Help me i'm new

Options
Okay so somebody recently referred me to this website and i'm pretty confused. Any advice on explaining things more in depth?

Replies

• Dlauron
    Dlauron Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found it much easier to start out on the app on my phone. Not as much to look at. Just log food, exercise and weight. Then, start looking at it on the computer. You'll find groups, friends, etc. It's kinda overwhelming when you first start out. Just start with the basics and go from there.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    What kind of info are you looking for?

Basically count your calories.

I used this calculator to set my daily calories http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • joannbrunton
    joannbrunton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    someone will in a while. i have only been on mfp for 2 months and i'm just getting the hang of it myself.....give them a few minutes because everyone is so helpful on this site. you will love it and see results.
  • LORA0504
    LORA0504 Posts: 22
    Options
    I agree with Dlauron, I started on the MobileApp first and then got more familiar with the website, message boards, tracking weight and etc. I am a newbie too so still learning.
  • Christophalon
    Christophalon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It very much depends on what you are hoping to achieve. Also, are you confused about the website mechanics, or about terminology such as BMR, exercise calories etc.? Do you want help on how to start, or how to go about starting?
  • amd5523
    amd5523 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thank you all for the info. I hope this can help me lose weight and get advice from others doing the same thing.
  • amd5523
    Options
    Theres just so much different things on here that I just don't know exactly where to start. I don't even know exactly what kind of healthy food to eat and the best exercising techniques.
  • Christophalon
    Options
    Well, if you know how to log the food you eat on the website, then try logging some of your normal meals. You may be surprised at the difference in values between foods you like similarly. Possibly the greatest thing about the process is it raises your awareness about what you are eating. I originally joined up after returning home from university so that I could log the main meals I was eating with my parents, who are struggling a little to control their weight.
  • amd5523
    Options
    Well I live at school so logging my food is difficult because I never really knows whats to come. And i'm sure none of it is actually good for me.
  • cmwash13
    cmwash13 Posts: 14
    Options
    App on the phone is so easy then I just jump on the computer to check up and chat
  • Christophalon
    Options
    Is this a situation where you live in catered accommodation? That is an absolute minefield. It is possible that you could request a nutritional breakdown of your meals which you could input on here as a new food that you create yourself. Otherwise use the 'quick add calories' method and try to make an educated estimate of your intake for those meals you cannot control.

If you find you need to lose a small to medium amount of weight, I would suggest you severely limit the number of calories you drink. Drink mostly water and sugar free squashes and diet sodas (bear in mind some sweeteners used are hardly ideal). Try to increase your caffeine intake, particularly early in the day with drinks like tea and coffee. Tea is also an appetite suppressant. Also remember to log any milk you use in these as calories. Furthermore, Alcohol is a major problem drink because the drinks it is in tend to be quite high calorie and your liver becomes occupied with processing the alcohol instead of helping you lose weight.
  • amd5523
    Options
    ahhhh! I see! So coffee is okay to drink because I tried to cut it out of my daily routine because I figured that had something to do with the weight gain.

Other than that I think I'm going to try to just make my own meals to help better my weight lose and it will be easier to log. Thank you again for all your guys advice. :)
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My food diary is open feel free to take a look. I eat whatever I am hungry for and try to keep it around mfp's recommended calories I exercise daily. I do not eat back any exercise calories and started this weight loss journey May 1st at 159 lbs. Today I am 142. Love this site. Feel free to friend me and look at my diaries
  • ravenk00
    ravenk00 Posts: 1
    Options
    i was told that i can go to resturants and be able to check the menus befor i go. we travel every couple of months, we have to eat out and i cant find it. HELP
  • amd5523
    Options
    well how do I take a look at your food diary? I dont quite know yet.
  • ROTC13
    ROTC13 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm new too! One of my friends told me about it and I wanna get started as soon as possible and start loosing weight!! How does this site work??
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    I found it was easier to eat as I did then as I was logging I realized how bad my choices were and I naturally changed. Make the most our of each meal. Drink your water, eat fruit and veggies, watch portion sizes and get moving. Add me as a friend if you want. here are snack ideas under 50 calories each
    Satisfy your sweet tooth

1. 1⁄2 medium apple, baked, topped with 1 Tbsp lowfat yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon (45 calories)

2. 1⁄2 small banana, frozen (45 calories)

3. 4 oz unsweetened applesauce sprinkled with cinnamon (49 calories)

4. 1 miniature box of raisins (45 calories)

5. 2 sugar-free ice pops (30 calories)

6. 1 sugar-free fudge ice pop (35 calories)

7. 12 cherries (48 calories)

8. 1 individual serving sugar-free gelatin with 3 Tbsp light whipped topping (40 calories)

9. 1⁄2 cup strawberries with 21⁄2 Tbsp nonfat yogurt (47 calories)

10. 14 seedless red grapes, frozen (48 calories)

Indulge a salt craving

11. 11⁄2 cups salted air-popped popcorn (46 calories)
    12. 1⁄4 cup shelled edamame with sea salt (37 calories)
    13. 8 oz miso soup (36 calories)
    14. 1 pretzel rod (37 calories)
    15. 1⁄4 small bag of Glenny's lightly salted soy crisps (35 calories)
    16. 1 medium sliced cucumber mixed with 1⁄4 cup sliced onion, 1⁄2 cup chopped celery, 4 Tbsp vinegar and salt to taste (45 calories)
    17. 6 oz eight-vegetable juice (39 calories)
    18. 1 kosher dill pickle (10 calories)

Crunch and munch

19. 1⁄2 cup jicama with 4 oz salsa (49.5 calories)
    20. 11⁄2 cups sugar snap peas (40 calories)
    21. Small celery stalk smeared with 1⁄2 Tbsp natural peanut butter (49 calories)
    22. 1⁄2 small apple with 1 tsp soy butter (46 calories)
    23. 1 brown rice cake with 1 Tbsp sugar-free jam (44 calories)

Smooth and creamy

24. 1 Laughing Cow Light Garlic & Herb wedge spread on cucumber slices (35 calories)
    25. 1 tsp almond butter (34 calories)
    26. 1⁄2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt with 1 tsp sugar-free strawberry jam (43 calories)
    27. 1 oz avocado (about 1⁄8 of an avocado) squirted with lime (45 calories)
    28. 8 grape tomatoes dipped in 1 Tbsp light cream cheese (46 calories)

Cheesy whizzes

29. 6 pieces of endive filled with 1⁄2 oz reduced-fat feta cheese (49 calories)
    30. 1 slice fat-free American cheese (30 calories)
    31. 1 large tomato, sliced, topped with 1 Tbsp Parmesan, broiled (44 calories)
    32. 1 oz fat-free cottage cheese on 1 slice caraway Finn Crisp Crispbread (38 calories)
    33. 1 oz fat-free mozzarella dipped in 1 tsp marinara sauce (46 calories)

Power up on protein

34. Turkey rollups: 2 slices white meat turkey rolled in 2 lettuce leaves (46 calories)
    35. 1 oz smoked salmon (about 1 slice) on 2 Wheat Thins crackers (Multi-Grain) (48 calories)
    36. 1 tofu dog with 1 Tbsp sauerkraut (48 calories)
    37. 1⁄2 cup plain fat-free yogurt sprinkled with 1 tsp sunflower seeds (49.6 calories)
    38. 1.3 oz water-packed tuna with 1 tsp Dijon mustard (48 calories)
    39. 2 large hard-cooked egg whites with 1 cup sliced cucumber (48 calories)
    40. 1 slice Wasa Fibre Crispbread with 2 tsp hummus (45 calories)
    41. 1 medium water-packed sardine with slice of red onion (35 calories)

Solid standbys

42. 1⁄2 cup melon with 2 Tbsp 1% cottage cheese (47 calories)
    43. 1⁄2 small grapefruit (32 calories)
    44. 1⁄3 cup blueberries with 1 Tbsp light sour cream (47 calories)
    45. 1⁄2 cup carrots with 1 Tbsp light ranch dressing (45 calories)

Thirst quenchers

46. 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk with 1 Tbsp Walden Farms calorie-free chocolate syrup (40 calories)
    47. 1 packet of sugar-free hot chocolate made with 1⁄4 cup skim milk and 3⁄4 cup hot water (47 calories)
    48. 3⁄4 cup almond milk (45 calories)
    49. 3⁄4 cup seltzer with 1⁄4 cup cranberry juice and a lime wedge (33 calories)
    50. Homemade iced green tea (with artificial sweetener if desired) (0 calories)
  • lcr313
    lcr313 Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I am new too and am "hungry" for any info I can get on this site. :happy: