Why not to listen to Dr.Oz

Options
I used to watch Dr.Oz back in the day, but I haven't in years. Lately I've been hearing people say not to listen to him, but they didn't exactly give a reason why. He used to give great advice and seemed to know what he was talking about, and he never supported any weight loss gimmicks or anything. What has changed??

Replies

• Sore2dayStrong2morrow
    Sore2dayStrong2morrow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    honestly, I watch his show often and I think he is full of insightful information regarding the body and health. I don't think he would have an accredited medical day time show if his information was faulty.
  • treimnitz
    treimnitz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, Dr. Oz seems to send out quite a bit of information about how women/people can lose weight with different vitamins or drugs. He doesn't really focus much on how eating right and exercise are the key.
    I don't like how he sends out a message of "false hope" to some people. Personally, I used to try to lose weight through some of these "false hope" ways and nothing happened. The only time I lost weight was when I changed my diet.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    In my opinion, Dr. Oz seems to send out quite a bit of information about how women/people can lose weight with different vitamins or drugs. He doesn't really focus much on how eating right and exercise are the key.
    I don't like how he sends out a message of "false hope" to some people. Personally, I used to try to lose weight through some of these "false hope" ways and nothing happened. The only time I lost weight was when I changed my diet.

Thanks for the info!
  • dick01
    dick01 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i also agree with you as Dr oz is very busy trying to make a buck or two from the diet supplement pills. They do not work for everyone. I am trying rasberry ketones. Anybody on it and any hints to if you loose weight or not.
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options

I disagree. I feel like Dr. Oz gives people many avenues for to achieve their weight loss goals. There is no perfect fix that fits everyone. Even on MFP its quite obvious there are TONS of different ways to lose weight. It just depends on your lifestyle and what you want to do to achieve your goals. There are a million safe and unsafe options out there and Dr. Oz is helps viewers with safe ones. I am forever greatful to him for intriducing me to my Vitamix and the The Eat to Live Program. I've had amazing results thanks to his suggestions!!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't watch him often, but when I do he always seems to be pushing supplements and frozen meals, not much else.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    From reading prior posts, it seems that Dr. Oz seems to push the item of whoever is paying him...and everyone also argues the fact that he is a heart surgeon, not a dietician or nutritionist.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What really irks me about Dr. Oz is that he sensationalizes whatever herb, vitamin or supplement that is the topic of that day's show to help you quckly shed weight....but barely skims over the fact that eating at a deficit is what is actually required for weight loss. He does what he has to for the TV ratings and additional income, helping people is secondary. I do like the fact that he promotes healthy foods, but many times it seems that his message is that if you eat healthy you don't have to worry about how many calories you're consuming.
  • katiekrusher
    katiekrusher Posts: 143
    Options
    RASPBERRY KETONES! :smokin:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    3odmzl.jpg
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'll catch Dr. Oz occasionally and while he has good ideas - things to substitute or cook ... I HATE that he pushes weird supplements. Like Raspberry ketones. I saw that episode. good grief, I wanted to smack him through the TV ...

so, sure, take the good, leave the bad.

there's NO WAY anyone could follow what he says 100% anyway -- you'd be broke and spend all day taking supplements.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    cause ,he aint the wizard of Oz
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    He changes his information often, pushes specific products that are unproven, and acts like losing weight is as simple as taking ___________ (insert fad supplement here). And then, when he does cover important health topics and problems, he's so vague that ANYONE watching could become a hypochondriac.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    he just seems like a total quack to me. My mom watches him all the time and everytime I'm around and it's on, he's talking about how we should be taking some vitamin or supplement or some other miracle cure for something.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I disagree. I feel like Dr. Oz gives people many avenues for to achieve their weight loss goals. There is no perfect fix that fits everyone. Even on MFP its quite obvious there are TONS of different ways to lose weight. It just depends on your lifestyle and what you want to do to achieve your goals. There are a million safe and unsafe options out there and Dr. Oz is helps viewers with safe ones. I am forever greatful to him for intriducing me to my Vitamix and the The Eat to Live Program. I've had amazing results thanks to his suggestions!!

This!!! ^^^^^ There is MANY different things that help and promote weight loss, thats why he talks about so many of them (the ones that are safe) so that people know all the different ways and things that can help or promote it in a safe way and they can choose for themselves if they want to try any of them.
  • trblmakr23
    trblmakr23 Posts: 44
    Options
    I used to think he was cute on oprah and thought he had some brains..then really started to watch his shows. Then realized he's just promoting whatever he's getting paid to promote at that moment. Now he looks like some weird old creepy dude to me.lol
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz knows what he's talking about. Mainly because he's a real doctor. He was known as a great doctor, and that's how he ended up with a show. He gives awesome advice. I swear by his show.
  • docscottj
    docscottj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I watch his show and he does preface in some form the importance of diet and exercise, as well as by saying the information he has provided is supplemental.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

This!!! ^^^^^ There is MANY different things that help and promote weight loss, thats why he talks about so many of them (the ones that are safe) so that people know all the different ways and things that can help or promote it in a safe way and they can choose for themselves if they want to try any of them.

Actually this is where you are wrong. There aren't MANY ways to lose weight, only one (here's a helpful hint, it involves a caloric deficit).

Other things, whilst some may be helpful, tasty, superfood-ish etc, are at best small ways to assist in weightloss, and at worst are over-hyped, over-hyped, ineffective products.

You can suck down all the goji berries, rasperry ketones and acai berry you like, even mixed up in your fancy new Dr OZ pedaled blender thingy, but if you eat at a caloric surplus..... guess what'll happen?!?!???