Anyone have advice for menopausal woman?

Options
I am 54 years old and in menopause. I stick to a 1200 calorie a day diet and am having a very hard time losing weight. I have lost about 31 pounds since April 1, with about 60 more to go.

The last few weeks I have lost hardly anything! Doc says it's likely hormonal and don't eat less that 1200 calories a day. What can I do to lose 2 pounds a week?

I am very frustrated!!! Help me!

Replies

• bethmccrory
    bethmccrory Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I checked out a book from the Library - The Core Balance Diet. Specifically for menopausal women.
    It may help.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    There is a group of Peri-menopausal and menopausal ladies here. Lots of good advice there.
  • Mahalo123
    Mahalo123 Posts: 5
    Options
    sorry i am in the same boat: :sad:
  • wildvintagechic
    wildvintagechic Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I am also in the same boat, although waiting on blood tests to eliminate other possibilities like thyroid. If you get any good advice or ideas share, share, share!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    What can I do to lose 2 pounds a week?

more exercise, less carbs from starches, keep sugars down so you have to burn fat for energy rather than the sugar in your system. yep, the older we get, the harder it is.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    :smile: 31 lbs since April is amazing! Well done! It took me 8 months to lose 33 lbs - I'm 49! Plateaus are inevitable ? Hang in there!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    And here I thought I was doing pretty good with 17 pounds in 10 weeks. I have been going through menopause for 13 years...and I have diabetes. I lost less than a half pound this past week. But I knew going in that this was NOT going to be a race. This is a lifelong commitment.
  • grapegirl1
    grapegirl1 Posts: 22
    Options
    My advice at 51 yrs old is keep kick'n that menopause in the butt! Move! Move! Move! I haven't change anything much..including my most needed wine. But I move it every day. Slow but sure and I'm a nicer person for it too! Good Luck.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    What you eat is important. I hate to tell you, as we age, our bodies can't metabolize carbohydrates as well as they used to. Stick to fruits, veggies, lots of protein, very little "easy" carbs (bread, potatoes, rice).

And move. A lot. Build muscle.
  • Sonya139
    Sonya139 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What you eat is important. I hate to tell you, as we age, our bodies can't metabolize carbohydrates as well as they used to. Stick to fruits, veggies, lots of protein, very little "easy" carbs (bread, potatoes, rice).

I totally agree with move more and build muscle through strength training. You accomplished a great deal. Just hit a plateau.
  • Barb10000
    Options
    Thanks, all for the advice ... AND encouragement. When I "platueau" I do tend to forget the progress I've made!

Great advice!
  • PositiveMiMi
    Options
    As a 45 yr old who when through menopause at age 35, I have to be honest and tell you it is very tough. First, you must get your protein in, and the water. Second hand weights, walking and lots of fresh veggies. I used natural supplements such as wild yam, Black Cohosh (Black cohosh (known as both Actaea racemosa and Cimicifuga racemosa), a member of the buttercup family, is a perennial plant that is native to North America. Other common names include black snakeroot, bugbane, bugwort, rattleroot, rattletop, rattleweed, and macrotys. Insects avoid it, which accounts for some of these common names). If you fuel your body well, and walk, walk, walk then use hand weight consistantly you will get there and look great.
  • pepsigirl53
    Options
    something I have found that is also helpful is try on some of your old fat clothes and then try on something you haven't been able to wear for a while...the smaller clothes may be tight but, you couldn't wear them 31 pounds ago !!! this ego boost could get that weight loss going again because sometimes our outlook on the weight loss changes and our weight loss reflects it...I have lost 20 pounds since the middle of April and was discouraged about it seeming to not be going any lower...tried 2 things that I'm sure is going to help me...1st I tried on some short pants I couldn't wear last summer...they fit....and since hunting season is fast approaching I tried on my long johns ( and they actually fit which hasn't been the case for years !!! ) I also started walking and using my exercize ball again ( my exercize ball had gotten dusty cuz I injured my knee in April and hadn't been able to work out until recently )...
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

This is what worked for me. I went through surgical menopause due to a hysterectomy. I pretty much cut out bread and grains/starches partly because I wanted to lose the weight but also because I have crohn's and for some reason I can't digest those items easily. I also zig-zagged my calories. I would do a couple of days at 1200, then jump up to 1400 for a day, drop down to 1300 for a day then back to 1200 for a couple of days.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Send me a friend request and I'll look over your diary and see if there is something that might help.

I'm 52 and have had a hysterectomy.

Ruth
  • davepavone
    Options
    YES be NICE to the people around you including your Husband (If you have one)

:-) more cardio less Carbs
  • pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I find that just diet won't do it anymore, I need to exercise 5-6 times a week to lose weight. Keep moving and good luck!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm perimenopausal and it's SO much harder at 49 than it used to be! For me, netting (or going under) 1200 slowed things down. Upping to about 1400/day (net -- eating exercise calories back) seemed to help. Also, losing two pounds a week is SO HARD! Suggest 1 or even 1/2 pound a week -- slow and steady wins the race and takes some of the "goal" pressure off. I also noticed a difference when I drastically increased the intensity of my cardio work-outs and doing strength-training in earnest. But at the end of the day, I figure -- where would I be if I didn't do any of these things? Better to do them with painstakingly slow progress -- but progress nonetheless -- than not at all. At least that's what works for me.
  • SherriLibrarian
    Options
    Along with cutting out simple carbs as others have said, Increasing exercise has helped me most, especially with mood and energy. If you have hot flashes, Estroven over the counter supplements help.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Exercise! It increases your metabolism which decreases during/after menopause. Do both strength training to and aerobic.

I'm not in menopause yet but I am 51 and in perimenopause and I truly believe that regular exercise is key at this stage of life.