Help with Chili

Options
MissFit0101
MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
I'm tired of making the same old boring, basic chili recipe, so I'm looking for some new ideas to add to the flavor. If you care to share you chili secrets with me, thank you!

Replies

• HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I like mine with lots of tomato!!!

How many different beans do you use?

I like adding black and red beans to my chilli! :)
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A few "special ingredients" that I like...

A couple table spoons of cocoa powder

or

Chipotle Peppers and their sauce

or

Butternut Squash/canned pumpkin
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I typically use chili beans, black beans, red beans. I love beans!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Bacon.

Also, used diced chuck or stew beef instead of ground beef.
  • SophieB74656
    SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I make mine wih ground turkey instead of beef. you can try adding different veggies to it. little pieces of cauliflower or brocolli. I also like to top mine with a few slices of avocado
  • missypoo1974
    Options
    One thing that we started doing is adding a jar of salsa (we usually go for hot and I really love the salsa that has black beans and corn in it) to spice it up a bit. We also do turkey burger instead of beef (I bet turkey sausage would be good). I have also been known to add some cubed zucchini to my chili, but that's usually because we are overloaded with zucchini from our garden. Sorry, this is all I have.....not super different.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    White Chili

6 servings, 1 1/3 cups each

Active Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

View Our Nutrition Guidelines » Ingredients
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    2 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    3 15-ounce cans great northern beans, rinsed
    4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    4 cups diced cooked skinless turkey, or chicken
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar

Preparation
    1.Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chiles, oregano, cumin and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in beans and broth; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add turkey (or chicken) and vinegar; cook for 5 minutes more. Serve.
    NutritionPer serving: 453 calories; 6 g fat ( 2 g sat , 2 g mono ); 68 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 44 g protein; 9 g fiber; 213 mg sodium; 965 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Niacin (80% daily value), Fiber (45% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv), Iron (25% dv).

Carbohydrate Servings: 3

Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 5 very lean meat
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Kroger - Chili Seasoning Mix - Mild, 1 container (8 tbsp ea.)
    Vidalia - Onion, 1 medium
    Kroger Ground Beef 73%Lean 27%Fat, 1 container (16 oz ea.)
    Kroger - Tomato Paste - Italian Style, 1 container (10 tbsp ea.)
    Kroger Value - Peeled Diced Tomatoes In Tomato Juice 14.5 oz Can, 1 container (1 4/5 cup (120g) ea.)
    Kroger - Light Red Kidney Beans , 3 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Kroger - Chili Hot Beans In Chili Gravy 15 oz, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Vegetable - Green Bell Pepper (Raw), 1 large bell pepper

This is 8 (1 1/2 cup) servings
    429 calories per serving

If you want to make some really spicy chili, add 1 oz of dark chocolate to it, really yummy!!
  • zgochenour
    zgochenour Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Try lentils and garbanzo beans. Also, to me the secret ingredient is cinnamon. Get the real stuff, not the powdery ash pre-ground kind.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    A few ideas to help with the variety-

Green chile pork or chorizo as the meat. I also like additional cilantro with either of those two.

Bacon is a great addition to anything.

Experiment using more peppercorn or cayenne to change up the basic flavor.

A hickory bbq sauce and a tiny bit of brown sugar gives it a southern chili stew vibe.
  • socalsweetheart87
    socalsweetheart87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    use a variety of beans, i use 8-12 different kinds in mine....

the different beans give different textures and tastes with each bite
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Okay, this sounds weird, but is so good... I add thin sliced zucchini and let it cook in there, then add a small can of salsa verde, stir in some fat free greek yogurt, and fresh cilantro. It's my favorite way to dress up some plain canned chili. My sis made an awesome chili with black beans, chorizo, chipotle sauce, and cubed sweet potato.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Cumin for sure
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    We usually just throw whatever is available in a pot & call it good! ;)

Whatever is available usually includes: black beans, tomatoes, onion, peppers, cumin, salt & pepper, corn, chili powder, and garlic. Or whatever else we've got... Then we blend about 1/3 of the mixture, stir it back in, and serve over rice or corn chips and top with cheese & sour cream! We do literally no measuring when we make chili, haha. Everything is to taste. =)
  • leaann3
    leaann3 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    http://www.budgetsavvydiva.com/2012/03/crock-pot-chicken-chili-recipe/

I just had this chicken chili tonight and it was wonderful! It does take low fat cream cheese, but that could easily be omitted. I also found a recipe once for Hawaiian Chicken Chili that had pineapple in it. I know that sounds weird but it was good too.
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I like to add a nice, spicy bloody mary mix to my chili or sometimes a little bit of spaghetti sauce mixed in gives it a nice flavor also. We like to top it with some sour cream, green onions and cheddar cheese. Yum!
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of making the same old boring, basic chili recipe, so I'm looking for some new ideas to add to the flavor. If you care to share you chili secrets with me, thank you!

Add PB2, unsweetened cocoa, beer and Espresso powder - HUGE flavor boost! :)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    We make the best damn chili... Our secret is to slowwwwww cook it, in the oven, with no lid. It gets so thick and wonderful. And we always use chipotle in adobe and a ton of seasoning.

I can dig out my "recipe" but we never really follow one. We cook lots of beans from dry, use ground turkey meat, bulgur wheat soaked in warm broth, tomato juice, lots of vegetables (a TON - carrots, onion, peppers, corn, and whatever else we have on hand), spices galore, chipotle in adobo, and cook it all on medium heat for a while on the stove. Then heat the oven to 250F or so and let it cook all day, stirring every 30 minutes or so.

It's ridiculous. It almost gets a "roasted" taste to it. Give it a try - I promise you won't be disappointed! :happy: