WTFUZZ???

Options
Hey everyone. I could really use some advice/motivation here. I've been doing Jillian Michaels 30ds because I've read nothing but great things about it. I see everyone's great results on the before and after pics and was inspired! So I got the dvd and started the workout on 7/12/12. I use 5lb hand weights and have only missed one workout so far due to a little bday celebration that ran later than expected :wink:
So far, I have gained...yes GAINED weight. I know from reading and research most ppl don't lose much weight with it but gaining weight?? I usually eat under calorie goal (which is 1430). I'm 5'3" and currently 140lbs. If anyone could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it.
As far as measurements are concerned, I've only lost about 1/2 inch from waist, hips, thighs. It's something I know, but not what I expected. Also, it's not TOM so I can't blame that (this time).

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Hey I did the Shred and felt the same way. I was so frustrated by the scale i stopped on day 26. I lost 2.5 lbs and felt i was going no where until i took my measurements ans compared my after pictures to my before. I was also eating about 1400 calories when i was doing it. It was worth it and i got good results.

Not sure if you can view my pics but i have before and after from the 30 day shred in them.
  • AmyLyn1983
    AmyLyn1983 Posts: 100
    Options
    It is a bit discouraging. I need to keep in mind eveyone is different and I won't have the same results as someone else. I won't give up though. Jillian will not defeat me!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I had to turn her down and turn up some Latin music cause i hated her voice at the end. lol You are building lean muscle while dropping the fat so dont worry. :)
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I gained weight the first week.. I've read that your muscles will retain more water during repair, so since you're working them harder now it should be expected.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 30ds for about a week more than you and I have just started to notice differences only like yesterday. Haven't lost any weight but my clothes are fitting noticeably better. Stick with it!
  • AmyLyn1983
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm def going to stick it out. Maybe I'll be one of the before and after pics on here when I'm done!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Well, the bad news is the weight is not you gaining muscle. Even if we put away the discussion of gaining muscle on a calorie deficit, and assume that you may experience some initial newbie gains, There is no way you put 5 lbs of muscle on in two weeks. it's a common belief but incorrect.

Check out this article
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie

But to summarize - when we start exercise or increase intensity, our muscles store more glycogen than usual. Glycogen requires water for storage which increases our weight. Basically, your muscles are retaining water.

It will level off and the fat loss will catch up enough to start showing on the scale. Hang in there.

One of the reasons why scale weight isnt an accurate indicator of progress.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start the shred again as I need to improve my strength for a half marathon I will be doing in a few weeks. I don't plan to be weighing myself during this time!!! It does make you gain because of the muscle and muscle repair but there are good benefits...it's a horrid workout and I hate Jillian through most of it but it really does help with strength without needing to hit the gym.

Stick with it, it is an achievement in itself! xxx
  • AmyLyn1983
    Options
    Wow thanks so much for the great info! I'm def glad I posted this, because with the weight gain, I was actually getting discouraged to the point of rethinking completing the workout. Thanks again everyone. I plan on putting the scales away until after I complete this!
  • AmyLyn1983
    Options
    Check out this article
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie

This was extremely helpful
  • katelouiseoz
    Options
    Thanks for this post, I have been really down the last week after starting the 30DS and running 3k every second day this is a massive difference to my exercise routine.. before I did NOTHING. I have put on about 1.5kg in the last 9 days and have felt totally de motivated, I'll keep going and see where I am in a few weeks :)
  • AmyLyn1983
    Options
    Oh no problem. I was driving myself crazy trying to figure it out myself. Even searching online is confusing. I figured the best place to ask is here. :flowerforyou:
  • AmyLyn1983
    Options
    Just an update: I had my weigh in today and I did gain a pound. However, my body fat % dropped 1.3% and I gained about 3lbs lean weight. :happy:
    This has been since 7/23. I am just getting ready to start Level 3 tomorrow. Can't wait to see what happens after I finish that!