *and smell good*I don't have childcare in the evening, so the only time I have to go to the gym is before work. I work out an get pretty icky. I'm new to this, and trying to have a healthier lifestyle. I was really hoping some women would have some tips. :-( Not DB men making fun of me.
  • hellosara08
    hellosara08 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I shower at the gym and wash my face and all that jazz. I imagine if I was going straight to work after, I would get completely ready. I pack a gym bag/duffle bag specifically for the purpose of getting ready for the rest of my day at the gym. I mean, that's why they have showers, mirrors, lockers, etc.

I say get your work out in and then get ready if you need to. *shrugs*
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Um, the person is talking about getting ready AFTER their workout so they can go to work/school. Not getting ready to go TO the gym.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Ignore the dudes being jerks.

When I go to the gym, I get completely ready there since I picked a gym on my way to work so I'd use it.
    I shower there with shampoo and conditioner.
    I don't always blow dry my hair and I don't wear make up

There are women at my gym who shower, change, blow dry, straighten, make up, and brush their teeth at the gym.
    The brushing the teeth thing is a tad much in my opinion
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    I just shower and get dressed at the gym. I got shortish hair though so no blow drying necessary. If you need to do that, then do it. but I can't stand to work out and then stay icky. plus, a whole day like that? no way.
  • Sabs_21
    Sabs_21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I was hitting the gym before work (and I have to be at work by 7am) I had a bag with everything I needed to get ready (body wash, deodorant, etc.) and then just added the next day's clothes. One thing I do recommend though is getting a pair of flip flops for the shower. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I really didn't want to get a foot fungus, lol.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    No kidding. Read the post before bashing the poster. Not everyone is a telemarketer that can go to work stinky and disheveled.
  • Dlauron
    Dlauron Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I allow enough time to get fully ready after my workout. I know that I have to leave the gym by 6:45 am to get to work on time, so I have to finish my shower by 6:30. I need to be totally finished with my workout by 6:20 in order to make it happen. It just means I need to start earlier on the days I go to the gym before work. I am alone in the mornings at work, for about a half hour, so I get makeup on once I get to work. Everything else is done at the gym.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    When I do my early morning workout at the gym before work I shower and get ready there. That means shower, wash hair, blow dry, fix, put on makeup,,,etc. I am a professional businesswoman and not taking a shower prior to going to work would not even be an option.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I get ready at the gym like I would if I was home-meaning I shower, wash my hair, dry it (or do something with it while it's wait style wise) do makeup and go. The only thing I don't do at the gym is brush my teeth cause I do that before I leave my house
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Before I had dogs and went to the gym before work, I showered and did my whole make up stuff at the gym... took too much time to go home again to do this. Luckily I live in a cube and people have to come talk to me to smell me now :)
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Valid question.
    I pack my bag the night before and try to wash my hair at nights so I don't wash my hair at the gym, just rinse it out. My gym bag is chocka full and has everything I need to get ready to go straight to work after hitting the gym. It's funny becuase I can shower and get ready within 10 mins at the gym whereas if I was getting ready at home it would take around 25 mins. I guess it's because I can't change my mind about outfits because I have only packed one.
    Sux when you have forgotten to pack a vital piece of clothing though (i.e bra) - aaargh!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I get up early enough that I can hit the gym, and then go back home to get ready for work. I'm there at 0515, but home by 0630. Howeever, there are plenty of women there who I've noticed shower, wash their hair and do a complete 'get ready' at the gym. I have no problem with that. I just don't want to go through that. I'd rather get up earlier so I can return home. Go for it!
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    Simple, if you need to get ready for work with a full-on shower wake up that much earlier :)

I get everything ready the night before including my entire outfit, all my shower stuff, work items and food for the next day. I even lay out my workout clothes on my bed so when I get up I'm literally out the door in 10 minutes. I'm on the gym floor by 5:30 AM, in the locker room by 7:20ish to shower and get ready for work... and in the office by 8 AM (usually :P)