Shoes and Wii Balance Board

Options
Is it ok to wear shoes on the Wii Balance board? I'm currently using the EA Active game and I don't want to keep taking my shoes on and off for excercises but I don't want to break the thing. Obviously I'm not jumping up and down on it but I thought I would ask.

Replies

• prairiemom
    prairiemom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay to have your shoes on, I have always just worked out in my bear feet. I slip if I try to have anyhthing one my feet.
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I don't have the EA but when I play the Wii Fit Plus on the balance board I always have my shoes on. I just don't feel like I'm working out if I'm in socks or barefoot. Also, I think wearing shoes helps support my feet. My workout shoes don't get worn much outside so they don't get too dirty, but I still wipe down the board every week or so to keep it clean.
  • MrsHerdewel
    Options
    The wii balance board is very sinsitive, my family broke one while wearing shoes. So we take ours off just to be safe. It helps if you buy the sleve, it's like a little grip for your feet so that they don't slip off as easy.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    For both, I use socks with sticky dots on the bottom (a kind of slippers). I don't workout with shoes on. That way I work on the little stability muscels in your ankles at the same time.
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    I don't wear shoes, but I think you're encouraged to do so. Generally, people do wear shoes while exercising, so I'm sure the creators took that into consideration when designing the board.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    From what I've read (just got a balance board for Xmas) you're not supposed to wear shoes on it.

It's not in the instruction guide, I just researched it online. And in all the games, when it shows people stepping onto the board, they're not wearing shoes.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080703111051AA1U37g
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I wear regular socks when I use mine, but I also have the sleeve on it, and you can actually feel the grip.
  • pbenison
    pbenison Posts: 102
    Options
    I do not wear my shoes either. That may just be a preference because I like socks! I will say though that my husband was wearing his shoes while playing the skateboarding game his shoes would "squeak" on the floor (because you have to "move" your "board" by moving your foot against the floor). That was a little irritating for him and he did not wear them the next time with better results.

I am inclined agree about the senstivity of the board though, and am pessimistic I might do damage with the shoes on...
  • sweetpea3333
    Options
    I thought you should wear shoes for support on the wii but I don't and it works fine.... Love my wii
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I do not wear shoes on the balance board. I use to take Yoga classes and got the Wii for the Yoga excercises and just naturally started off bare footed. I'll have to check out the sleeve mentioned in several of the posts.

JAM
  • jam0525
    Options
    I do not wear shoes on the balance board. I use to take Yoga classes and got the Wii for the Yoga excercises and just naturally started off bare footed. I'll have to check out the sleeve mentioned in several of the posts.

JAM
  • jam0525
    Options

JAM
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Well, I just got my Wii Fit Plus for Christmas. All the books are still handy, so I went and looked to see what the book says. In my booklet (could be different for older versions) on page 2 it is titled Health and Safety Information. It starts with a little blurb about precautions when used by children. Then it goes on with "To prevent injury and/or prevent damage to the Wii Balance Board or surrounding objects, follow these guidelins during gameplay:" Then it has a bulletted list. The second bullet says "Do not wear shoes or socks while using the board. Playing barefoot should reduce the risk of slipping or falling. If your feet become damp during gameplay, stop and dry your feet and the board before continuing."
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    hhmmm.....guess I need to quit wearing shoes while using my wii fit. thats gonna be weird. thanks for all of the info everyone!