Liquor...it was sent here to destroy us.

Options
124»

Replies

• jonelaw
    jonelaw Posts: 28
    Options
    I love me some white wine and Grey Goose....though usually not together ;)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Lamb's navy 151. 122 cals per ounce. Thankfully i don't have an aim of getting drunk any longer, so 1-2 servings is enough for a relaxing evening.

Beerwise, i favor lighthouse or phillips, both local breweries, and they check in at around 160 cals per brew.
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh how I love my cab...& merlot, red zin, pinot noir. Can you see a theme here? I love my nightly glass of wine or two. I have been trying to cut some out through the week and only have few on the weekend but I enjoy it & have been struggling. I have read that my lovely wine habit is stalling my weight loss. How is this even fair? Oh well, such is life and I have been trying to find balance in it all.
  • Thermogenic
    Thermogenic Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I second this website. I has led me to rediscover my "love" of Natty Light. When it's cold, it tastes like nothing, but it's cheap and gets the job done. I figure there's no point in losing weight if you have to give up enjoying life, so I still drink too much on Saturdays. Probably cost me a few pounds over the months, but it was still worth it.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I run so I can drink... More running means I am allowed to have real beer :) less running is rum and diet cola.
  • floersh21
    floersh21 Posts: 44
    Options
    Yup, if it makes you drunk it makes you fat. If you want a weight loss buzz, you will have to stick with crank.

lolol love it
  • Front_Runner
    Front_Runner Posts: 175
    Options
    I was able to drop beer, wine, and most alcohol with no prob. BUT... I have a weakness for margaritas in the summertime. Ugh! Talk about empty (but yummy) calories. And there always seems to be a bowl of tortilla chips and salsa right next to the glass, too... damn you!!! Haha!
  • Nene2404
    Nene2404 Posts: 29
    Options
    I drink Jack Daniels. Jack & Coke, or Lynchberg Lemonade. It's depressing how many calories I actually consume in one drink, but its so worth it!! Moderation is key, and I refuse to give up the things I like.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    So let me just tell you that I was in Nola this past weekend and of course you can't go to Nola and expect to not drink a bit. We only ate 3 times in the 4 days we were there (if we weren't at the bars we were sleeping. No time for food) but I blew up like a balloon. I looked so swollen when I got home! Just looking at pictures from the first day to the last day I looked like I easily had bells palsy or something along those lines. And I didn't really drink much beer or wine (yum yum) at all. It was a lot of vodka sprites and hurricanes (can't go to Nola without having a few hurricanes :) ).

Now that I've been back home for 5 days and I'm back on my normal diet, I'm not swollen anymore and I look normal. It just saddens me that liquor has that effect on my body.

Good news - it is most likely the sprite! Try flavoured vodka and soda, works much better for me!! :drinker:
  • Ericaaa89
    Ericaaa89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I drink my budlight on the weekend (though I prefer budweiser), but usually it fits into my calories. Tomorrow is the boyfriend's birthday in New Orleans and lord knows it will be filled with horrible food, shots and hand grenades. 1 Hand Grenade = 750 calories. I'd like to say that I'm going to be strong and not have one yada yada blah blah but lord knows at 3am when I'm already in the zone "drunk me" will have one to end the night right. I've accepted it.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Ahhhh I love liquor posts. This is probably the main reason I'm using MFP. Eating right? No problem! Exercising? No problem! Controlling my liquor habit? Problem! :laugh:

No seriously though, I've cut down considerably. I used to just drink hundreds of calories of hard liquor every single day, drunk ate afterwards, and slowly gained weight, even though I exercise like a mad woman.

I've learned how to live without it and just enjoy it when I really wanted to. Nowadays it's usually something I reserve the weekends for.

One trick is to get reeeeeeaaaalllly good liquor. If you get the crappy stuff, you'll want to mix it with sugary mixers that not only add loads of calories, but give you a stinkin' hangover the next day. If you get the good stuff, you can easily make it a sipping drink and have it straight or on the rocks. It'll do its duty and you get it straight from the source!

If you must mix things, use diet drinks. I love mixing a 1.5 oz. jigger of vodka with diet Coke. Or one of my other go to lighter drinks is my version of an Irish Mule: 1.5 oz. of Jamison whiskey, a bit of Splenda, a splash of Diet Ginger Ale, lime/fresh ginger/mint muddled together, and either mint/lime/candied ginger as garnish. About 100 calories of goodness!

I don't mind beer either but stick to the light beer. Select 55 is theee lowest cal beer I know of...

As far as wine, I say drink a glass each night! I hear there are health benefits to drinking a glass a day....

Cheers! :drinker: It doesn't necessarily have to destroy you. You just have to find crafty ways to enjoy it.
  • GatorGirl0890
    GatorGirl0890 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Guiness is actually pretty low calorie for a dark beer: http://www.asylum.com/2009/03/17/is-it-good-for-you-debunking-10-myths-about-guinness-stout/

I know that's not the most reputable source, but I've read it on other sites, too, and this one includes fun Guiness facts.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    You consider 68 calories to be a lot?

PER OUNCE. You have 5 oz, you just ate a meal....

And 5 drinks. Just as much alcohol as 5 typical beers or 5 glasses of wine.

I have found that weight loss has lowered my tolerance to the point where I have to work really hard at having too many calories of booze in one session.
  • jolicom
    jolicom Posts: 4
    Options
    Not really.... Guiness is actually better for you to drink than most light beers. Yeah, you are at 120 cal... but it sure tastes a lot better than a Bud Light. I'll skip something during the day to enjoy one of these in an evening - or go swimming - or walk an extra mile....
  • krissymonique
    krissymonique Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Vodka.... with club soda and a splash of low cal cran, then I can drink more :)
  • reallyally1
    Options
    I love beer. The end.

(Beck's Light is a godsend... only 64 calories and it doesn't taste like alcoholic soda water - unlike MGD 64)
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I told my boyfriend that 2 1/2pints is about 1800 cal he got freaked
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    yeah, who drinks -only- 5 oz?

here is my take. I have a love affair with Sunday Funday. I go out with my favorite 'burg guy friends and drink for 3 hours.
    we typically all buy a round of shots. <2$ you call it!> so that's about 4-5 shots on top of my drinks. We're all professional drinkers,
    It's ridiculous, our tolerance.

Sadly, I don't like beer. I take their cranberry cocktail, vodka and peach schnapps. It's 216 cals. By the time I'm done, it's about 1700. <they pour light on sunday nights, jerks!> not including the shots. <thankfully, my husband is always the dd on sunday nights!> our occasional friday is much easier, byob + diet sunkist = 133 cals per drink.

Sunday funday is my weakness. above ice cream, chocolate, breads and well, most every weakness. I have calculated, that if I have a 200 cal deficit + extra exercise, I can afford sundays. and jack up the exercise on both ends on the occasional Friday My daughter starts band camp next week, so hopefully it'll get me out more to exercise.
    December is a huge problem in our fam. 3 birthday parties (including mine) 2 Christmas parties ( I host 1) plus 2 back to back parties out of state. Really trying trying to hit my goal by dec. 1st! I do stop drinking between Jan 1st and st pat's day!

Take my chocolate, take labor day desserts and potato salads, the excess Halloween candy from the kids' bags, take Thanksgiving pies and deviled eggs (ok, all but 3) but do not touch my sunday drinks!
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    I never thought I would enjoy 55 calorie beer but yes I have found to LOVE it. :drinker:
  • buckmeatball
    buckmeatball Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Vodka and raspberry lemonade Crystal Light, or gin and diet tonic. Hell, even half a fifth is only 750(ish) calories. That's not even one entire Insanity workout.